What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Put Down Rule Needs To Be Fixed

ek999

First Grade
Provide a clear and concise definition of what holding the ball is purely black and white and not open to interpretation by the referees. If you can't then you can't use it as a rule

Karl

Juniors
The rule is fine as it is. The application is some few cases might be hard and some degree of subjectivity or judgement may enter into it. That's inevitable. Changing the rule won't change that.

Tiger5150

Bench
No I'm with spock. The old rule (control of the ball) worked well and even more importantly its the same rule as applies for the rest of the field. If a player loses control of the ball on the field of play, it is a knock on regardless of whether his hand remains in contact (on the ground, into another player). Why should it change once you cross the try line?

clarency

Juniors
You can't "control" the ball with the torso or the forearm.

A rule stating that the ball must be grounded with the hand makes sense.

clarency

Juniors

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
I expect we might see an off-season review and some changes after some of the decisions this year.

First change I'd like to see made is the ridiculous situation where you can't be considered to have knocked-on from your torso but you sure as f**k can score a try with it.

Apey

Staff member
Bring back "control". People whined that was open to interpretation but apparently so is what we have now. :lol:

some11

Referee
Already posted in this thread but want to say it again - control with the hand/s.

If it doesn't look like a try, then don't f**king award it.

blacklock

Juniors
forans hand was on the ball and stripped it out..so when slater lands on it, its considered grounded. thats how they ruled it.

bottle

Coach
Get rid of the video ref.
The on field ref(s) make the call, aided by their touchies/pocket ref. Grow a pair, make the call. Eliminates BOTD.
Yes there will be errors, but they will be at normal speed and based on what they see at the time, not what a thousnad replays show ultimately still resulting in an error. I can live with human error in real time.
Was a fan of the VR initially, hate it now. Ruining the game.
Will also eliminate players laying down for a penalty. Let the MRC deal with this shit afterwards.

Billythekid

First Grade

It's such bullsh*t that you ground the ball with areas of your body that you can't knock on with. The rule is just a joke.

Can't be bothered complaining much because it has been this way for a few years but no matter how many times people complain nothing changes.

Stagger Lee

Bench
Get rid of the video ref.
The on field ref(s) make the call, aided by their touchies/pocket ref. Grow a pair, make the call. Eliminates BOTD.
Yes there will be errors, but they will be at normal speed and based on what they see at the time, not what a thousnad replays show ultimately still resulting in an error. I can live with human error in real time.
Was a fan of the VR initially, hate it now. Ruining the game.
Will also eliminate players laying down for a penalty. Let the MRC deal with this shit afterwards.

I'm with you 100%

KILL THE VIDEO REFS AND SAVE THE GAME

Latest posts