What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Really NSW 2011 thread that will be hated by all!

Noa

First Grade
Last night was his worst. He did the basic fullback stuff right and very well (he read Thurstons kicks brilliantly) but he took too many wrong options in set plays, he didnt kick on the 6th a couple of times. I can remember 2 passes that went to ground, one of which went over the sideline 2 meters out from the try line.

And he looked so tired with 15 minutes to go. He was sucking in big ones and was dawdling towards the play. He must be sick, its the only thing I can think off.
Solid offensively, great defensively = a decent game to me.

chrisD

Coach
Most line break and try assists of any fullback this season so far, not counting the ones the refs stole, in a team doing poorly, and then there's that kicking game. And he hasn't really hit form, but he's certainly not shockingly out of form. He's the best player in NSW and has been the most consistent Origin performer for NSW, the only way he isn't in the 1 is if Stuart is as big a one eyed raider as skeepe and raiders premier.

mrpwnd

Bench
Also, his drop ball 1 meter in front of the line with only Bowen in his way. I get that Bowen is strong for his size, but he still is only half a meter tall, he should have scored.
As an Eels fan you should know how uncharacteristic that is for Hayne.
I don't think he's been shockingly as out of form as some people think he is...Positionally he's improved so much, defensively quite decent against the cowboys, saved about 2-3 certain tries during goal line defense and racked up a good amount of LBA and TA in a team with severe deficiencies in strike power.
Everyone knows what he's capable of and it's that faith in ability that I'd want NSW to take note of as opposed to falling for flavor of the month players and media hype.

Dragon2010

First Grade
Gaz starte stepping up a bit today which was a good sign.

I think we just put Carney in the team get him to knock down the Ref like he did today and we will have no problem :)

hybrid_tiger

Coach
There really aren't many other options.

Buttriss - Solid
Morris - Solid
De Gois - Mixed (Good in attack, bad in defence)
Keating - Average
Young - Average (at hooker)
Riddell - Average

Really it's Ennis or bust if Farah goes down.

It pains me to say this but I think Gidley is the best option. Very sad I know.

There are really no other options, and I don't think they will throw another rookie in (De Gois).

adamkungl

Immortal
updated shortlist of potentials, injured players in italics

fullback
Hayne, Stewart, Dugan

wings
Hayne, Morris, Gordon, Uate, Ferguson

centre
Jennings, Lyon, Gasnier, Idris, Morris, Lawrence

five-eighth
Carney, Soward

halfback
Pearce, Mullen

props

Weyman, Mannah, Grant, Tolman, Snowden, Douglas, White, Galloway, King

hooker

Farah (?), Ennis, Gidley

second row/lock

Gallen, Bird, Watmough, Idris, Learoyd-Lahrs, Creagh, Fensom, Lewis

timka4

Bench
updated shortlist of potentials, injured players in italics

fullback
Hayne, Stewart, Dugan

wings
Hayne, Morris, Gordon, Uate, Ferguson

centre
Jennings, Lyon, Gasnier, Idris, Morris, Lawrence

five-eighth
Carney, Soward

halfback
Pearce, Mullen

props

Weyman, Mannah, Grant, Tolman, Snowden, Douglas, White, Galloway, King

hooker

Farah (?), Ennis, Gidley

second row/lock

Gallen, Bird, Watmough, Idris, Learoyd-Lahrs, Creagh, Fensom, Lewis
Add Houston to the second row / lock list and move TLL to prop, its his best position

Spanner in the works

First Grade
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...s-dragons-rest-for-origin-20110408-1d7nx.html

Blues favourite needs Dragons rest for Origin
Brad Walter
April 9, 2011
DEAN YOUNG has revealed he may need to be rested from some club games for St George Illawarra if he is chosen for this year's State of Origin series.

Young, who missed the Dragons' pre-season and the first three premiership rounds due to a chronic knee injury, is believed to be NSW coach Ricky Stuart's first choice for the Blues No.9 jersey ahead of Wests Tigers hooker Robbie Farah and Canterbury's Michael Ennis.

While reluctant to discuss his representative prospects, Young said he had struggled with his knee injury after playing for Country Origin last year and the latest setback was the result of an intense training camp at the start of the end-of-season Four Nations tournament.

''It stems back to 2006 when I had the three operations and a staph infection,'' he said. ''In 2007 … I came back early and got a fair bit of bone bruising through my knee. Ever since then my load has had to be managed and I haven't been able to train a hell of a lot but the staff have done a wonderful job and in the last three years I have played plenty of footy, so I can't really complain.

''Last year I only missed two games and at the time I sort of lied and said it was a calf strain. I got a bit of bone bruising when I played in the City-Country game on the Friday night, backed up against Manly the following night and then played seven days later against Parramatta.

''In the Aussie camp, the staff looked after me but we had a five-day mini pre-season when we first got into camp and that didn't help my cause. After the Four Nations I had a nine-week break and thought I had recovered but when I got back to training I hadn't … we got some scans and it showed that it was a bone bruise.

''If something happens this year and rep footy comes along then we would have to look at me missing some games for the Dragons but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.''

Really? Reasonably good player and all, but I don't think he is the player to trouble Queensland and I'd rather Farah. I guess we can see the make-up of part of the side already. Something like:

1. Gidley
2. Hayne

9. Young

17. Farah

or

1. Hayne
9. Young
17. Gidley

Doesn't do it for me at all...

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
There is no way Robbie Farah can be denied the starting hooker role. He could be captain within two years ffs.

What is it about backrowers that have Stuart so hot?

timka4

Bench
oh f**k... ohh f**k. We need creativity in our hooker role to help our halves out. Young has none, he isn't that type of backrower / hooker. We need Farah

League_God

Juniors
We all know Brett "the passenger" Morris will be there ahead of either Ferguson, Uate or Gordon.

In regards to Pearce/Carney - club combinations are seriously overrated.

boonboon

Juniors
I have done a review of each position looked at the options and also a smokey in most positions and then selected my player for each position and when I get to the end I will pick 4 reserves – Let me know your thoughts

Fullback
Options
Jarrod Hayne
Josh Dugan
Brett Stewart
Kurt Gidley
Smokey -Their isn't really one is this position
With a number of classy options, unfortunately for Dugan injury has struck , Hayne is the most classy and best in this position and has played well for NSW, Stewart probably needs 12 months in FG before being back in contention and Gidley has shown he isn't quite up to starting in origin esp with the class available - I think Hayne this year but in future he might be on the wing given its not our strongest position
Selection – Jarrod Hayne

Wing
Options
Micheal Gordon
. Aquila Uate
Brett Morris
Blake Ferguson
Smokey - James McManus
A lot of options for these 2 positions, Gordon was good last year for Penrioth and in his Origin debut and probably for mine deserves to hold his spot, Morris has some experience but for mine has never really stood out on the representative stage , Uate really knows how to score a try and this can be essential in Origin but their must be worries about his workrate and defence but perhaps his try-scoring abilities are needed, Ferguson has really impressed for the Raiders this year and has bucket loads of talent but perhaps he needs a full year for a little more maturity, as a smokey former origin winger McManus is back this year and still posses the same qualities that got him his original start
Selections – Micheal Gordon and Aquila Uate

Centres -
Options
Idris
Jennings
Lawrence
Gasnier
Lyon
Matt Cooper
Beau Scott
Smokey - Blake Ayshford
So many options for NSW here with the problem being that if they get it wrong it could be a huge mistake with Inglis and Hodges the QLD pair. Idris has started this year really well and after his tast last year is defiantly a serious contender but issues with his defence are still in most peoples mind. Strangley enough the incumbents are probably the least likely for mine Beau Scott shouldn't have played last year and definatly won't be their this year and Micheal Jennings while being a class player has been one of Penriths worst in a bad team so far this year. Chris Lawrence would have been a certainty for mine so his injury was unfortunate. Gasnier has come back from Rugby and has been solid withlout quite doing enough to say he should get his origin jumper back. Jamie Lyon has had an early season injury but probably deserves a spot if he can string a few games together as he has a god Origin history and is still a class player. Matt Cooper has played a lot of Origin but I think we all know that he hasn't been good enough. As a smokey I think the Tigers Blake Ayshford is probably one of the form centres of the game this year and he handled Inglis with ease last night

Selections
Jamie Lyon
Jamall Idris

Five Eight
Options
Todd Carney
Jamie Soward
John Sutton
Terry Campese
Kurt Gidley
Smokey – James Maloney
While I have listed a few options for 5/8 Todd Carney is definatly the standout here as long as he can keep his mind on the job and not the drink . Campese would have been a chance if he wasnt injured this year , Soward runs the dragons but doesent seem up to Orgin although with his kicking game he would add a new dimension to the team, Gidley has utility value but like at fullbakc he doesen't quite match up to his contenders at this level, My smokey is James Maloney who had a great year for the warriors last year although hasnt started so strong this year, antoher smokey could be John Sutton who has been seen as having potential for a few years – though perhaops a change of club would help him fullfill it

Selection - Todd Carney

Halfback
Options
Mitchell Pearce
Jarrod Mullen
Trent Hodkinson
Smokey – Peter Wallace

Some good options here for NSW although not much depth and not really the stars of the game available for QLD, Pearce is both the incumbent and also partners Carney at the roosters so is definatly the favourite , Mullen has had some Origin experience and so far this year his work with Matty Johns seems to have him in Career best form , Hodkinson is solid and played really well for City last year , the smokey here would be Peter Wallace who has played origin before and wasn't unimpressive when he did and the experience of years with the Broncos doesen't hurt

Selection – Mitchell Pearce

Backrow
Options
Gallen
Bird
Lewis
Watmough
Creagh
Waterhouse
Anasta
Laffranchi
Heiighington
Smokey -Houston

While there are a number of options for the backrow position for mine there are also some certainties in Gallen , Bird and Lewis who are the incumbents and looking at the options the best options as long as they are fit , Watmough came off the bench last year but he may struggle based on being a grub of a human being although it hasn't effected him previously, Creagh , Waterhous and Laffranchi have all played a little bit of Orgin over the last few years without looking like options . The smokey is Houston but firstly I don't think he is back to the same form and secondly dismissed or not him getting selected in rep football doesn't do the image of the game any good Hieghington could be an outside chance and this is probably his best year but he might not quiet be up to this level

Selection – Gallen, Bird, Lewis

Props
Options
Snowden
Douglas
Mannah
King
Galloway
Toleman
Merrin
Leahroyd Lars
Weyman
Smokey- Bryce Gibbs
Lots of prop options for NSW which is great, Snowden and King are the incumbents with Mannah and Leahroyd Lars on the bench in game 3 last year. King isn't up to it and won't get a spot. Snowden played ok last year and has a great start to the yr and with his ex coach Stuart now coaching nsw he should be a big chance. Douglas is a chance but probably not at the level of his NSW teammates. Toleman and Mannah are similar players who will do lots of work but don't do much that isnt straight up and down – you can probably have one but not 2 in a squad .Leahroyd Lars has been our best origin forward off the bench last few years although hasnt been in great form so far this year . Weyman has probably had his chance and is out injured at the moment. Merrin probably needs another year or 2 before he is up to this level. Galloway is a monster but does seem to go missing sometimes although perhaps that is down to the kind of football the tigers play which means they arent as forward orientated and Origin may be his go – he definatly has the build and skills with a good off load and that Tigers ball playing ability. My smokey is his tigers team mate Bryce Gibbs who is probably the best defensive prop in the game and has great endurance – his attack has improved and he seems to play his best football in big games

Selctions
Snowden
Toleman

Hooker
Options
Farah
Ennis
Young
Smokey- De Gois
Ennis is the incumbent but he gives away too many penalties, misses to many tackles and throws too many forward passes. He supposedly has Origin mentality but in reality he is just a grub and cost a game last year , penalties in origin just take too much out of teams. Farah has almost been the dally m winner most years, is the best attacker and a better defender then Ennis and works harder – he didnt seem to get on with Bellamy – should be the starting hooker with injury the only concern. Young is a converted backrower and toughish but you need skill to be the origin hooker and a great passing game neither of which he has DeGois is a smokey especiall with injuries his defence isnt perfect but he offers more in attack then Young or Ennis if Farrah is injured

Selection - Farah

Bench – For my Bench I would want a prop, a 2nd row prop , a backrower and a utility
Leahroyd Lars – The best NSW forward last few years off the bench
Bryce Gibbs- His endurance and defensive ability and he steps up in big games – perfect off the bench in Origin
Gidley- Talented enough to play any backline position and hooker off the bench just not as captain
Watmough – even though he is a grub he really is the next best option off the Bench in the backrow

So My team
Hayne
Uate
Lyon
Idris
Gordon
Carney
Pearce
Gallen
Bird
Lewis
Toleman