What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Power Band

Meth

Staff member
Sounds a bit hokey to me.

Had to laugh at the revelation that Grothe, Tahu and Kimmorley are using it too. If it is performance enhancing, imagine what their performances may be like without it

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1225849253425

IT'S the $60 bracelet they tell you has the potential to make ordinary men into super human.

So just imagine what it does for superstars such as Wests Tigers pivot Benji Marshall.

The NRL has confirmed it will investigate the use of Power Balance wrist bands after Marshall (left) last week exposed one of world sport's best-kept secrets.

As he lifted his arm in triumph, Marshall revealed he was wearing the Power Band during his man-of-the-match performance against the Sydney Roosters at the SFS.

It is claimed the wonder band can increase an athlete's core strength and power by as much as 500 per cent.

And as The Sunday Telegraph began investigating the mystery band on Marshall's wrist, we discovered he is not the only athlete using it. Parramatta's Timana Tahu and Eric Grothe, St George Illawarra's Matt Cooper and Bulldogs half Brett Kimmorley were also said to be fans of the bracelet.

So are AFL superstars Nick Riewoldt and Brendan Fevola, soccer's Cristiano Ronaldo, Group I jockey Damien Oliver, Wallaby James O'Connor, NBA legend Shaquille O'Neal and world surfing champion Mick Fanning.

And it's almost certain the numbers are higher, with the common practice of NRL players taping their wrists likely to be concealing just how many players are using the so-called wonder band. According to the advertising brochure, "Power Balance holograms are imbedded with frequencies that react positively with your body's natural energy field to improve balance, strength and flexibility".

Highly sceptical, we put a band to the test in our office and were stunned at the results.

Ordinary office workers displayed immediate improvements to their resistance and core strength.

But there's a serious side to the craze sweeping through the NRL ranks, with claims the lightweight bands could be football's version of swimming's super suits.

One leading player agent contacted The Sunday Telegraph to suggest "they should be banned because it was a form of cheating".

"It's a distinct case of one player having an outside advantage over another," the agent said. NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley admitted he was unware of players using the band, but told The Sunday Telegraph that their impact would be investigated. "We've also got rules in the NRL operations manual that says no items of non-standard equipment can be used in the game without prior approval by the NRL," Annesley said.

"It's the first I've heard of it, so we'll obviously need to look at it and determine whether we allow them or not. We'd also take medical advice on it."

The bands are made of rubber and are unlikely to be considered harmful to other players.

However, Annesley added: "Referees and touch judges have the responsibility before a game of checking every player to make sure they're not wearing anything that would be considered dangerous.

"It is something that we will look into."

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
"It's a distinct case of one player having an outside advantage over another," the agent said.

Maybe if the agents didn't bleed their clients dry they'd all be able to afford the ridiculously priced $60 bracelets.

Find it hard to believe that a $60 piece of rubber can have such an effect. Sounds BS to me, but you never know.

Loudstrat

Coach
Where can I order 17 pairs for Parra?

Yes, pairs -one for each wrist. They need as many as they can get.

Perth Red

Post Whore
sounds like a great marketing con to me. The guy from Firepower isn't selling them is he?

Danish

Referee
What odds that the shills that make this nonsense are paying these agents to air their "concerns" about these mystical pieces of rubber?

RABK

Referee
I expect to throw weights around like Brock Lesnar next gym session.

Common scheme that'll make the con artists their quick fire buck. Sign up 50 or so various sportstars on a contract to wear the thing and promote it here or there at an average $25,000 each. Initial outlay of $1,250,000. Sell 500000 of the 80c rubber bands to idiot retailers the world over who'll want in on the 'craze'. Close up warehouse as they pocket a cool $25,000,000 profit.

RABK

Referee
If it is even slightly true regarding performance enhancing than it is clearly a placebo effect.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Im curious about this thing. Won some money on the weekend so I thought I might buy one. Ill let yas know the effects of it. I work bloody hard and have a physical assesment coming up soon.

Canard

Immortal
Stunning that people still fall for this sh*t.

What about the Tele's incredibly scientific study, we passed them around the office and they seemed to work?? (Where's the data and results etc.?)

Also "Who can we ask about these things?", the NRL Referrees Boss? The NRL CEO? A club CEO, a club coach, and a Sports Institute official, ASDA?

No Ill ask the guy whose job it is to get 10% for player contract negoitations, thats a respected voice on all matters Rugby League????

Robbie Farrer said at the press conference that most of the Tigers players were wearing them now. He wasn't sure whether it made any difference but he did say he'd played his best game of the year wearing it.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Another thing id like to ask, how would the NRL stop players from wearing it. They will always find a way. Under tape under the wrists, get bigger ones and put them up high in the arm, high up the leg, around the foot! Good luck policing it.

Ulysseus

Bench
Sounds like the energy polarizer that Brocky tried to fit into Commodores.

f**king lol, I wonder if this thing can also align the molecules in the block?
Poor old Brocky, it wasn't long after he started claiming that fitting the polarizer to an pre ULP car would allow you to run ULP without any hassles that Holden washed their hands of him.

Latest posts