What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Off-season Thread

denis preston

First Grade
I am boycotting watching Australia play cricket until Smith and Warner are reinstated.
WTF , do you tink they were hard done by ? Makes no differece what other countries have done re penalties this to me was a line in the sand that Australia had to make. The suspensions really put a shitload of pressure on other countries reaction when some of theirs do similar.

dannyt

Coach
WTF , do you tink they were hard done by ? Makes no differece what other countries have done re penalties this to me was a line in the sand that Australia had to make. The suspensions really put a shitload of pressure on other countries reaction when some of theirs do similar.
Nice sentiment.

Wont happen.

The ICC should take control to make sure penalties are consistent across the board.

Shouldn't be left to individual countries

Frank Facer

First Grade
Do you condone cheating?
No, I don't condone cheating, but I don't condone the ACB treating our player so much more hashly than other countries that have had similar things happen. In other cases the ICC handed down their penalty (which the longest was 1 test match) and that was the end of it. But our media and social media crucified our players and wanted them to be made an example of. Even players from other countries said that Smith, Warner and Bancroft's suspension were way over the top and excessive. The late Tony Greig said that ball tampering has been an open secret in cricket for over 50 years or so. Anyway I discussed this enough when it happened. I think it was extremely stupid of them to have done it.

I think most clubs are cheating the salary cap in one way or another. If you don't cheat the salary cap, then you probably won't win a comp. Would you condone us rorting the salary cap or would you prefer we did everything above board and by the book and never winning another comp again. Do we want to be honest losers or cheating winners? We lost the Ashes due to England cheating last decade. Even Freddy Flintoff admitted that England cheated and Martin Trescothic admitted to ball tampering in his autobiography. Flintoff also said that he didn't believe that it was only Smith, Bancroft and Warner who knew about the ball tampering. He said that the rest of the team, especially the bowlers would have known what was going on with the ball, and I agree. Maybe they should have suspended every single Australian player for at least 9 months. In other cases only the player who was actually caught tampering with the ball was penalised, but our cricket board suspends our captain and vice captain for one year and they didn't even tamper with the ball. The current South African captain has been caught ball tampering twice, but that didn't seen to be an issue to the Australian pubic or the Australian media. Our media is a disgrace in more ways than one, but out media is obviously controlled by .....

Other countries get a one match test ban and that is the end of it, but our cricket board chose to suspend our 2 best players for a year, to appease the media and the fans who were baying for blood.

ouryears

Bench
It won’t.
One just did it
One match ban
And they protested it was too harsh
3rd world countries can’t feed their people
But they sure as hell know how to cheat and get away with it
Karma I guess

ouryears

Bench
No, I don't condone cheating, but I don't condone the ACB treating our player so much more hashly than other countries that have had similar things happen. In other cases the ICC handed down their penalty (which the longest was 1 test match) and that was the end of it. But our media and social media crucified our players and wanted them to be made an example of. Even players from other countries said that Smith, Warner and Bancroft's suspension were way over the top and excessive. The late Tony Greig said that ball tampering has been an open secret in cricket for over 50 years or so. Anyway I discussed this enough when it happened. I think it was extremely stupid of them to have done it.

I think most clubs are cheating the salary cap in one way or another. If you don't cheat the salary cap, then you probably won't win a comp. Would you condone us rorting the salary cap or would you prefer we did everything above board and by the book and never winning another comp again. Do we want to be honest losers or cheating winners? We lost the Ashes due to England cheating last decade. Even Freddy Flintoff admitted that England cheated and Martin Trescothic admitted to ball tampering in his autobiography. Flintoff also said that he didn't believe that it was only Smith, Bancroft and Warner who knew about the ball tampering. He said that the rest of the team, especially the bowlers would have known what was going on with the ball, and I agree. Maybe they should have suspended every single Australian player for at least 9 months. In other cases only the player who was actually caught tampering with the ball was penalised, but our cricket board suspends our captain and vice captain for one year and they didn't even tamper with the ball. The current South African captain has been caught ball tampering twice, but that didn't seen to be an issue to the Australian pubic or the Australian media. Our media is a disgrace in more ways than one, but out media is obviously controlled by .....

Other countries get a one match test ban and that is the end of it, but our cricket board chose to suspend our 2 best players for a year, to appease the media and the fans who were baying for blood.
Agree frank.
ACB is a joke
Eat their own

hewi

Bench
Robson to play off the bench, Lomax to start in the centres, Aitken as a back rower, Periara to be a starting winger, Lawrie to be on the bench every week.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Do you condone cheating?
BTW I do not condone unfairness to our players. Just imagine if your son or daughter did something wrong on the sporting field and got a one match suspension, would you then go and suspend your child for the rest of the season, just to make an example of him and show that your family doesn't condone foul play or cheating? I doubt it. Or if Smith or Warner or Bancroft were your son, how do you think that you would have felt when they received their excessive bans from the ACB, after the ICC had already handed down their penalty?

I am all about being fair and that wasn't fair. The Australian media and public have a lot to answer to in my opinion. The way the Australian media and segments of the Australian public carried on about it was more of a disgrace and shame to me than the actual ball tampering itself. But I must see things different to others, or maybe it is because I am an independent thinker, who doesn't let the media dictate my opinions.

I actually asked many people what their opinion of the matter was when it happened. Most parroted what the media said. Then I asked them what the penalty should have been and they often said "oh about 1 year". I then asked them if they knew what the harshest penalty for ball tampering was in the past. When I told them that it was one test match, then they even started to re evaluate their stance on the matter. Just imagine if the Australian media had gone along the the narrative that it is an open secret in international cricket and that the harshest penalty in history had been one game and that the ICC had already set the standard and that our players should not be treated any more harshly than others in the past from other countries. I guarantee you that the Australian public would have gone along with that narrative. If the media would have been scathing of the ACB's bans, then the Australian pubic would have gone along with the media's narrative. I will tell you this, the mainstream media can dictate public opinion in so many ways and they have been doing so for centuries.

Any way, I will be watching Australia play sometime next year.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Hmmm, like Pakistan, India, England, South Africa......I guess we just take it more seriously than those cheats
All found guilty.
Got 1 match bans....lol

That’s a reflection of those countries cricket boards.

As Australians, we should strive to be better.

ouryears

Bench
That’s a reflection of those countries cricket boards.

As Australians, we should strive to be better.
I agree Jimmy.
But 1 week vs 1 yr is a wide bow.

And ACB need to get on from foot and drive strong penalties world wide

As well, get caught tampering the ball..... and you are off for the rest of the match. Play one short.

Staying on the field after being caught is ridiculous.