What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Oracles' "Season Wrap"

ChipNChase

Juniors
Eight rounds behind us, and we have what is shaping as another down-to-the-wire finish. With the Cowboys recent compounding over the last 2 weeks, we are left without a standout for the title.

The following is my impressions on the achievements of each team to date, and how I think the forthcoming weeks will see them fare;

Parramatta: Up 16-0 against the Eagles and then folded like a French pastry. No stamina or endurance has this once great team looking like the footy equivalent or an impotent Ugly Dave Gray. Don't think they will quite make the eight.
Canberra: If not for the yards from dumby half of Woolford and the try-scoring/goal kicking of Schifcoske, they would never beat an egg. Credible performance against the Broncos, but losing from 18-0 up at half time is disgraceful. Outside eight, and languishing next year even more noticably.
Cowboys: The class team of first 6 rounds, they have suffered in the last 2. Point scoring prowess right across the park, they are almost a cert for Top 4 if they can shrug off weak offerings lately and get back to the razzle dazzle footy we all love.
Panthers: Have proven their title to be a one-off. Showing nothing of what they once were with Wesser ageing and Robert gone. Gower needs some serious re-coaching. Married life must be affecting him...Outside top 10.
Rabbitohs: Oh-so-close against the Knights, but once again came up bridesmaids. Look for improvement over next few years - The same old by-line I know, but Rusty will improve the scene 6-fold.
Storm: Greg Inglis making Storm look great in recent weeks. Like other years, have started brilliantly, but need to retain this form to build a solid play-off foundation for finals footy. Top 8 certs.
Newcastle: After scraping home against Souths, only a mad punter would take them for the title. The biggest one man side in the history of the game, if Johns stays fit (yeah right), they should make the eight but fizzle out fairly quick.
Broncos: Classic Broncos footy has seen them do all they have to and not a lot more. Grind out their wins, nothing like the flashy footy of yesteryear but getting the job done more often than not. Lockyer is a true champion, reads the play like Nostradamus. Top 4 prospects, top 8 definites.
Roosters: Gus Goulds criticism has done the job and Roosters are on a trot. Finch done no favours telling the fans to kiss his a$$, but God knows Gus Gould should be used to that. Hard to see any team coached by Ricky not maing finals, tipping them to make the 8 if they keep the ball away from Anasta.
Bulldogs: Looking limp now playing under salary cap. Good win against Warriors in NZ over the weekend though. Goal-kicking of El Masri should see them into the 8 though, and once there are always a big danger team.
Sharks: Another team coming good. Injured list getting shorter and results coming on the board. Outside 8 chance.
Dragons: Serial underperformers. No more to say. Should make eight, but if history is any useful precursor, will inevitably start flapping around like a fish out of water very soon after.
Tigers: A team demonstrating how reliant they are on key personnel - Not to same extent as Newcastle, but on a second tier behind them. I am tipping run of injuries to continue, and think they will miss 8 as a result.
Sea Eagles: Some tough victories by the Northern boys have left me very impressed. Have the backs and right balance of forwards to give this years comp an almighty shake. Top 4, and potential grand finalists.

Welcome everyones opinions...

Jobdog

Live Update Team
ChipNChase said:
Newcastle: After scraping home against Souths, only a mad punter would take them for the title. The biggest one man side in the history of the game, if Johns stays fit (yeah right), they should make the eight but fizzle out fairly quick.
Fizzle out fairly quick in the semi's??? Obviously you didn't see our performances against the Bulldogs,Dragons and even though we lost, Cowboys. If we play like those games in the semi's, it will take a very good side to beat us. Sure, we were pretty ordinary yesterday, but its a sign of a good team to play bad but still win ;-)

Raider Azz

Bench
Jobdog said:
Fizzle out fairly quick in the semi's??? Obviously you didn't see our performances against the Bulldogs,Dragons and even though we lost, Cowboys. If we play like those games in the semi's, it will take a very good side to beat us. Sure, we were pretty ordinary yesterday, but its a sign of a good team to play bad but still win ;-)
notice he said "without johns", which, if he doesn't play, you will fizzle out.

Stonecutter

First Grade
ChipNChase said:
Eight rounds behind us, and we have what is shaping as another down-to-the-wire finish. With the Cowboys recent compounding over the last 2 weeks, we are left without a standout for the title.

The following is my impressions on the achievements of each team to date, and how I think the forthcoming weeks will see them fare;
Sharks: Another team coming good. Injured list getting shorter and results coming on the board. Outside 8 chance.
Welcome everyones opinions...[/quote]

sholud make the 8 as long as Dykes stays at half back!

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Raider Azz said:
notice he said "without johns", which, if he doesn't play, you will fizzle out.
He said "if Johns stays fit they should make the eight, but fizzle out fairly quick." No mention of if Johns stays fit, they're a chance for the title ;-)

ChipNChase

Juniors
The Knights are interesting. Its like if Johns has a bad game, or is injured during the game, or absent all-together, they just don't win. 3 out of 10 without him, and that is higher than I would have estimated.
You can't be in that position in Finals footy and still come out on top. Having Johns missing doesn't only reduce the confidence of the Knights, it increases that of their opponents, almost as though they know they are then expected to win.
Make no mistake, he is a great. He's getting old though, and the injuries are supporting that. He is almost as prone as Sonny Bill and thats saying something. What is it about the big contracts that cripple the stars? Give me a Darren Lockyer, Beaver Menzies, Nathan Hindmarsh, Michael Hodgson or Steve Price any day. They may not all set the World on fire all the time, but you know you can rely on them almost without exception to front up and put it 110%.
Braith Anasta, Tim Smith, Sonny Bill, Brett Kimmorley are all useful examples of how not to spend your money. Maybe I am being harsh on Tim Smith cos he botched two field goal attempts and cost me the tipping round, but hey, thats democracy for ya.

DJ1

Juniors
After 8 rounds I've seen nothing to change my pre-season evaluation which included eliminating the two favourites Dragons and Eels,

9 NRL Teams gone for 2006 already

Dragons - Should have won last year and every other year we hear the same story. Have about 1000 origin players in the line up. Will start favourites for the premiership. St George cannot win because Nathan Brown cannot coach finals football. He is still one of the boys despite the odd slap here and there. There will also be a growing disharmony within the ranks due to who's staying, who's leaving and who is or isn't taking paycuts to keep the Jubilee Idols. They are so good at choking you would think that Brian Smith had once coached the club.

Parramatta - Probably have the 2nd best roster in the NRL. Have shown they have the ability to destroy any side on their day. Parramatta cannot win this year because of the Brian Smith issue. The situation will progressively get worse throughout the season with Smith exiting before the finals get here. The Choking culture is still alive and well.

Panthers - still have a great roster and have a large group of players at the club that were victorious in 2003. Unfortunately, the Gower incident will not create a happy home environment and then the backstabbing of Lang will divert focus from where it needs to be.

Sharks - Perhaps its a bit of the case of "it has to happen one day". They are well overdue for one. Just like if a poker player plays enough hands, he will eventually get that Royal flush. Whilst this viewpoint may encourage Sharks fans, anyone with an understanding of poker or probalility theory will clearly see that a royal flush only occurs once every 649,740 attempts and the Sharks have only had 39. Long way to go. They simply don't have a winning culture. They could've had one but didn't have the stomach to let Anderson finish the job.

Raiders - Elliots mind will be on warmer climates. Too much development work to do.

Newcastle - Cannot win this year due to Joey either being injured, holding back from giving 100% cause he doesn't want to get injured, Joey's mind on his future Footy show career, Hagan wanting out or the squad wanting to impress their 2007 coach with a solid example of choking.

Warriors - What a controversy it would be if they were to get up this year. The loss of 4 points may see the warriors adapt 'the throw the ball around and see what happens' approach. Seige mentality can pull a team together, but the Villasanti refusal to do a deal proves they haven't got what it takes this year. Certain teams can thrive and excel on the field whilst the club is in the midst of dramatic adversity. This is not one of them.

Souths - No. They needed Harrison and either/both Anasta or Orford minimum.

Tigers - Have a stronger side this year than what they had to win the title last year. Unfortunately for them, every team lifts to play the "premiers". No "Underneath the radar" anthem this year.

The 6 teams who I left as a chance for the title are currently in these positions on the ladder,

1 - Cowboys
2 - Storm
3 - Broncos
5 - Sea Eagles
6 - Bulldogs
7 - Roosters

Still early days.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Roosters???? :lol: They were ok on Saturday night but the Cowboys were terrible.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
dude, u were a bit harsh on parra, no stamina??? we had to defend 4-5 consecutive sets of six on our line, twice. and manly had 10% more possesion than parra, to lose by only one point highlights the endurance and stamina of parra.

Balmain_Boy

DJ1 said:
After 8 rounds I've seen nothing to change my pre-season evaluation which included eliminating the two favourites Dragons and Eels,

The 6 teams who I left as a chance for the title are currently in these positions on the ladder,

1 - Cowboys
2 - Storm
3 - Broncos
5 - Sea Eagles
6 - Bulldogs
7 - Roosters

Still early days.

Sincere question, where did the 1-7 teams after round 8 finish at the end of the season?

I believe we were 3-5 with a bye after 9 rounds last year. It only takes a couple of 4 game winning streaks toward the back end of the season and you are in a very good position to mount a title winning charge in the finals. As you've said yourself, it's early days yet.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Jobdog said:
Roosters???? :lol: They were ok on Saturday night but the Cowboys were terrible.

With about half the team out due to injury and backing up 4 days after Anzac Day it wasn't too bad an effort..

ChipNChase said:
Canberra: If not for the yards from dumby half of Woolford and the try-scoring/goal kicking of Schifcoske, they would never beat an egg. Credible performance against the Broncos, but losing from 18-0 up at half time is disgraceful. Outside eight, and languishing next year even more noticably.

have you watched a raiders game this season? Clinton Shifofske has scored 1 try all season. You obviously know nothing about the strength of our Juniors and our new coach. 2007 was always going to be a better year for us than this year.

DJ1

Juniors
Balmain_Boy said:
Sincere question, where did the 1-7 teams after round 8 finish at the end of the season?

The teams in the top 8 after round 8 in 2005 included,

Brisbane 12, North QLD 12, Cronulla 12, Manly 12, Canberra 12, Parramatta 8, Wests 8, Melbourne 8

The teams finished the regular season as

Parramatta 32, St George-Illawarra 36, Brisbane 34, Wests 32, North QLD 32, Melbourne 30, Cronulla 28, Manly 28

7 of the top 8 after round 8 remained at the end of round 26. The only significant move from round 8 the 26 was St George moving into the top 8 and Canberra moving out.

ChipNChase

Juniors
Innsaneink - What better precursor for the future than how the teams are playing now? What more relevant info to base a forecast on but how they are travelling at the moment - You are only as good as your last game.
Waltzing Meninga - 2007, 2008...Whats wrong with this year? Canberra probably said the same last year and the year before (like Souths, Manly...)
Its great that we are seeing more open comps now, but please.

ChipNChase said:
Innsaneink - What better precursor for the future than how the teams are playing now? What more relevant info to base a forecast on but how they are travelling at the moment - You are only as good as your last game.
Waltzing Meninga - 2007, 2008...Whats wrong with this year? Canberra probably said the same last year and the year before (like Souths, Manly...)
Its great that we are seeing more open comps now, but please.

This year we have a sh*thouse coach who is leaving us at the end of the year, who plays a hooker at half back, and implements a negative game plan and mentality. We will have big money come June 30 to buy some decent players with the retiring/ depatures of Smith, Woolford and Croker. We will have a coach who will play a talented half in his position in Carney, and hopefully a forward pack of Weyman, Thurling, Withers, TLL, Tilse and Tongue.

junior009

Juniors
innsaneink said:
The guy on 2sm has half a clue.....this idiot here has none.

Weekend wrap?

Maybe.

Season wrap.....pffft.

Not true...the guy on 2SM has little or no clue and does little more than suck up Greame Hughes' ass.

legend

Coach
I want Miller in the starting side and Weyman on the bench. The rest is pretty good though.