What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The price of anger

Misty Bee

First Grade
Can someone please explain what may looklike an anomaly to me. That is, a punch to the neck/jaw can be worth 7 weeks, in comparison with a forearm with the velocity of a 100+ kg forward to the same area?

Im not having a go at the judiciary, or Fa'alongo or SBW. I'm just not certain that i'd prefer to cop 7 SBW forearms over 1 Fa'alogo punch.

Anomaly?

Again the judiciary looks at the consequence rather than the action.

In saying that though, I think Sonny Bill didn't mean to hit him where he did - I think it was meant for Thurston's shoulder. It was careless, which still warranted being looked at.

Fa'alogo mind you - there was no doubt where he was aiming.

black cat

Juniors
misty get used to it ,the dogs always get favourable treatment.ryan gets off what all other players wouldnt,sbw gets 1wk for what others get 3.it goes back to 2002 when they cheated to buy all the players then the nrl helped them keep all those players the following year.

[furrycat]

Coach
Misty Bee said:
Can someone please explain what may looklike an anomaly to me. That is, a punch to the neck/jaw can be worth 7 weeks, in comparison with a forearm with the velocity of a 100+ kg forward to the same area?

Im not having a go at the judiciary, or Fa'alongo or SBW. I'm just not certain that i'd prefer to cop 7 SBW forearms over 1 Fa'alogo punch.

Anomaly?

LOL

Are you saying both incidents were the same velocity and intent too?

f**k me :lol:

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
[furrycat] said:
Both incidents are different and therefore difficcult to compare, but I think a good hypothetical would be to think about what the two players would have got if the situations were reversed.

Does anyone really believe that Fa'alogo would have received a successful downgrade if he were in Sonny's shoes?

It's the star factor, it can't be denied.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
its finals time Misty,

nothing at the judiciary has to make sense

its more important not to loose one of their main draw cards than to be logical

Misty Bee

First Grade
That is, a punch to the neck/jaw can be worth 7 weeks, in comparison with a forearm with the velocity of a 100+ kg forward to the same area?

You tell me. Can you read?

ThatsNikkisTeam

Juniors
Sonny did not do it on purpose if he did he would of done a lot more damage.
Fa'alogo punched someone in the head you can't really call that a accident.

smeghead

Bench
The biggest difference is obviously the fact that there was no doubting the malice and intent of one party, the other can draw on evidence such as angles, whether the kicker dropped his head after the kick etc. etc.

That is why SBW was easily able to get a downgrade I feel. These factors combined with the fact, as mentioned, that he is a drawcard meant it was highly likely he was getting a reduction.

The Souths player is a complete genius for fighting it also. The judiciary has never taken a light stand on these things and this was never going to be an exception

yobbo84

Coach
Dave got what he got because of intent. I don't agree with the massive difference in weeks between the two though. However, I'll tell you a real inconsistency.

If anyone was at the Souths v Central Coast Flegg match on Saturday they would have witnessed one of the best and biggest all-in-brawls of all time. Deadset punches everywhere. Punches, pushes, king hits, picking up players and throwing them, etc.

One lunatic player came onto the field FROM THE BENCH and started throwing them. He got 2 weeks.

ThatsNikkisTeam

Juniors
yobbo84 said:
Dave got what he got because of intent. I don't agree with the massive difference in weeks between the two though. However, I'll tell you a real inconsistency.

If anyone was at the Souths v Central Coast Flegg match on Saturday they would have witnessed one of the best and biggest all-in-brawls of all time. Deadset punches everywhere. Punches, pushes, king hits, picking up players and throwing them, etc.

One lunatic player came onto the field FROM THE BENCH and started throwing them. He got 2 weeks.

I would say they judge first grade a lot more harsh in cases like this because there are so many people watching on tv. Like the Morrin incident they don't want kids seeing that stuff and then thinking its ok. The week are more to show people its not ok rather then to punish the player (IMO anyway)

melon....

Coach
Even Melon can see Dodgy Shouldercharge's forearm isnt the same as a deliberate punch to teh face. Maybe SBW was starved of Oxygen as well???

LOL@SOUFFS4paying2much2sumdumblawyer!!!!

domdom

Juniors
to be honest, i rate catalogo's punch on anasta as worse than the SBW hit. i'll admit, the SBW hit would have hurt more, but at least it was in the spirit of the game, is was careless and pretty dumb, but its a rough game and he plays it on the borderline.

just punching someone after a tackle is inexcusable, so i dont have a problem with him getting a harsh sentence.

Godz Illa

Coach
Jason Ryles was charged with failing to prevent the Fa'alogo punch. Took the early plea and 2 more weeks.

icewind

Juniors
sonny had his forearm raised. and he himself said it was "reckless". as opposed to "careless". 2-3 weeks minimum should have been, but that would have meant he would be out of a couple of the tests at the end of the year. SBW = drawcard.

Ribs

Bench
Why do you think they charged SBW with striking?

Its was a reckless high shot, probably grade 2.

Charging him with striking meant a downgrade was likely and they knew it because striking indicates a deliberate act, whereas reckless can be accidental but dangerous.

Its a farce and we all know it.

_Johnsy

Referee
Godz Illa said:
Jason Ryles was charged with failing to prevent the Fa'alogo punch. Took the early plea and 2 more weeks.

:lol: :lol: love it godz, spot on as per usual

Latest posts