What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NRL will consider bringing broadcast production in-house

taipan

Referee
Some games cost $200k to produce for ch9... So I don't know how much more FTA will bring in. The real benefit is making more from the other games

I agree FTA monies will be falling,advertsing dollar and TV ratings are down .But one factor to consider apart from the new platforms around that have heaps of cash ,is ch10 being backed by the Yank CBS organisation.They could come in and ream, bot ch9 and 7 in a bidding war if they really wanted the code IMO.
Don't forget that monies that costs ch9 to produce would include the cost of commentators.My understanding is the NRL would produce (they already have spent $150m on their TV/digital dept0 and the FTA would provide the commentators.

In the long run as long as there is some on FTA ,Foxtel and the real big dollars coming from the new outlets,I will sleep easy at night.
The less I see or hear from Buzz/Gould/Warren and some of the other commentary poseurs, the better for the rl humanity.

franklin2323

Immortal
I agree FTA monies will be falling,advertsing dollar and TV ratings are down .But one factor to consider apart from the new platforms around that have heaps of cash ,is ch10 being backed by the Yank CBS organisation.They could come in and ream, bot ch9 and 7 in a bidding war if they really wanted the code IMO.
Don't forget that monies that costs ch9 to produce would include the cost of commentators.My understanding is the NRL would produce (they already have spent $150m on their TV/digital dept0 and the FTA would provide the commentators.

In the long run as long as there is some on FTA ,Foxtel and the real big dollars coming from the new outlets,I will sleep easy at night.
The less I see or hear from Buzz/Gould/Warren and some of the other commentary poseurs, the better for the rl humanity.

That extra money will pay off for the big games no doubt. Depends how it is broken up hopefully they can ensure every game gets picked up.

If NRL does the production they likely do the commentary teams so no guarantee it changes. NBL and V8's do this no matter the station that side of it stays the same

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I'd be very concerned about the quality of the product that the NRL would produce and also the control they would enforce over content ie: comment regarding referees/NRL etc.

Sounds a bit too much Big Brother for mine. Not to mention the fact that we now have a 24/7 footy channel on Fox after many years of wanting this to happen, no doubt this would be on the chopping block if Fox lose broadcasting rights.

SBD82

Coach
With the move toward on demand digital content, I think this is a good move by the NRL.

I don’t see how Fox can afford to lose the subscribers who pay for a bunch of unwanted content to get live NRL.

I think this will give the NRL a stronger position to either negotiate a better deal with Fox, or negotiate getting rid of the exclusivity deal. If nrl.com can deliver better quality programming via subscription, it would open up a new revenue stream. If Fox want to pay to stop this happening, they will have to do better with their offer.

sempmrh

Juniors
I think splitting the games up and allowing the networks to bid for individual time slots would be great for driving up the total dollar value of the deal. If Ten (for example) snagged Friday night as their only game you would think they would promote the hell out of it.

There also needs to be a free to air game on every night (or afternoon in the case of Sunday). I know that was the plan initially last time until Fox cracked it. They can still have their super Saturday block even if one of the games is also on free to air. For me, the main selling point of Fox is all games live, not just two or three games live in a row on Saturday.

Last Week

Bench
The NRL should be focussing on streaming matches and content to go with it.

The NRL app is good for watching live matches from NRL, WNRL and NSW/QLD Cups, but there are flaws.

The NRL app needs rights to immediate replays of matches. None of this shut out period.

They also need to produce more content that isn't just Jamie Soward being salty. Expanding its media arm has got to be it's main investment.

Sports wise, services like Kayo will be the biggest player in the game in regards to sports streaming. Other streaming services are finding issues in content being too spread around. People only want a single app to go to for their sports coverage.

What the NRL needs to realistically work towards in the future is to have some sort of stake in a major steaming service, like Kayo.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
I’ve spoken about this in another thread a few months ago but not only should nrl expand their media department to production especially for bankwest and a roving production team. They should also consider expanding their intellectual property to the super league. Create a international company that supplies a media/digital department to super league and/or the IRL and use the IP they have from here. With Toronto and maybe New York in the future in the super league now could be the right time to strike. Maybe a 50/50 partnership?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think it will be way too early for the nrl to head off on its own path, there’s still at least one big tv deal with the networks left imo. Better they take in stages, so in next deal they get streaming rights to all the games on their own digital subscription channel plus they expand and create a ninth game exclusively for the nrl channel. This will give them chance to learn about production and also to drive subscriptions with min risk, if they had the balls even better to expand by 4 new teams and have two exclusive games but nrl doesn’t have that much risk in them.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
I think it will be way too early for the nrl to head off on its own path, there’s still at least one big tv deal with the networks left imo. Better they take in stages, so in next deal they get streaming rights to all the games on their own digital subscription channel plus they expand and create a ninth game exclusively for the nrl channel. This will give them chance to learn about production and also to drive subscriptions with min risk, if they had the balls even better to expand by 4 new teams and have two exclusive games but nrl doesn’t have that much risk in them.

I think the nrl already produce there own content. The pm13’s was only shown by nrl.com and so are most of the internationals played in Australia over the next couple weeks. Fox and nine currently pick and choose what they want to broadcast and get it for cost. All advertising revenue is cream on the top for them. Don’t forget we are still 3 years away from the new tv deal. Plenty of time to get it all in order. If we wait another broadcast deal it will be 2028 before we do it in-house?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think the nrl already produce there own content. The pm13’s was only shown by nrl.com and so are most of the internationals played in Australia over the next couple weeks. Fox and nine currently pick and choose what they want to broadcast and get it for cost. All advertising revenue is cream on the top for them. Don’t forget we are still 3 years away from the new tv deal. Plenty of time to get it all in order. If we wait another broadcast deal it will be 2028 before we do it in-house?

I know when games are played in perth fox or nine use a sports production company based here, not there own camera crews etc. I guess a similiar partnership could be developed by the nrl. Still can’t see how the $’s add up though. You’d need a lot of subscribers and advertisors to cover $500mill plus production a year! Maybe in a decade or so when every household has smart TVs and is streaming every channel?

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
I know when games are played in perth fox or nine use a sports production company based here, not there own camera crews etc. I guess a similiar partnership could be developed by the nrl. Still can’t see how the $’s add up though. You’d need a lot of subscribers and advertisors to cover $500mill plus production a year! Maybe in a decade or so when every household has smart TVs and is streaming every channel?

somone a lot smarter than me will know the exact costs of producing 1 nrl game but if done right it will give the nrl the freedom every fan wants it to have. This is what helps the afl because they play all there games at mcg or marvel.

I thought that it would be a smart idea to get stadium production rights. Do a deal with the nsw and qld government for Suncorp and bankwest initially. Rugby, soccer, league and internationals all year round. Would save all codes and give the nrl another revenue stream.

The actual cost will more than make up for the initial outlay. The assets are a tax right off and the nrl would then have total control of footage and commentating. The media companies like Foxtel and nine would have to pay the nrl more for the service. Even take a 50/50 partnership type deal with any advertising revenue. Foxtel, Amazon, nine, nbc/10, netflix will just be the delivery system to the fans.

Incorrect

Coach
If they end up splitting games across FTA broadcaster's, say, Thursday night and Sunday arvo games on channel 7, Friday night's on 9 and a Saturday night game on channel 10, that could really f**k with preparation of the draw. Each of those parties will want a massive say in what games they get. I think the NRL would have to do the draw without any consultation with the broadcaster's, then release to them and tell them they have 2 weeks to reply with changes the NRL will consider based on all feedback and then lock it in from there...

Travitoh

First Grade
If the NRL produce their own content then i wouldn't be surprised if we see double or even triple headers most weeks to cut costs.

Latest posts