What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Orange Strap Of Security

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
This has had me amused all weekend.

On Saturday mrs unit and myself had to fly to Canberra to go to my sisters wedding with a previously referred to merkin.

Anywho, as we're on the plane awaiting to take off, the air hostess clips an orange strap over the window on the door of the plane.

Its not holding anything against the door, its not even tight, what is its purpose?

I asked the hostess if thats something installed in the planes to help against terrorists hijacking planes.

She just laughed and kept walking.

She didn't answer the f**king question either!

So I assumed maybe it was a one off.

However, on the return flight, it was there again, on a different plane (We flew down on Virgin Blue and flew back on Qantas)

I asked the Hostess on this plane what the purpose of the orange strap was and she said "It's a safety mechanism"

And she left it at that!

How can a loosely innocuosly placed orange strap, clipped over a window, improve safety?

Maybe we should have them installed in all our homes to prevent our homes being burgled...

Pistol

Coach
only guess is that its possibly to see if anyone tampers with the door

other than that.... i have no idea

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
If the door flies open, a strap across the door has a lot more chance of holding someone in the plane than thin air does ;-)

Dani

Immortal
If it's only over the window maybe it's so someone on the outside doesn't try open the door....?

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
its only about 20cm long, it goes diagonally across the small window in the door.

McLovin

Staff member
Yep i'm sure the bright orange stap across the window is to warn people on the outside

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
I asked on another site because its something i've wondered about.

One suggestion from someone with far more knowledge than i:

My guess is, luminous orange strap = easier to see in case of emergency.

Nuke

Staff member
Anyone here used to watch 'The X-Files'? Those that did will no doubt remember that Agent Mulder used to make an X on his window using masking tape, then shine a desk lamp on it.

Perhaps there's some airline conspiracy going on ...?

Or, as MC84 said, maybe it's to keep the rabbits out.
(sorry to borrow your line, but it was funny!)

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
wouldn't you think that a plane plummeting to the earth is a bit more obvious than an orange strap?

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
madunit said:
wouldn't you think that a plane plummeting to the earth is a bit more obvious than an orange strap?

Its possible, but this comes from the industry that has seat cushions that double as floatation devices while they hide the lifejackets somewhere under the seats.

Maggie

Juniors
The door (like the rest of the plane) is pressurised during the flight there is absolutely no way the door can be opened during the flight and it can only be opened from the inside of the plane. The orange strap is there to show the crew that the door has been locked before take off.

[furrycat]

Coach
I trust CG because she hasnt posted in a while and because she is good looking.
The rest of you are ugly (except for Dani)