What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Problem With Gould

chanticleer

Juniors
This isnt an attack on Gould by any means, however from listening to what he has said publicly I would be concerned about the success of penrith in the near future next 2-3 years...

Gould has said many times publicly that he thinks Penrith does well when they have a quality group of juniors developed and come into grade and that will be his focus for the first grade team. He has said he is looking at junior development 14 years plus and looking why penriths large pool of juniors hasnt resulted in many good juniors coming into first grade and being successful. He has said he wishes to address junior coaching and make sure they are given the best chance to develop into first grade players.

Now the problem I have with this is there is no talk about our first grade team and the personnel changes that are needed to make this group stronger and able to challenge for the premiership in 2012 and 2013 not 3 or 4 years down the track.

The problem for a while has been the recruitment of quality first grade players to penrith. Sure the juniors are there but no club can completely rely on quality juniors being developed into top first grade players.

For eg, Newcastle want success. They have gone out and shed big $$$ for a top coach and have already recruited top players Boyd, Snowden, Buderus etc. They arent going to only rely on just their large pool of juniors in the short term.
The Dragons who went from no where in 2008 to a dominant force recruited a top coach and top players to give them a kick start. Boyd, Gasnier, Fien, Weyman, Smith, Costigan...
The point here is recruitment does play a part in being successful. No club can wait till they have a great crop of juniors who push for first grade at around the same time and all develop into handy/top first grade players. This does not happen often it is very rare. It happened to us in 2003 and the Bulldogs in 2004 (SBW, Asotasi, Mason, Price, Maitua, Anasta, Sherwin, Masri, Utai, Tonga, Thurston plus a few good recruits in Omeley and Ryan)

Development takes time, and once a developed junior reaches first grade most still usually take a few years to further develop into good players.

The other problem with focusing and relying on development is once a player is strong in the lower grades they are open to being recruited from other clubs. Anyone that knows about the junior leagues is aware clubs like the Roosters and manly in particular are very good at first identifying good talent and second making a great offer that is difficult to refuse. B stewart, G Stewart, D Williams, T Williams, Cherry Evans, etc etc played their junior football elsewhere. Mitchell Pearce was made an amazing offer when he was 16-17 to go to the Roosters. My point here is even if our junior development is great (its a positive) it is far from a guarantee that we will be successful in first grade.

I honestly dont believe too much is needed to be a premiership force trust me. We have a great fullback Coote, great winger Gordon, great centre Jennings, handy 6 & 7 a good hooker a top prop Civo, great lock - Lewis and some really strong forwards - Mckendry, Waterhouse, Bell, Grant. Add a couple more quality backs and second rowers and we can win a comp.

A few more solid recruits and a good coach we can repeat and do better than 2010. My fear though is that recruitment of decent players is not the plan for 2012 and this junior development focus will mean we will sacrifice on challenging for a premiership for at least the next few years.

This isnt an attack on Gould, if he improves the discipline and culture which it seems he is doing that is great. I just dont think he alone and all his ideas should be taken as gospel and followed blindly. Do not forget he was a coaching director at Souths and was a complete failure at that.

We need a good coach, that will make the biggest difference. We dont need to shell out big $$$ for many stars, just some smart recruiting on a few good players that are on the up.

Last edited:

Fibroman

First Grade
Nothing to do with Gould. Our problem has been Leary and Elliott, who, thank God, have both been given the flick.

Another thing that sh1ts me to no end, is that ridiculous Panthers Interactive site where fans are restricted from voicing their opinions.

I wonder if the spastics that deleted all my critical posts about Leary and Elliott are eating their words now that common sense has finally prevailed?

How the f**k we won Matts, Ball and Flegg in the same era and never kicked on to dominate FG for years to come is beyond me. Jim Jones needs to shoulder some of the blame too for the lack of junior development.

murraymob

Coach
there are no negatives to gould

first point on juniors.If they are offered big dollars like wade graham was you have to let them go simple fact all clubs will lose juniors

the club needed a major shake up.That is now happening
he is one of the few people that could come in and work with the current board of fossils and still have the respect of the players thats a positive

Money is tight so going after major buys will be limited for 18 months.Gould has been upfront about this

goosie

Juniors
look this season is not over yet we still have the likes of plum and jennings to return.
and a new coach mite just do us wonders :) i am tipping a very srong finish and we will be returning for the second year straight for finals footy.
elliott was to soft on the players were as things are changing for the good stevie i have no doubt that he can help turn our season around with a lil help from gus

franklin2323

Immortal
To be fair Gould has identified positions in 1st we lack pretty much the same as most identify. We have a good core team just need a couple of tweaks.

Fibro, I too wonder that. We won all 3 junior titles in 2006. JF in 07 & we have nothing to show. We should be signing up players now for next years juniors.

I am annoyed at the coaching saga dragging on, no recruitment even current players. No one will be left soon

ashton

Juniors
Nothing to do with Gould. Our problem has been Leary and Elliott, who, thank God, have both been given the flick.

Another thing that sh1ts me to no end, is that ridiculous Panthers Interactive site where fans are restricted from voicing their opinions.

I wonder if the spastics that deleted all my critical posts about Leary and Elliott are eating their words now that common sense has finally prevailed?

How the f**k we won Matts, Ball and Flegg in the same era and never kicked on to dominate FG for years to come is beyond me. Jim Jones needs to shoulder some of the blame too for the lack of junior development.

The other problem is Luke Walsh.

Fibroman

First Grade
The other problem is Luke Walsh.

Luke Walsh, Adrian Purtell and nathan Smith are real try hard fringe first graders, that haven't quite got the skills, strength or natural ability to crack in in First Grade. Elliott loves blokes that haven't quite got it, but try hard every week.

Matt Elliott is too nice a bloke to be a FG NRL coach. He should be a player welfare manager.

I want to see my team win another premiership. f**k Elliott and his niceness. f**k these fringe dwellers. I want to watch my team win.

murraymob

Coach
the only problem i see with gould is he yet to experience the full atmosphere of penrith.In order to change the culture he has to experience a ride in the boot of fibros car gimp mask on gaffer tape bound then and only then will he be in a position yo change the culture at the club

chanticleer

Juniors
With the roster changes it will be a weaker roster next year than 2011... Would be happy to be proven wrong but Gould has shown in his time at the roosters and souths he is not a good recruitment manager

With the roster changes it will be a weaker roster next year than 2011... Would be happy to be proven wrong but Gould has shown in his time at the roosters and souths he is not a good recruitment manager

Are you serious?!

Gould pretty much built the roosters team that made 4 GF's in 5 years by himself.

His recruitment at souths wasnt successful , no doubt. But in that case he was building a team from nothing. And lets face it , going to souths wasnt exactly desirable for most players at that point in time.

Patorick

Staff member
Part of me would kinda like the Panthers to win the comp next year, if only so people like Rothfield can write that it wasn't because of Gould, it was because of Cleary and Lewis etc.

Then again, part of me wants Brian Smith to win a comp for the same reason.

chanticleer

Juniors
Are you serious?!

Gould pretty much built the roosters team that made 4 GF's in 5 years by himself.

His recruitment at souths wasnt successful , no doubt. But in that case he was building a team from nothing. And lets face it , going to souths wasnt exactly desirable for most players at that point in time.
Morley was recruited by Graham Murray
Graham Murray promoted Minichiello into first grade and brought over Justin Hodges & Craig Wing...
The teams that made the GFs were built from Murrays time, most of the players from Goulds time apart from Heggarty and Fittler and a couple others were not part of the their golden run from 2002-2004

Gould brought over Chris Walker after his time at Souths when he joined the Roosters straight away and many of their supporters lay a big portion of the blame on Walker for the GF losses

During the time Murray was in charge Gould was not around and Murray took the team to a GF (something Gould failed to do with his strong roster hence Gould's personal vendetta against Murray

Again I have nothing personal against Gus and am not a fan of Rothfield either, but as I mentioned in my initial post it is clear from what Gould has said is not focusing on recruiting strong players needed to build a premiership force

As it stands the roster in 2011 will be stronger than the one in 2012, so I dont see how it is a step forward in terms of First Grade results in the next few years?

The team clearly needs a strong second rower and another prop and this has not been addressed yet

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal

I am pretty annoyed with his performance so far as my other posts in the Burns thread would suggest.

It's way to early to say if it's a fail or not. But yes the roster looks alot weaker

Morley was recruited by Graham Murray
Graham Murray promoted Minichiello into first grade and brought over Justin Hodges & Craig Wing...
The teams that made the GFs were built from Murrays time, most of the players from Goulds time apart from Heggarty and Fittler and a couple others were not part of the their golden run from 2002-2004

The team from 2002-04 included ( at various times)

Fittler
Bonneti
Fletcher
Hegarty
Cusack
Phillips
Ricketson
Cross
Fitzgibbon ( recruited when gould was coach)

All from goulds time as coach.

All of them played in the 2000 & 2002 season at least.

Gould brought over Chris Walker after his time at Souths when he joined the Roosters straight away and many of their supporters lay a big portion of the blame on Walker for the GF losses

During the time Murray was in charge Gould was not around and Murray took the team to a GF (something Gould failed to do with his strong roster hence Gould's personal vendetta against Murray
But hang on, you said Gould wasnt a good recruiter? Yet he had a strong squad?

Goulds Roosters team in 98 + 99 was clearly on the verge of something big. In 98 they came 6th from 20 and in 99 they came 4th from 17.

Its worth remembering aswell , that the recruitment murray did was made much easier by the fact Gould had already built a successful team. Prior to Gould arriving at Bondi the roosters had been a rable for years. Yet gould got them on the right path that directly led to 4 GF appearances.

Last edited:

chanticleer

Juniors
The team from 2002-04 included ( at various times)

Fittler
Bonneti
Fletcher
Hegarty
Cusack
Phillips
Ricketson
Cross
Fitzgibbon ( recruited when gould was coach)

All from goulds time as coach.

All of them played in the 2000 & 2002 season at least.

But hang on, you said Gould wasnt a good recruiter? Yet he had a strong squad?

Goulds Roosters team in 98 + 99 was clearly on the verge of something big. In 98 they came 6th from 20 and in 99 they came 4th from 17.

Its worth remembering aswell , that the recruitment murray did was made much easier by the fact Gould had already built a successful team. Prior to Gould arriving at Bondi the roosters had been a rable for years. Yet gould got them on the right path that directly led to 4 GF appearances.
Exactly the list you gave is case in point, most were solid players (apart from Fittler and Fitzgibbon who was recruited by Arthur Beetson) but the bigger stars that led to 2002-2004 were after Gould era ... anyway Im not going to bother because I am far from interested in the history of the roosters... I just think he is far from a saviour and I wouldnt even be suprised if the NRL results in the next few years arent as good hopefully proven wrong...

Gould at times sounds very logical and knowledgeable on TV but putting it into action and getting great results on field is a completely different thing... For eg Noddy on Fox sounds like the smartest halfback in the world he has not delievered as coach of the Bulldog halves this year

Last edited:
Exactly the list you gave is case in point, most were solid players (apart from Fittler and Fitzgibbon who was recruited by Arthur Beetson) but the bigger stars that led to 2002-2004 were after Gould era ... anyway Im not going to bother because I am far from interested in the history of the roosters... I just think he is far from a saviour and I wouldnt even be suprised if the NRL results in the next few years arent as good hopefully proven wrong...

You're conveniently brushing over the successful season the roosters had in 2000. This was basically Gould's team. And at least 50% of the team from the 2002 GF win was from his era aswell.

Ricketson , Fletcher , Fitzgibbon and Bonnetti were much more than just solid players for that team

he took them from being a rable when he joined in 95' , to coming 6th and then 4th in his last two years.

You're statement was clear , that he was a bad recruiter at the roosters. Fact is you're wrong.

If you cant see he turned the roosters around , you must be blind.

chanticleer

Juniors
You're conveniently brushing over the successful season the roosters had in 2000. This was basically Gould's team. And at least 50% of the team from the 2002 GF win was from his era aswell.

Ricketson , Fletcher , Fitzgibbon and Bonnetti were much more than just solid players for that team

he took them from being a rable when he joined in 95' , to coming 6th and then 4th in his last two years.

You're statement was clear , that he was a bad recruiter at the roosters. Fact is you're wrong.

If you cant see he turned the roosters around , you must be blind.
Anasta, Finch, Mason, Omeley, Charlie Tonga, all on big or decent money I wonder how many of these players would be considered a success at the Roosters... I know what Roosters supporters think

Anasta, Finch, Mason, Omeley, Charlie Tonga, all on big or decent money I wonder how many of these players would be considered a success at the Roosters... I know what Roosters supporters think

Now you're just talking rubbish.

Phil Gould had nothing to do with the recruitment of mason or o'melley.

I doubt he even had much to do with anasta or charlie tonga. Ricky stuart was the man responsible there.

Im stunned you refuse to address the turn around of the roosters under gould.

It couldnt be more clear. Continuing to ignore it makes it clear you have no idea what you're talking about.

1994- 3rd last
1995-9th
1996- 4th
1997-5th
1998-6th
1999- 4th

BOMAR

Juniors
Just wondering what everyone will think of Gould if the current rumour of Coote leaving is true.

Latest posts