What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The ongoing saga of Benji Marshall

AuckMel

Bench
Someone's giving this kid some bad advice.

http://www.nrl.com/news.cfm?ID=12784

Marshall gives NZ Tri-Nations hope

13 September 2005

Wests Tigers whiz kid Benji Marshall could postpone off-season surgery to partner Stacey Jones at the New Zealand scrumbase for the Tri-Nations rugby league series.

Marshall, who had previously ruled himself out of the series to undergo surgery on a troublesome right shoulder, on Tuesday said he was yet to decide whether he'll participate in the games against Australia and Great Britain.

"At the moment I'm not worried about (the Tri-Nations), I'm just worried about this week," Marshall said at the Tigers' training session.

"That's in the future, but we'll see what happens later on.

"I haven't made my mind up."

Marshall said he had not been inconvenienced by the injury in recent weeks and had "100 per cent" confidence it would hold up to the rigours of semi-final football.

"It's not that bad," he said.

"It's feeling alright and I feel 100 per cent confident in my defence and the strength of my shoulder at the moment. I'm pretty happy with the way I'm doing."

The prospect of fielding a halves pairing of Marshall and Jones - who came out of international retirement to rejoin the New Zealand squad - was welcomed across the Tasman.

"That's fantastic," said new Kiwis coach Brian McLennan.

"That's Benji's choice, anyone who plays for the Kiwis, it's their choice too.

"For Benji, all us Kiwis back home are just rooting for him and his Tigers mates.

"He's got plenty on his mind, the last thing I'll be doing is trying to get a hold of him now while he's in the semi-finals.

"That's choice, mate."

McLennan's sentiments were echoed by New Zealand Rugby League (NZRL) boss Selwyn Pearson.

"That's wonderful news, if that's the case you've made an old man very happy," he said.

"It would be nice if he could do the southern leg of the Tri-Nations tour and then go under the knife."

However, Pearson was less enthused about the process used to rule NRL players out of the New Zealand side to undergo off-season surgery.

This is despite a decision by NRL chief executives to provide written medical reports and relevant information to the NZRL if a player is unable to take part in a Test or tour.

The move was a response to claims by New Zealand officials that clubs had exaggerated injuries in an attempt to protect key personnel.

"We never disagree over the prognosis, we never disagree over the treatment required, it's always the rehab time that comes into conflict," Pearson said

The longer it is the less chance they have to tour and still have their operation and recover."

McLennan, who has already begun training the New Zealand-based players in preparation for the Tests, said he was particularly impressed by Warriors giant Manu Vatuvei, whom he dubbed the next Jonah Lomu.

"Standing next to Manu Vatuvei and seeing the athleticism of him, he's going to be a superstar, this one," he said.

"For the size of him and how fast he is, he has real potential.

"I liken him to Jonah Lomu and he is, he's just so big and fast.

"TP (Tony Puletua) is a big man, well Manu is as big as TP but he can really fly, he's fast enough to be a fast winger or centre.

"He just needs to learn the ropes of the game."

McLennan said he was disappointed by forward Sione Faumuina's decision to rule himself out of the Tri-Nations to instead play with Super League club Hull.

"That's Sione's choice, but personally I think one day he will really regret that," McLennan said.

Southern Warrio

Juniors
AuckMel said:
Someone's giving this kid some bad advice.

http://www.nrl.com/news.cfm?ID=12784

Marshall gives NZ Tri-Nations hope

13 September 2005

Wests Tigers whiz kid Benji Marshall could postpone off-season surgery to partner Stacey Jones at the New Zealand scrumbase for the Tri-Nations rugby league series.

Marshall, who had previously ruled himself out of the series to undergo surgery on a troublesome right shoulder, on Tuesday said he was yet to decide whether he'll participate in the games against Australia and Great Britain.

"At the moment I'm not worried about (the Tri-Nations), I'm just worried about this week," Marshall said at the Tigers' training session.

"That's in the future, but we'll see what happens later on.

"I haven't made my mind up."

Marshall said he had not been inconvenienced by the injury in recent weeks and had "100 per cent" confidence it would hold up to the rigours of semi-final football.

"It's not that bad," he said.

"It's feeling alright and I feel 100 per cent confident in my defence and the strength of my shoulder at the moment. I'm pretty happy with the way I'm doing."

The prospect of fielding a halves pairing of Marshall and Jones - who came out of international retirement to rejoin the New Zealand squad - was welcomed across the Tasman.

"That's fantastic," said new Kiwis coach Brian McLennan.

"That's Benji's choice, anyone who plays for the Kiwis, it's their choice too.

"For Benji, all us Kiwis back home are just rooting for him and his Tigers mates.

"He's got plenty on his mind, the last thing I'll be doing is trying to get a hold of him now while he's in the semi-finals.

"That's choice, mate."

McLennan's sentiments were echoed by New Zealand Rugby League (NZRL) boss Selwyn Pearson.

"That's wonderful news, if that's the case you've made an old man very happy," he said.

"It would be nice if he could do the southern leg of the Tri-Nations tour and then go under the knife."

However, Pearson was less enthused about the process used to rule NRL players out of the New Zealand side to undergo off-season surgery.

This is despite a decision by NRL chief executives to provide written medical reports and relevant information to the NZRL if a player is unable to take part in a Test or tour.

The move was a response to claims by New Zealand officials that clubs had exaggerated injuries in an attempt to protect key personnel.

"We never disagree over the prognosis, we never disagree over the treatment required, it's always the rehab time that comes into conflict," Pearson said

The longer it is the less chance they have to tour and still have their operation and recover."

McLennan, who has already begun training the New Zealand-based players in preparation for the Tests, said he was particularly impressed by Warriors giant Manu Vatuvei, whom he dubbed the next Jonah Lomu.

"Standing next to Manu Vatuvei and seeing the athleticism of him, he's going to be a superstar, this one," he said.

"For the size of him and how fast he is, he has real potential.

"I liken him to Jonah Lomu and he is, he's just so big and fast.

"TP (Tony Puletua) is a big man, well Manu is as big as TP but he can really fly, he's fast enough to be a fast winger or centre.

"He just needs to learn the ropes of the game."

McLennan said he was disappointed by forward Sione Faumuina's decision to rule himself out of the Tri-Nations to instead play with Super League club Hull.

"That's Sione's choice, but personally I think one day he will really regret that," McLennan said.

That seems like a threat from Mr McLennan, Will Sione ever wear a black jersey again?

Hopefully Benji plays, but tomorrow he will be out in the media saying he is no chance.

screeny

Bench
The only time I've seen Sione play he's been crap so I'm personally not too fussed about him not being picked (I'm not sure if this is the process the NZRL uses to pick players).

As for Marshall, agree with AuckMel, some sleazy Aussie Cassandra at Wests is no doubt whispering portents of doom into the young man's ear, scaring him into pulling out.

It doesn't take a genius to work out that a career threatening injury would prevent him from playing another match this season. As he can play in the finals then he can play another two games v Australia.

Play, Benji, play.....

Hopefully he does whats best for his career and has surgery.

Kiwi's jerseys are easy to get. As long as he is standing up right he will be the NZ 5/8th. He had no competition for the spot.

Miss a couple of thrashing now, have the surgery and have a long Test career later.

Scott

Bench
LF is right. He needs the surgery, he should have the surgery. As a Kiwi, it dissapionts me he won't be playing but he will be around for a very very long time. Lets get him healthy.

screeny

Bench
Scott said:
LF is right. He needs the surgery, he should have the surgery. As a Kiwi, it dissapionts me he won't be playing but he will be around for a very very long time. Lets get him healthy.

If his injury is so acute that it needs surgery to save his career he wouldn't be playing for Wests anymore this season.

AuckMel

Bench
nospam49™ said:
Hopefully he does whats best for his career and has surgery.

Kiwi's jerseys are easy to get. As long as he is standing up right he will be the NZ 5/8th. He had no competition for the spot.

Miss a couple of thrashing now, have the surgery and have a long Test career later.

2.5/10

Misanthrope

Staff member
screeny makes a valid point. Wests pay the bills, yeah, but it's obviously not particularly career threatening if he's fit enough to be running around in the finals. He's more likely to sustain an injury in a competitive finals game than he is in a one sided tri-series clash.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Scott said:

This reasoning is really bizarre. This decision quite clearly sets a precedent that international rugby league is still 2nd class and unimportant, yet you make reference to the importance of his future international career. What does his future international career (or anyone's future international career) matter if we are going to keep on allowing things like this to happen which totally undermine international league?

screeny

Bench
If someone can provide a logical explanantion as to why an injury goes from not interfering with a player's match fit status to career threatening during a predetermined two match/one week time period, then I'd be right behind Benji's decision.

You can't start talking about career threatening when you're about to lace up your boots for a match. By not playing Benji will be following a precedent that has sadly been set long ago, that int'l footy is not serious.

International League IS second class.

Why cant people accept that? Its been that way for YEARS now.

Untill the ARL, RFL and NZRL are paying the wages....its going to stay that way.

Scott

Bench
Thierry Henry said:
This reasoning is really bizarre. This decision quite clearly sets a precedent that international rugby league is still 2nd class and unimportant, yet you make reference to the importance of his future international career. What does his future international career (or anyone's future international career) matter if we are going to keep on allowing things like this to happen which totally undermine international league?

I want the kiwis to win and be at their best as much as the next person. But Benji Marshall and Sonny-Bill Williams are vital to the future success of the Kiwis. Lets get them both right at the end of the NRL season, so they can be 100% heading into 2006.

As for international league, it is just a fact of life that NRL and Superleague take preference. The clubs pay the wages of the players.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Scott said:
I want the kiwis to win and be at their best as much as the next person. But Benji Marshall and Sonny-Bill Williams are vital to the future success of the Kiwis. Lets get them both right at the end of the NRL season, so they can be 100% heading into 2006.

As for international league, it is just a fact of life that NRL and Superleague take preference. The clubs pay the wages of the players.

I don't really know what to make of this as you just repeated all of the self-defeating points I pointed out last time.

If people cared about international rugby league they would do something about it now (or at least at some point) rather than putting it off for some imagined, never going to arrive "future".

LF I realise international rugby league is second class. The fact that this unfortunate state of affairs exists is something we should be trying to change, not trying to ingrain, and in your case, seemingly gloat about.

Scott

Bench
Ok, what should be one to make International RL more important than NRL and Superleague??

Thierry Henry said:
When NZ C get thrashed in the Tri-Nations are you going to yet again use it as proof of NZ's ineptitude?

In what area?

Playing strength and development....no.

Management....yes.

No one can look at the way the NZRL has acted over the last five years and say that they have dont anything to strengthen their position as a Test side you want to play for.

The ARL have done a LITTLE bit to make it attractive to play for Australia....the RFL havent done anything by the Poms have Passion to beat Australia and that gets them through.

The NZRL meanwhile have done nothing but whinge. They've had farcicle situations involving the selection of coaches, they'd taken selfish moves by players like a b*tch.....

At the end of the day the reason the NZRL is in this position is because they have lost everyones restepct. The ARL and RFL disregard them when it comes to making decisions and the players brush them for money, surgery or....like Jones....they just dont want to play any more.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Do you blame the NZRL for their inability to have UK players made available, and their inability to have players who require surgery get said surgery delayed? If yes, then what do you expect them to do?

ozboy

Juniors
Thierry Henry said:
Do you blame the NZRL for their inability to have UK players made available, and their inability to have players who require surgery get said surgery delayed? If yes, then what do you expect them to do?

I thought that was also the fault of the NRL and it's clubs.

Auckland4ever

Juniors
The performance of the governing bodies & the dysfunctional relationships they have with each other, players deciding not to play for their country, the reluctance of clubs to release players, etc etc, its the same old, same old, year after year. I'm past blaming anyone for the second class nature of international rugby league.

The only way all of this sh*t can be remedied is by giving the media moguls who own the game what they want, an exciting product that rates well. I'm just thankful we finally have some regularity in the international calendar and a competition with some meaning in the Tri-Nations. Despite the decimation of the NZ team & the sheer dominance of the Kangaroos, I'm not about to give up hope of the Tri-Nations eventually striking a chord with sports fans in NZ, Aus & most importantly GB. As soon as its seen as a juicy enough carrot by the likes of News Corp, I doubt we'll see the same kind of availability issues with players that we're seeing now.
Heres hoping the Tri-Nations is given ample time to reach its potential.

Latest posts