What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Official 2010 "Channel 9 Commentary Team Are geniuss" thread

Well it didn't take long for these over the hill morons to get back into making idiots of themselves and annoying viewers across the country.

Scenario: It's a tight game, 10mins to go, Saints lead Parra by 4. If the Dragons don't score again and The Eels get a converted try they'll win. Micheal Weymen is tackled by two Eels defenders 10m from the tryline right in front of the posts. One of the tacklers, Fui Fui, strips the ball. Referee does the only thing he can, gives a penalty to Saints for a two man strip.

Pretty straight forward right? Well, not if you've been a channel 9 Rugby League commentator for 20 years.

Stirling initially starts saying the referee got it wrong, but pauses half way through the replay as the obviousness of the offensive becomes clear. He then moves onto claim that Fui Fui didn't know there was a second man the the tackle and implies that because of that the penalty shouldn't have been given. How does he know Fui Fui didn't know there was a second man in the tackle and even if he didn't, what difference would it make?

Gould then goes on a rant about how unjust the rule is and how the referee enforcing it has ruined the tight contest.

Well not really Phil, the stripping rule isn't a complicated or controversial one and the referees job isn't too selectively enforce rules according to the situation off the game, you mug.

Consider this an official thread to catalouge the 2010 idiocy of these annoying, stale, and over the hill commentators.

RufusRex

Post Whore
the ref did get it wrong ... if he allows the play to continue Nightingale scores and the ref/dragons/commentary team all look the better for it.

The Tank

Bench
Scenario: It's a tight game, 10mins to go, Saints lead Parra by 4. If the Dragons don't score again and The Eels get a converted try they'll win. Micheal Weymen is tackled by two Eels defenders 10m from the tryline right in front of the posts. One of the tacklers, Fui Fui, strips the ball. Referee does the only thing he can, gives a penalty to Saints for a two man strip.

Pretty straight forward right? Well, not if you've been a channel 9 Rugby League commentator for 20 years.

Stirling initially starts saying the referee got it wrong, but pauses half way through the replay as the obviousness of the offensive becomes clear. He then moves onto claim that Fui Fui didn't know there was a second man the the tackle and implies that because of that the penalty shouldn't have been given. How does he know Fui Fui didn't know there was a second man in the tackle and even if he didn't, what difference would it make?

Gould then goes on a rant about how unjust the rule is and how the referee enforcing it has ruined the tight contest.

Have to agree but Gould says sh*t like this all the time. Remember Tahu's "close enough is good enough" effort against Melbourne in the 07' playoff game.

Lambretta

First Grade
I agreed with Gould and Rabs.

The "strip" was so minimal. The Dragons player either milked the penalty for all it was worth or just lost control and got the call in his favour. (my guess is the second as I dont think he deliberately dropped it)

The fact a Parra players arm came in contact with the ball doesnt make it a strip. It was poor ball security by the Dragons man. But the way the game is refereed many of them get called strips.

Saints got lucky. But that's footy. Another week a Parra player will be the recipient of an equally lucky call.

Quigs

Immortal
Modern Game with more modern day new rules - sh!ts me. It's a cancer on the game and will cost big time one day when a player just lets the ball go in a group tackle.

Wasn't real impressed with Weyman's actions after the penalty was awarded too.

Cheers
Quigs

Quigs

Immortal
The commentary was pretty good for the Broncs game....i like Vossy...

Yeah 20 minutes into the game and Fatty is already calling State of Origin selections.

By the time State of O comes around Fatty will have approx 210 players for spots. And thats only Queensland

Cheers
Quigs

bobmar28

Bench
Stale and over the hill. By the way Rabs, 'field' is an english word. And fix that meters gained display on the scoreboard in the corner of the screen.

I also like Vossey.

Gaba

First Grade
I agreed with Gould and Rabs.

The "strip" was so minimal. The Dragons player either milked the penalty for all it was worth or just lost control and got the call in his favour. (my guess is the second as I dont think he deliberately dropped it)

The fact a Parra players arm came in contact with the ball doesnt make it a strip. It was poor ball security by the Dragons man. But the way the game is refereed many of them get called strips.

Saints got lucky. But that's footy. Another week a Parra player will be the recipient of an equally lucky call.
even if it wasnt a strip, it was a dragons scrum feed if the eels got the ball, because the eels player pulled the ball out towards the dragons tryline
so it was a knock on from the eels player

Last edited:

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
Yeah, and if it was ruled a knock-on by Parra, we should have gotten advantage on the play, as we had a 3 man overlap to the right hand side and were certain to score a try to guarantee the win before the referee pulled it up for a penalty ... you win some, you lose some.

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
What about when Jarryd Hayne tried to pull off that ridiculously stupid pass in his in-goal to Eric Grothe, which almost cost Parra a try and definitely DID cost them 40 metres in territory?

Sterling creamed his pants talking about how Hayne has sublime vision and knew exactly where his player was etc etc ....

How about calling a spade a spade and saying how f*cking stupid it was to try that pass, when he could have missed the mark by 20cm and there were 3 Dragons players right there ready to catch it and score the easiest try of their lives :lol:

innsaneink

Referee
It is a bodgy rule, they are right when they say the onus should be more on the ball carrier securing possesion....soft penalty and to cost 2 game points reminds me of sh*tty scrum penalties.

On the commentators, Freddy sounds like he has a mouthful of marbles when he speaks...stop fkn mumbling

Gaba

First Grade
it didnt cost the eels the game, it cost the dragons another set of 6 if it wasnt a strip, it was a knock on by the eels

innsaneink

Referee
What about when Jarryd Hayne tried to pull off that ridiculously stupid pass in his in-goal to Eric Grothe, which almost cost Parra a try and definitely DID cost them 40 metres in territory?

Sterling creamed his pants talking about how Hayne has sublime vision and knew exactly where his player was etc etc ....

How about calling a spade a spade and saying how f*cking stupid it was to try that pass, when he could have missed the mark by 20cm and there were 3 Dragons players right there ready to catch it and score the easiest try of their lives :lol:

''almost, could have, if, maybe...''

....they were behind on the clock and the scoreboard.

Coaster

Bench
I have to agree with the first post, the way Gould talks about the rulings gives the casual viewer a sense that the code has something wrong with it.

His job is to call the game and give expert insight, not push his own agenda for rules changes. If he believes that something is wrong with a rule, then there are avenues for him to state his frustration, but using a live telecast of the First game of the year, is not the time or place.

Latest posts