What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Really NSW 2011 thread that will be hated by all!

aqua_duck

Coach
I like Ben Creagh alot, wish he played for the knights but the moment he ran away from Hodges proved to me he hasn't got the origin mentality, was one of the most embarrassing moments I can remember as a blues fan, that and Ennis running to hide behind Snowden

abpanther

Staff member
I know I'm a bit of a homer but if Lewis is fit he has to be there, he was one of Australia's best at the four nations and provides plenty of flexibility should there be some injuries

Joker's Wild

Coach
Have you seen Hayne play this year? At least Gordon has a go.

Playing in a sh*tty Parra side, anyone will struggle for motivation.

Hayne plays his best footy at SOO level mate, he was NSW player of the series for a reason.

Short memories

BTW, Gordon would get one of my wing spots if I was selecting

Pazza

First Grade
Hayne always starts the season out form! Always comes good mid season.

Last edited:

Hutty1986

Immortal
I know I'm a bit of a homer but if Lewis is fit he has to be there, he was one of Australia's best at the four nations and provides plenty of flexibility should there be some injuries

I agree but he's out for six weeks atm, only concern is his fitness come SOO time??

Last year Creagh had very little impact in Origin and was rigthfully dropped. If picked this year he wouldn't let anyone down.

perverse

Referee
Creagh should never be picked again after his effort with Hodges. any forward that backs away from a centre should have a big red line through his name. what a skirt. ditto Ennis, the little f**king grub... but at least he was chicken sh*tting away from someone bigger than him.

Joe's Magpies

Juniors
What about Chris Heighington. With so many injuries, he has been great for the Tigers. He can play lock or second row. He should at least be picked on the bench.

mxlegend99

Referee
Playing in a sh*tty Parra side, anyone will struggle for motivation.

Hayne plays his best footy at SOO level mate, he was NSW player of the series for a reason.

Short memories

BTW, Gordon would get one of my wing spots if I was selecting
Like Dugan, Gordon is a more complete and consistent fullback then Hayne. Hayne when firing in attack is nothing short of freakish. There's no doubt about that.

But his positional play is weak at times and he can go missing in games. With his form at the moment, Hayne should be playing left wing for NSW. Just as he should have been if Dugan was fit. He has been the best player on the field there before, and his positioning can't hurt us as bad.

Michael Gordon has killed it at fullback in every game. With his average games being on par with Hayne in his dream run of form in 2009. He's safe, well positioned, strong defensively and his kick returns are ridiculous. About the only thing he doesn't possess is the ball playing skills that Hayne has. Although he's still a decent ball player - you just won't see a cut out pass from near the posts to the winger.

Obviously i'm biased... but Gordon has deadset been a class above in each of his games at fullback. I'm positive he would be a class above for NSW if picked... not that I actually think he's any chance at all. With Dugan likely to be out out, Hayne has that jersey no matter what his club form is like.

My back 3 would be:
Gordon
Hayne (LW)
Uate (RW)

Hutty1986

Immortal
Creagh should never be picked again after his effort with Hodges. any forward that backs away from a centre should have a big red line through his name. what a skirt. ditto Ennis, the little f**king grub... but at least he was chicken sh*tting away from someone bigger than him.

A one-off incident? Hodges is a dog and would have been belted anyway, they're not there to fight, they are there to win football games.

You throw one you might penalised anyway and we simply cannot afford to gift penalties to a side like qld.

The possibility of them picking someone like Lyon is a far greater concern.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Gordon's run at Fullback at the end of last year was unbelievable. These are just his metres gained when playing fullback:

Round 22 v Canberra - 21 Hit ups 197m
Round 23 V Wests Tigers - 21 Hit ups 183m
Round 24 v Souths - 21 Hit ups 270m
Round 25 v Bulldogs - 20 Hit ups 180m
Round 26 v Sharks - 17 Hit ups 192m
Qualifying Final v Canberra - 21 Hit ups 230m

Joker's Wild

Coach
and Haynes were

Round 22 v GC - 17 Hups (139m)
Round 23 v Brisbane - 16 Hups (134m)
Round 24 v Wests - 20 Hups (209m)
Round 25 v Souffs - 17 Hups (156m)
Round 26 v Warriors - 15 Hups (164m)

Of course, stats dont show how badly or well the rest of the side was going and how much room each fullback was given.

In short, stats only show a fraction of the picture

user_nat

Coach
Mostly spot on but Peter Wallace was terrible and should have been marked never to play again. Had one decent game then 4 stinkers in a row, got Campese scapegoated and dropped the game before we realised it was Wallace.

I'd love to see Peter Wallace in the sky blue again for 2 reasons:

A. He would miss games for Brisbane
B. I support QLD.

mxlegend99

Referee
Gordon's run at Fullback at the end of last year was unbelievable. These are just his metres gained when playing fullback:

Round 22 v Canberra - 21 Hit ups 197m, 9 tackle breaks, 1 try assist

Round 23 V Wests Tigers - 21 Hit ups 183m, 9 tackle breaks, 1 try, 2 line breaks, 3 offloads

Round 24 v Souths - 21 Hit ups 270m, 16 tackle breaks, 3 tries, 2 linebreaks

Round 25 v Bulldogs - 20 Hit ups 180m, 6 tackle breaks, 1 try assist, 3 offloads

Round 26 v Sharks - 17 Hit ups 192m, 6 tackle breaks, 1 line break, 1 offload

Qualifying Final v Canberra
- 21 Hit ups 230, 11 tackle breaks, 2 tries, 1 linebreak, 1 offload

Round 5 vs Raiders - 16 hit ups 132m, 6 tackle breaks, 1 line break, 1 try assist, 1 try
I've added a few more attacking stats, and this years game at fullback.

His total over 7 games:
137 hit ups for 1384m gained
63 tackle breaks
7 tries
7 line breaks
3 try assists
11 offloads

His average:
19.57 hit ups for 197.7m gained
9 tackle breaks
1 try
1 line break
0.43 try assists
1.57 offloads

In 3 of his 7 games (the ones in red), his team was badly beaten and he still stood out as one of the best, if not the best on ground. 2 of the games were to the Raiders where he was on par or ahead of Dugan.

mxlegend99

Referee
and Haynes were

Round 22 v GC - 17 Hups (139m)
Round 23 v Brisbane - 16 Hups (134m)
Round 24 v Wests - 20 Hups (209m)
Round 25 v Souffs - 17 Hups (156m)
Round 26 v Warriors - 15 Hups (164m)

Of course, stats dont show how badly or well the rest of the side was going and how much room each fullback was given.

In short, stats only show a fraction of the picture
Very true - Gordons stats don't do him justice at fullback IMO. Just watch a few Penrith games without him at fullback, then a few with him there and look at the influence he has over the entire side both in attack and defence.

He's such an effective last line of defence, and in attack his kick returns help us start our sets off far better and with momentum. He's also very effective in the middle of the field with his pace and strength - which is very handy while backing up waiting for offloads.

Hayne definitely has to be in the team, but so does Michael Gordon and Akuila Uate.

Akuila Uate is only a right winger
Flash is a fullback/right winger
Hayne is a fullback/left winger

With those 3 in the side it's strongest with Gordon at fullback, Hayne on the left wing and Uate on the right. Assuming Dugan isn't back and in form by then... at which point I think Gordon is out of the team and Dugan is fullback, Hayne on the left and Uate on the right.

perverse

Referee
A one-off incident? Hodges is a dog and would have been belted anyway, they're not there to fight, they are there to win football games.

You throw one you might penalised anyway and we simply cannot afford to gift penalties to a side like qld.

The possibility of them picking someone like Lyon is a far greater concern.
in a game that is pure physicality, yes. that one incident completely wrote off Ben Creagh for me, and he'll never live it down. this is State of Origin. you don't take a backward step, and the fact that he did tells me that he doesn't get the concept at all. i'd sooner play Lyon, at least he wouldn't cop sh*t from Justin f**king Hodges.

i agree with everyone extolling the virtues of Gordon at fullback, but he hasn't played there enough to have a genuine track record just yet for mine. Gordons worst enemy is his club coach, imo. we'd probably be throwing his name around a lot more if Gordon was a bit closer to the ball for the Panthers.

mxlegend99

Referee
in a game that is pure physicality, yes. that one incident completely wrote off Ben Creagh for me, and he'll never live it down. this is State of Origin. you don't take a backward step, and the fact that he did tells me that he doesn't get the concept at all. i'd sooner play Lyon, at least he wouldn't cop sh*t from Justin f**king Hodges.

i agree with everyone extolling the virtues of Gordon at fullback, but he hasn't played there enough to have a genuine track record just yet for mine. Gordons worst enemy is his club coach, imo. we'd probably be throwing his name around a lot more if Gordon was a bit closer to the ball for the Panthers.
It obviously depends on him staying there until Origin 1. That gives him 6 weeks last year and 5 or 6 weeks this year. If he maintains the same quality the entire time he'd be a safe option.

Especially since he has already made his debut for NSW and shown that he's able to bring his same club form and consistency into the side. Would have scored a try or two in his debut if his "centre" actually passed the ball.

But I can totally see Matt Elliott throwing him back on the wing in a week or two and ruining his chances at an Origin spot. He should have been moved to right centre for Round 1 this year and been able to throw his name in the hat for right centre aswell.

Mr Saab

Referee

It was the END of the game....throw something...anything. Instead he will be on highlight films for years to come backing away.
Creagh is a fine player, but an origin player he aint....still, i hope Ricky picks him for the one game Ricky is hoping to win.