What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

THE RED V NOSTALGIA THREAD

Johnny Raper was also a larrikin, so when he was accused of being 'the man in the bowler hat' nude walker in northern England on the '67/68 Kangaroo tour, most would have believed it. But for the great man's reputation at the time the event was found to be a case of mistaken identity.
Nevertheless he milked the incident for all it was worth, wearing the very English bowler hat for various promos and his autobiography. (see below)
1726366364561.jpeg

Jeez I'd love to read that book. Wonder if I can get the ebook version online.

Last edited:

shazam

Juniors
Back in the Johnny Raper era my father use to come down to Sydney from the bush for a bit of fun !!!
He would go to Checkers night club at the Cross & drink with a lot of footballers
His one story was Raper would get the telegram guy to sing out telegram for Mr Raper so everyone would know he was there

For some of our more esteemed posters on here - can you please provide an insight on to what the feeling was like at the time about the merger?

For context, I'm 32, so whilst I have some small memories of before the merger, my first real memories are of the 99 grand final. I would love an insight into that time period. I've asked my Father (who is also a Die Hard Dragon), I'm also interested in some others' thoughts as well.

Is anyone here from the Illawarra side of the merger?
It was like suffering a death in the family

blue bags

First Grade
Not sure if this is an urban myth buy older forumites might be able to confirm but there are stories of Raper turning up to games at the SCG on a Saturday straight from a night out the previous night and still turn in man of the match performances.
Yes it's true. Very common in those days
Johnny was extremely fit
He would jog to work. Jog back home
Jog to training. Jog back home

Last edited:
Not sure if this is an urban myth buy older forumites might be able to confirm but there are stories of Raper turning up to games at the SCG on a Saturday straight from a night out the previous night and still turn in man of the match performances.
I say true as I have heard it from respected league identities. Seems he either did not get hangovers or learned to ignore them and also prided himself on being the fittest player in the fittest team, to the point of fanaticism, often training alone and pumping iron after the others had left.

Last edited:
Such was Johnny Raper’s immense contribution to Australian Rugby League that his family were offered a state funeral when he passed two years ago.
Was there ever a better player to lace on a pair of footy boots than Johnny Raper and the ironic fact is he may have been lost to the Saints had not Frank Facer poached him from Newtown before he had gained his now legendary status.

The great man had too many accolades and awards to mention but perhaps his performance in the second Test of the 1963 Kangaroo tour of England best sums up his Immortal status. Played at Swinton in Greater Manchester on a bitterly cold November 9 the match became known as the 'Swinton Massacre' due mainly to Johnny Raper who had a major hand in the first seven tries in the opening 25-minute routing and he gave the final pass in four of them. Noel Kelly said 'Chook was unstoppable that day' and several former players said it was the 'best 80 mins of foot ball ever by a single player'.

The only footage I found of the match

Last edited:

Inisai Toga

Juniors
That was commonly told in the sixties and seventies. He’d party hard then played hard. Amazing!

Trifili13

Juniors
Hey guys, just found this which has plenty of great stories about our past champions and is worth the read.
Love the Bluey Wilson stories. While not condoning thuggery, but some players these days deserve a belting with the cheap shots and niggling that they do. I can just imagine the response of Bluey if a Storm player tried a chicken wing on him or a team mate or if Crichton stuck his nose in his mouth.

Dragon David

First Grade
I Like these words from Norm "Sticks" Provan -

"I always thought it was stupid when I heard Saints coaches of the ’80s and ’90s say that the deeds of the St George premiership-winning sides put unfair pressure on their teams to succeed. I say these coaches didn’t use the great tradition enough. That winning tradition should be a very strong attraction to young players. Saints’ tradition in the ’50s and ’60s attracted players from everywhere to trial with us and be a part of it.

‘That tradition shouldn’t be killed."

justadragon

Bench
I Like these words from Norm "Sticks" Provan -

"I always thought it was stupid when I heard Saints coaches of the ’80s and ’90s say that the deeds of the St George premiership-winning sides put unfair pressure on their teams to succeed. I say these coaches didn’t use the great tradition enough. That winning tradition should be a very strong attraction to young players. Saints’ tradition in the ’50s and ’60s attracted players from everywhere to trial with us and be a part of it.

‘That tradition shouldn’t be killed."
So True Dave, my thoughts are not only have the coaches not used that tradition to fire up their troops, but some of the players have been a complete embarrassment to those fine men that played with the big red V. What would Provan say about Hunts antics over the past few years, let alone as a Captain.

Dragon David

First Grade
So True Dave, my thoughts are not only have the coaches not used that tradition to fire up their troops, but some of the players have been a complete embarrassment to those fine men that played with the big red V. What would Provan say about Hunts antics over the past few years, let alone as a Captain.
Provan as the Coach would have told Hunt to clear out his #7 locker and pack his bags and piss off I would think.

We need now to really focus on toughening up our guys and I mean TOUGHEN THEM UP physically and mentally and ensure that they have their hearts in the right place and giving their all to the Dragons and nothing less.

Follow the traditions set by their fore-bearers with that never say die to win attitude.

Follow the traditions set by their fore-bearers with that never say die to win attitude.
Spot on DD. There is little or no emphasis put on the astounding deeds of our forefathers, their legacy STILL STANDS AFTER 50 YEARS. We need a boss in the mold of Frank Facer and a coach and assistant coach to instill in the players before every game that the club comes from a legendary background and that the iconic Red V jumper stands for GREATNESS.

Last edited:
This may be hard to swallow for most of us but it was the Poms that played a major part in our GOLDEN ERA. It was on the broad back of Ken 'killer' Kearney who introduced revolutionary tactical and coaching methods he picked up playing for Leeds in post war England. When he returned home in 1953 he chose St George to continue his career and as captain/coach he immediately applied these new methods. The cornerstone was their 'brick wall' defense and mental strength that had made the Poms the best side in world rugby league at the time. It was these two aspects that held sway thru the mighty Saints world record run and made them the envy of the world, even in England.

Last edited:

justadragon

Bench
Dean Young has espoused that very phrase, 'never say die' and 'dont give in until the final whistle' since arriving. Not sure too many of these drongos were listening DD. Young should be our head coach imho.
Lot of water to go under the bridge for that to happen yet RVH, dont underestimate Flanno he is a tough bugger and understands what those last losses meant to the fans, at least he had the decency to apologise on behalf of the team, it should have been the players that stood there and faced the music, and we all know which ones they are !!!

Latest posts