What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The ref in the tonga/ireland game is a disgrace

OVP

Coach
Didnt see it, but this Ganson fella intrigues me. From the posts on this forum, it appears he blows far too many penalties, only seems to ref one team, talks to players like they are children and is completely arrogant.

Pray tell, is he any relation to Steve Clark ? They could be long lost brothers or something. They may even make an appearance on that Channel 7 show about reuniting families. Steve f**k is the most abysmal disgrace of a referee I have ever seen in 33 years of watching league. It appears he has a contender for the crown :)

marv

Juniors
theres no doubt he is a tool and like screeny says he likes to be noticed but if tonga had shut up and learned how to tackle properly then you would have seen a much closer penalty count.

nadera78

Juniors
I'm not a fan of Steve Ganson but to be fair to him Tonga spent most of the game trying to show the world how tough they are. If they had concentrated on defending properly instead of being solely interested in big shots then they might not have conceded four tries and they might not have concede so many penalties for high tackles, facials, etc.

And tbh we all complain about players thinking they are above the law so if he wants them to speak to him politely instead of effing and blinding then fair enough. Lots of those guys play over here so they know what he's like.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
Nadera has it nailed on. The lack of discipline from Tonga almost cost them the game. Sure they were big and strong, but did they have to show it at EVERY single tackle whether the opportunity was there or not? So many times they left Ganson with absolutely no choice but to blow for a penalty.

It was an awesome game by the way, not many of you noticing that. Australia as a country is really letting itself down with the World Cup so far. The press is geniused, the players are ignorant and the fans don't give a shi$ from what we've seen so far.

***MH***

Bench
The good thing that came out of Gansons performance was that it highlighted how good the game can be once you get the grappling and wrestling out of the game. Once Tonga got the message (eventually) that he will penalise you for it, the game reached its excitement peak.

ali

Bench
I didn't mind Ganson's performance. I thought Tonga were playing dirty, and Ganson had to get control of the game.

Evil Homer

Staff member
What wrong calls did Ganson make? Apart from the forwards pass for Ireland's try, I can't think of too many.

typicalfan

Coach
im a glad a ref finally had the balls to go to the next level unlike our boys saying "next time ill take stronger action" every time

Gansens calls came out of Tongan poor discipline, Tonga were a 20 point better side skill wise but were cocky and showed a lot of dissent

cb4

First Grade
im a glad a ref finally had the balls to go to the next level unlike our boys saying "next time ill take stronger action" every time

Gansens calls came out of Tongan poor discipline, Tonga were a 20 point better side skill wise but were cocky and showed a lot of dissent

well said

Michelle Leslie

Juniors
for mine most of what I have read on here has merit.

Yes, Tonga were out to prove a point. A stupid point and deserved to be penalised for SOME of their infringements.
The ref had a chip on his shoulder.
The ref was biased towards Ireland and knew a lot of the players by first name.

marv

Juniors
What wrong calls did Ganson make? Apart from the forwards pass for Ireland's try, I can't think of too many.

Thats right, and you could also argue the touch judge should be calling the forward passes but at the time he was about 5m behind play.

marv

Juniors
Yes, Tonga were out to prove a point. A stupid point and deserved to be penalised for SOME of their infringements.

some, yeah about 98% of their infringments

The ref had a chip on his shoulder.

Yeah, cant argue with you there

The ref was biased towards Ireland and knew a lot of the players by first name.

Now your being silly, the ref, refs games in England, the Irish players are mostly drawn from the English comp, did you expect him not to know them after taking charge of their games all year all year?

He also called Willie Manu and Richard Fa'aso by his first name, probably because they play/played in SL.

Michelle Leslie

Juniors
some, yeah about 98% of their infringments

Yeah, cant argue with you there

Now your being silly, the ref, refs games in England, the Irish players are mostly drawn from the English comp, did you expect him not to know them after taking charge of their games all year all year?

He also called Willie Manu and Richard Fa'aso by his first name, probably because they play/played in SL.

so how do you think the tongan boys feel on the back end of 9-2 penalty count at half time and the ref is calling the opposition by first name.

Of course the ref knew the players you bellend.
That was not the point.

The point is that the ref is supposed to be neutral.

The main discrepancy between the two sides was the penalties for slowing down the play the ball in the first half.

There was a massive bias towards Ireland and Tonga were justified in their frustration.

marv

Juniors
so how do you think the tongan boys feel on the back end of 9-2 penalty count at half time and the ref is calling the opposition by first name.

I dont really know and dont see what relevance it is whatsoever, if the Tongan boys had kept their mouth shut and learned how to tackle then it wouldt have mattered whose name he knew.

Of course the ref knew the players you bellend.
That was not the point.

The point is that the ref is supposed to be neutral.

He was.

There was a massive bias towards Ireland and Tonga were justified in their frustration.

Bollocks, the frustration was pointless regardless of what you think back chatting is not going to change a refs mind.

Kiki

First Grade
i was at the game i dont think the ref was bias. the tongans were shocking around the ruck and got penalised accordingly.

Michelle Leslie

Juniors
I want to make it clear that I am not a supporter of Tonga.
It was my observation of the game.

It is not just me that thinks the ref was useless.

Australians are used to sub standard referees.

But your guy was not only making poor decisions he was making biased decisions.

Why do you think this thread was written in the first place??

Latest posts