What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NRL radio rights thread

Xfactor1979

Bench
I can't stand him because he's not limited to hosting so he's giving opinions and Spillane is steering things. I'd still rather listen to the ABC than any of the other coverage but he's a terrible choice. The female sideline commentator is horrible as well.

Really miss the 2011 coverage which I think was Morrow & Wok from wherever they were broadcasting from.

I can get my mate along with my buddies who were weaned on NBL Basketball and AFL growing up, and tell them that 'the Wood Man' is an NRL host

Shock Horror to them

What do people think of ABC Grandstand's streaming online?

Sometimes they fail to cut to the studio on the live streams, and you hear David Morrow's off air conversations in the box and phone calls back to the studio

This has always been the case I think.

It's purely a stream of the game.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Someone told me yesterday that 2GB did not call the Panthers/Titans game cause of some contract issue.

Not that I wouldve listened to them anyway, but what sort of contract issue would it be ?

Tiger_Tim

Juniors
I'm guessing Triple M's contract stipulates that they do every Sunday 3pm game, and 2GB do Sunday 2pm games.

undertaker

Coach
I'm guessing Triple M's contract stipulates that they do every Sunday 3pm game, and 2GB do Sunday 2pm games.

Correct.

2GB have the commercial rights to 4 matches: only the Friday night game that is shown live on Ch9 into NSW, Saturday 5:30pm, a Saturday 7:30pm match, and the Sunday 2pm match.

Triple M have the commercial rights to both Friday night games (one aired on Triple M Sydney and the other on Triple M Brisbane, unless the rare situation arises when Ch9 decide to show the same FNF match live into both NSW/QLD), Sunday 3pm game, Sunday night football and Monday night football. Also, they have the rights to the 2nd Saturday 7:30pm game on weeks when there are 2 Saturday 7:30pm matches. So, I assume that in that case, 2GB will broadcast one Sat 7:30pm and Triple M will broadcast the other. The Friday night game shown live on Ch9 into NSW is the only match that both 2GB and Triple M will share.

However, for Triple M Sydney, all of those timeslots are contingent on when the Sydney Swans play, since the AFL radio deal Triple M signed has precedence over the NRL one because it was signed first. So, in other words, if there are 2 Saturday 7:30pm games but the Swans are also playing in that timeslot, Triple M won't broadcast the NRL match (not because they don't want to, but because they are contractually not allowed to). The same thing also applies if the Swans play on Friday night or Sunday. I don't know if this also applies to Brisbane if the Lions are playing. Hopefully this situation will be fixed when the current AFL radio deal expires. So, having a look at both of these links below, you will see which games Triple M won't be covering that they otherwise would be covering if the Swans weren't playing (at least if you live in Sydney):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_NRL_season_results
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_AFL_season

Anyways, regarding the Panthers/Titans match, about time 2GB copped a dose of their own medicine after they tried to shut out commercial AM radio stations such as 2UE and 2SM from covering Monday Night Football in 2007. Just goes to show how much of a farce it was for the NRL to have the 'exclusive' radio rights for 13 years or so.

Edit: I just had a look at the Triple M website and yes, the rule regarding Swans matches for Sydneysiders also does apply for Brisbane Lions matches for the folk who live in Brisbane

Last edited:

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Thanks undertaker. Pretty much clears things up.

A lot of people are listening to Triple M more due to more NRL coverage.

Earlier on I switching between stations ABC, Triple M and 2GB but I think I'll stick to one on Saturday alvos and switch back to the AM stations when the 5.30 game kicks off.

On 2GB all you'll hear is :

"Ray, I went to the barber shop the other day to get my haircut and I noticed they dont use those little clippers anymore. Why is that?"

On Triple M, apart from the usual stuff of AC/DC, Cold Chisel, Nickelback, Foo Fighters, you'll hear:

"Boys, last nights match, what a performance that was? I mean their defence was solid but their attack was outstanding. What are your thoughts?"

If I wanted to get updates of injuries from the previous match, and who's in who's out for the next matches, and people's opinion's of the game, I'd listen to Triple M.

undertaker

Coach
A lot of people are listening to Triple M more due to more NRL coverage.

That's correct. It's interesting I recently went back to my parents' home in the Hunter over Easter. 2HD used to call Knights games as well as take the CCT coverage on both Saturday and Sunday for years. However, when KO-FM got the rights to call Knights matches (as well as take the CCT coverage) in 2007, the Hunter only got Saturday's coverage of matches. So, if the Knights didn't play on Sunday, there was absolutely no radio coverage of any NRL games on commerical radio that day. Can you believe that? Newcastle was somewhat lucky under the previous radio rights deal to be one of the extremely few places outside of Sydney and Brisbane to get Triple M's MNF coverage, as many people were bitching about this for years about the limited access of MNF coverage, especially in regional areas. Now that Triple M have expanded their broadcast to many regional areas under this new radio rights deal, this comments are very rare.

Since Triple M have hopped on board, Newcastle not only get all the games that Triple M broadcast, but also the pre-game show on Sunday. How cool's that? It almost feels like 2GB don't exist anymore. Furthermore, Star FM (who are the commercial radio station that airs NRL matches on the Central Coast, which I can also pick up on the radio when I'm at my parent's house even though they live in the Hunter region) used to take the CCT coverage but I believe they also switched over and are now taking Triple M's coverage instead:lol: So, the CCT - who used to boast about their 'broadcast reach' into regional areas for years, are not covered in as many areas outside of Sydney like they used to.

On 2GB all you'll hear is :

"Ray, I went to the barber shop the other day to get my haircut and I noticed they dont use those little clippers anymore. Why is that?"

On Triple M, apart from the usual stuff of AC/DC, Cold Chisel, Nickelback, Foo Fighters, you'll hear:

"Boys, last nights match, what a performance that was? I mean their defence was solid but their attack was outstanding. What are your thoughts?"

If I wanted to get updates of injuries from the previous match, and who's in who's out for the next matches, and people's opinion's of the game, I'd listen to Triple M.

Given the situation you just described, I agree with the part in bold.

The CCT program on Saturday arvo are still talking about all thing unrelated to RL, whether it be cross-dressing, dating advice, sexual innuendos, counselling etc.? Doesn't surprise me. And the hypocrisy being that this was the very type of stuff that they used to excoriate The Footy Show for at every opportunity for years. I still can't believe this is the 'exclusive' garbage many people were subjected to and why the 'exclusive radio rights' was one of the worst things the NRL administration under Gallop ever agreed to. Funny how after News Ltd lost their control of the game with the formation of the ARLC that they did away with the exclusivity and Hadley didn't care so much when Triple M was taken on board by the commission, yet when we had major events such as the 2008 RLWC, 2GB got the rights on a silver platter with no word being said, yet it was reported that 2UE were prepared to bid even more money than what 2GB offered. Coincidence? Sorry, I know this sounds like a broken record that's been mentioned numerous times, but it still leaves me feeling a bit indignated that the game was whored out to 2GB and Ch9 for a fraction of what the game was really worth (I'm sure Brutus would have a lot to say about this) and hence we lost many years of growth and development in that regard. When I remember Graeme Hughes said that 2SM was not approached by the NRL at the end of the last radio rights in 2009, it made me think "Well, what's the point in having a bid/auction if you are not going to allow ppl to bid, let alone have a preconceived notion of who you want to get the rights (2GB)?"

Regarding the bit on Ray, I thought he stopped calling games for 2GB as of last year when he superseded Vossy as the 2nd caller on Ch9? Doesn't Andrew Moore now call the matches? The last time I ever heard a game Ray called on radio was the Bulldogs/Knights Rd 25 2011 match (where Barba scored that freakish try at the end to win the game).

my only complaint with triple m is having to hear bill harrigan.

100% agree. That is a massive waste of a salary to pay someone who's only there to commentate if any video ref or controversial ref decisions arise. IMO, that money can be better spent elsewhere.

OT, I forgot to add in my previous post that here's the commercial NRL radio schedule for those who live in Sydney:

http://www.rugbyleaguelive.com.au/schedule
http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sport/nrl/triple-m-nrl-footy-call/

Last edited:

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Regarding the bit on Ray, I thought he stopped calling games for 2GB as of last year when he superseded Vossy as the 2nd caller on Ch9? Doesn't Andrew Moore now call the matches? The last time I ever heard a game Ray called on radio was the Bulldogs/Knights Rd 25 2011 match (where Barba scored that freakish try at the end to win the game).

He very rarely calls games on 2GB now but Im pretty sure he called one of the Thursday games and a Friday night one, but on the 5.30 Saturday match and the 2pm Sunday match, both are called by Andrew Moore and Joel Caine would call the 7.30 Saturday night match. Moore is main caller though.

I think Channel 9 have agreed that Hadley calls at least one game and Rabs calls the other two, so this weekend Rabs would probably do the Friday night match in NSW and the Sunday game, which would mean Hadley back on 2GB calling Sunday matches unless otherwise.

Its interesting about the 7.30 match. I mean for years they would only call the 5.30 match and get updates for the next match, if there was more than one match on a Saturday. So it must be just last year they extended their Saturday coverage, right??

If you go back to 2000 and 2001 when 2GB bought the rights, I think the 5.30 game was called by John Harker in 2000, Peter Wilkins in 2001 and Andrew Voss, ironically, would call the 7.30 match, also occassionlly John Gibbs would call matches back then.

But when Raaaaayy took over in 2002, they stopped calling the 7.30 match for a while.

One thing about Triple M is they at least travel to the matches, unlike 2GB who apparently call from the Interactive studio, even when the match isnt interstate.

undertaker

Coach
I think Channel 9 have agreed that Hadley calls at least one game and Rabs calls the other two, so this weekend Rabs would probably do the Friday night match in NSW and the Sunday game, which would mean Hadley back on 2GB calling Sunday matches unless otherwise.

That's right, and the reason why Rabs did the Thursday and Friday night games with Hadley doing the Sunday game. Hadley said in last week's Penrith/Gold Coast broadcast that Rabs would be "returning to Sunday football to call the Dragons/Knights match".

Its interesting about the 7.30 match. I mean for years they would only call the 5.30 match and get updates for the next match, if there was more than one match on a Saturday. So it must be just last year they extended their Saturday coverage, right??

If you go back to 2000 and 2001 when 2GB bought the rights, I think the 5.30 game was called by John Harker in 2000, Peter Wilkins in 2001 and Andrew Voss, ironically, would call the 7.30 match, also occassionlly John Gibbs would call matches back then.

The 5:30 fixture was only brought in 2001 to replace the Saturday afternoon fixture because teams dreaded hosting it due to poor crowd attendances.

John Gibbs calling matches?:lol: Anyways, what the hell happened to him? Last I heard of him was that he was in some big financial trouble. Last I saw of him on tv/radio was when he regularly did the "Round the Grounds" report on The Sunday Footy Show (back in the days when Fatty hosted it until the end of 2005. I believe Gibbsy is Fatty's manager IIRC).

2GB got the 'exclusive' rights in 2000. Harker was the caller in their inaugural year, with Wilkins replacing him in 2001 before Raaaaaaay shoved him and the other CCT members at 2GB aside the following year after he had a big powwow with 2UE over the new Asian owners trying to downgrade his role, hence leading to Singo giving him his own morning radio show if he jumped ship.

I was always under the impression that 2GB only did the 5:30pm game and the only time they ever called the 7:30pm one was if it was a finals game or during the Origin period where there was generally only one Saturday night match, played at 7:30pm. Anyhow, it is still a disgrace that coverage for the 7:30pm fixture was blacked out for so many years and funny how only NOW have they decided

One thing about Triple M is they at least travel to the matches, unlike 2GB who apparently call from the Interactive studio, even when the match isnt interstate.

That is true about Triple M, although the Raiders/Dragons Rd 3 Sunday night match was definitely called off the monitor, since Anthony Maroon was commentating alongside Joey, who had been at the Penrith/Souffs match earlier that day for Ch9. So, I highly doubt Joey could've made it to Canberra less than 2 hours after the conclusion of the game at Penrith. I don't know if Triple M travel interstate (e.g. do they actually go to Brisbane/Gold Coast to do the Friday night match shown into QLD?)

And yeah, I agree that it is very slack with 2GB calling the game off monitors even when the match was in NSW. Very lazy and doesn't really show much passion for the game. I highly doubt the AFL do this.

Parra

Referee
Sydney radio needs a 24/7 sports channel. Probably could use 2 of them.

NRL could have one of it's own, or combine with some other codes for blanket radio coverage on a station they own between them. A channel for sport, owned by the sports.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I believe John Gibbs is still on 2UE, since they brought back their Sports Today with Alexander, but I dont know if he is on it every night as I heard it one night and it had Andrew Voss and Alexander, also Tim Webster and occasionally Rebecca Wilson are on it.

Im pretty sure Triple M travels even if a Monday night match is Interstate, but dont know if its all the time.

I remember one game last year or the year before I listened to the end of it and it mustve been a Melbourne home game, they probably called the game from the TV cause Steve Mascord was interviewing one of the players via mobile phone. So either the boys didnt travel or the microphone wasnt working.

Still better than 2GB, even at Wollongong they still call the game from the studio.

undertaker

Coach
Still better than 2GB, even at Wollongong they still call the game from the studio.

THat really is very piss poor if you ask me. I guarantee you more than 50% of those who live in Sydney on this forums would travel to Wollongong if they were given the opportunity to cover a RL match, rather than call it from the 'interactive studio'. I certainly would, even batting the heavy rain and peak hour traffic on Anzac Parade from my place here if there were a game on tonight.

Brutus

Referee
John Gibbs has been a mainstay at 2ue for years.

He currently hosts sports today during the week and the weekend edition with Fatty.

Gibbo is one of the best sports radio hosts around.

azzah72

Bench
John Gibbs has been a mainstay at 2ue for years.

He currently hosts sports today during the week and the weekend edition with Fatty.

Gibbo is one of the best sports radio hosts around.

and has an amazing little black book.

If it wasn't for the rest of the station being so shit, Sports today should have a good following as it is easily the best sports show on radio.

All the shows throughout the day let it down.

undertaker

Coach
and has an amazing little black book.

If it wasn't for the rest of the station being so shit, Sports today should have a good following as it is easily the best sports show on radio.

All the shows throughout the day let it down.

Really? I agree that Tim Webster is lame (loved how he would respond like a poor 6 year old child when ppl bagged him out on his show, yet someone like Lawsy would say "Go away you bastard!"). However, you don't like Paul Murray?

undertaker

Coach
Something that definitely caught my attention last night whilst watching The Footy Show (which I rarely do):

I don't know about you folk who live in Sydney, but did anyone notice last night the numerous ads 2GB played of the Continuous Call Team during The Footy Show? It reminded me a lot of when Ch7 played a lot of Sydney Swans ads when they had The Matty Johns show. I find this absolutely no coincidence at all, especially since I don't ever recall ads of the CCT whenever I've watched Ch9 since I've been in Sydney (let alone, surprise surprise, during The Footy Show when there is a larger amount of RL ppl tuned into watching a certain tv program).

Maybe the CCT ratings have been down since Triple M came on board this year, since they now have to compete with Triple M on both Friday nights (where they broadcast the same match that is shown live by Ch9 into NW) and more importantly, their crucial Sunday afternoon coverage (although they call different games - 2GB doing 2pm and Triple M 3pm - their coverage that day overlaps as they both broadcast from 12-6pm). You've got to remember for so many years 2GB had the monopoly in that timeslot and now I hear a lot of people have taken a strong liking to Triple M's NRL coverage since it expanded this year.

Methinks this could be a somewhat desperate attempt by 2GB, given that their overall radio ratings have declined since Hadley was outed as a bully in the SMH last month.