What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NRL radio rights thread

El Diablo

Post Whore
from page 3 of the FIN

Radio row over NRL rights

Fairfax Radio’s refusal to allow Macquarie Radio Network to use its Brisbane station to broadcast MRN’s NRL coverage may result in the 4BC owner participating in the football code’s new radio rights.

On Wednesday night the NRL had still not finalised signed contracts with radio broadcasters for the new five-year deals, less than 24 hours before the season kick off.

The opening round game between the Sydney Roosters and the South Sydney Rabbitohs at the Allianz Stadium starts at 8.05pm on Thursday.

The NRL is expected to finalise its radio deals with various broadcasters on Thursday morning and issue an announcement before the start of the game.

Fairfax Radio chief executive Adam Lang has held firm about not giving John Singelton’s MRN access to its 4BC station as it had under the previous NRL agreement.

As a result, It is understood that MRN has hit a snag

undertaker

Coach
And it was Gallop's mob that allowed such a pathetic situation.

Great to see Triple M calling plenty of games each weekend.

Fatty and Gibbsy will also be a bonus.

Although it would've been better if more stations could've broadcasted (e.g. 2UE, 2SM etc.), this new deal with Triple M on board is 1000x better than what the fans have had to put up with since post-SL. Such a huge shame that we've had to wait until now to not only get adequate tv coverage in Victoria/South Australia/Western Australia, but also decent radio coverage in RL heartlands. Shows how incompetent Gallop was..

Btw, What's this new show Fatty/Gibsy is doing? I didn't know Gibbsy was still around. Been a long time since I last heard of him (back when he did live updates from the ground on the Sunday Footy Show when Fatty was still hosting it) . Also, I assume that Fatty has permanently moved back to Sydney now if he's doing the 2UE show (as he moved to the Gold Coast a few years ago when his son, Matt, was trying to get into the Titans side)

It also looks like the Sports Today show has canned DUI, since I only see Gibbys and Brandy on the promo

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
I saw the link which also had Triple M's new commentary team.

Anthony Moron is back. Far out, the LOL@50uff$ man better not dish up the same old hackneyed expressions he did during his first stint at Triple M, such as "smack bang in the middle of....", as well as ramblings of catching the 393 bus through Kingsford (which he also mentioned several times in commentary). I have fond memories of him being interviewed blind drunk after 50uff$ were readmitted back into the comp:lol:

Sailor...looks like he got his noggin back in the media again. Clearly, success and popularity got to his head to the point where he didn't give a stuff about the game's betterment and it was all about maintaining his media profile. Since losing his gigs at Fox and Ch9 because of it, he has toned down his "Dellavision" act quite a bit, as noticed when I saw him a few times on Ch10's breakfast program in the NRL segment.

Tallis....how this guy keeps getting gigs when he can barely string two sentences is beyond me (although I assume he will predominantly call games for Brisbane viewers only, which means the ppl in NSW won't have to put up with him).

Bill Harrigan....interesting selection. Wonder how much vitriol he's going to cop at the grounds.:lol:

Otherwise, happy with the other personnel that have been selected.

On a side note, I see 2GB will be covering 4 games this round. However, good to see that they've upped the ante and are now covering the Saturday 7:30pm game, which they only did during the shortened rounds in the Origin period. They timeslot has been neglected for far too long.

Last edited:

Rosetta

Juniors
ABC Grandstand are calling every match this weekend, all bar 1 (Monday) is on local radio into ACT, NSW and Queensland, it looks like MMM still have exclusive rights on MNF.

nrlnrl

First Grade
interested for feedback on last night, what was Triple M's coverage like ? ( did they do any post-game ? ) I only heard a couple of minute of pre-game

undertaker

Coach
ABC Grandstand are calling every match this weekend, all bar 1 (Monday) is on local radio into ACT, NSW and Queensland, it looks like MMM still have exclusive rights on MNF.

From what I know, ABC are only allowed to cover MNF if it's in a regional area (e.g. Wollongong, Newcastle etc.) and even then, it is only broadcast on ABC in that area.

Jeffmister

Juniors
interested for feedback on last night, what was Triple M's coverage like ? ( did they do any post-game ? ) I only heard a couple of minute of pre-game
I quite enjoyed the coverage. The team of Dan, Joey and Ryan Girdler were great to listen to while including some humor - highlight was Joey going against the 'Kick Analyzer' when someone was about to kick.

There was a half-hour post-game titled 'The Verdict' like they did with MNF for the past few years.

Brutus

Referee
I like Triple M's coverage too, but I just wish they'd f**king quit playing songs.

If they are going to cover the RL then COVER THE RL!!!

I know they are primarily a music station, but...

There's only so many times someone can tolerate The Offspring, f**king Chisel and New Sensation by INXS.

Jeffmister

Juniors
I like Triple M's coverage too, but I just wish they'd f**king quit playing songs.

If they are going to cover the RL then COVER THE RL!!!

I know they are primarily a music station, but...

There's only so many times someone can tolerate The Offspring, f**king Chisel and New Sensation by INXS.
I haven't heard them playing songs during the coverage (NRL Primetime to the end of The Verdict), apart from snippets leading into an ad-break.

franklin2323

Immortal
I had to do a bit of driving yesterday so got a decent listen a decent program.

About 5 songs an hour so reasonable prob 10mins of ads & news.The rest is 100% footy talk none of the garbage the other station goes on about. I will prob still listen to ABC sunday. Sat they have AFL triple M is the Sat station.

As for regional coverage. They mentioned going to Coffs harbour, Orange, Charters towers, Darling downs. :lol: Continous Call has lost some stations there.

juanfarkall

Coach
Caught some of the Offload yesterday.
As much as I loathe Tallis, the MMM shows is vastly superior to Hadley's mob of dribblers.

Brutus

Referee
It's nice to have some choice now. No need to even flick on Hadley's mob for score updates now.

Good to see ABC Grandstand has two passionate RL lovers fronting the show on Sunday (Debbie Spillane and Bill Woods)...not.

Surely they can do better than Bill f**king Woods. He's spent the past 10 years bagging the code.

Girdler is a great addition to RL radio and it's good to see he'll be getting a gig on the new Back Page.

It's just a shame they've got AFL lover Tony Squires heading up the Saturday Offload. He can't help but make AFL references all the friggin time.

Still, we have greater choice this year which is a good thing.

undertaker

Coach
It's nice to have some choice now. No need to even flick on Hadley's mob for score updates now.

Good to see ABC Grandstand has two passionate RL lovers fronting the show on Sunday (Debbie Spillane and Bill Woods)...not.

Surely they can do better than Bill f**king Woods. He's spent the past 10 years bagging the code.

Girdler is a great addition to RL radio and it's good to see he'll be getting a gig on the new Back Page.

It's just a shame they've got AFL lover Tony Squires heading up the Saturday Offload. He can't help but make AFL references all the friggin time.

Still, we have greater choice this year which is a good thing.

Huh? I thought Woods was an NRL fan. Didn't he write Hazem El Masri's biography?

And also, I thought Tony Squires was a St George supporter.

Brutus

Referee
Huh? I thought Woods was an NRL fan. Didn't he write Hazem El Masri's biography?

And also, I thought Tony Squires was a St George supporter.

Yes Woods is a Dogs fan and Squires is a St george fan.

But Woods' first love is union and Squires is now an AFL man after originally being a RL player in the Newcastle comp when he was younger.

Squires loves his AFL now and lets people know it. I used to like him as host of The Fat though.

Good to hear no Spillane and Woods on the Ice Bath. We have Wok and Thirsty back!!!

juanfarkall

Coach

But Woods' first love is union and Squires is now an AFL man after originally being a RL player in the Newcastle comp when he was younger.

Squires loves his AFL now and lets people know it. I used to like him as host of The Fat though.

Good to hear no Spillane and Woods on the Ice Bath. We have Wok and Thirsty back!!!

Must have run out of things to talk about which involved the Dogs

Is that just the impression because he fronted tens union coverage?

Xfactor1979

Bench
What do people think of ABC Grandstand's streaming online?

Sometimes they fail to cut to the studio on the live streams, and you hear David Morrow's off air conversations in the box and phone calls back to the studio

carlosthedwarf

First Grade

I can't stand him because he's not limited to hosting so he's giving opinions and Spillane is steering things. I'd still rather listen to the ABC than any of the other coverage but he's a terrible choice. The female sideline commentator is horrible as well.

Really miss the 2011 coverage which I think was Morrow & Wok from wherever they were broadcasting from.