What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The 'Peter O'Sullivan' Effect

Iron Lion

Juniors
We know what this guy has achieved and done for the Storm and the Roosters.

Two questions for you.

Question 1: When do you expect his impact to benefit the Warriors?

Question 2: Could Stephen Kearney's coaching negatively impact Peter O'Sullivan's ability to have his players blooded in and getting game time?

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
O'Sullivan's claim to fame is more about identifying talent early and developing it so I wouldn't expect to see too much too quickly and even then it depends on our ability to....develop them.

Kearney could stifle a charging bull on its way to a china shop. Wouldn't put it passed him to vanilla any flavour that O'Sullivan comes up with.

Reactions: JJ

Rich102

Staff member
Sadly I can't see a talented youngster wanting to come to be coached by Kearney.
The club is starting to get a bad smell about it.

jaseg

Juniors
1) 2-3 years for significant effect, though we could see *something* as early as next year (when Frei, Pompey, Mullany etc have a chance to make the top 30)
2) Absolutely

I'm wondering if it's worth it with the sunk cost in Kearney now to wait on Bellamy coming off contract again - and not f**k it up this time.

Penrose_11

Juniors
Is O’Sullivan in charge of all recruitment or more a talent spotter? I’d like to see us put an offer in for Latrell Mitchell. I’d have him playing here in a heartbeat. He’s still young and his best years once he matures are still a way off yet.

Hopefully we’re lookkng for a top grade Aussie 2nd rower as well. We’ve had a few good ones in the past but the Kiwi boys we keep signing just don’t seem to have the defensive qualities and leadership we need. Mannering is the obvious recent exception.

Last edited:

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
1) 2-3 years for significant effect, though we could see *something* as early as next year (when Frei, Pompey, Mullany etc have a chance to make the top 30)
2) Absolutely

I'm wondering if it's worth it with the sunk cost in Kearney now to wait on Bellamy coming off contract again - and not f**k it up this time.

Absolutely right on #2. All the talent spotting in the world won't mean shit if Kearney a) can't coach it and b) him, Cameron George etc can't shape the right environment and squad around them.

I feel like our next great, or actually even decently good, coach is playing now or just retired. Ala Ivan *footnote, I know Ivan is not the Great anymore but he was with us. I really feel like it's better that we get someone like a Blake Green enticed into coaching and bring him into the system quickly after his playing days, like we did with Ivan.

Yes, throwing the money at Bellamy would have worked if Scurrah wasn't inept, but is he coming after this contract? Less likely, right? Bennett ain't coming. Hasler's not. And I can't think who else that is good/great and would consider it, even for all the real estate in Ponsonby.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
We need to stick with Kearney until someone really good is available. We won’t win comps with him but (fingers crossed) if we get the rest of the systems and roster right we can at least stay mid-table competitive and have the club in decent shape for someone else to take to the next level. I think Kearney is doing good things with off field culture and discipline at least,

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
We need to stick with Kearney until someone really good is available. We won’t win comps with him but (fingers crossed) if we get the rest of the systems and roster right we can at least stay mid-table competitive and have the club in decent shape for someone else to take to the next level. I think Kearney is doing good things with off field culture and discipline at least,

I have to admit I haven't watched a lot this year or been actively involved in following media etc. What good things are being done with off field culture and discipline?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I have to admit I haven't watched a lot this year or been actively involved in following media etc. What good things are being done with off field culture and discipline?

I don’t see a lot of additional progress this year, but last year was a marked improvement on previous years in those departments. There has obviously been a concerted attempt to dismantle the old stupid six/bro culture since SK has been there.