What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Roosters... The Next NRL Super Club?

Mr Spock!

Referee
I Iook at other clubs and I'll be buggered if I can work out how they're spending their 9.6 million salary cap eg Warriors, Bulldogs, Cowboys, Titans, Sea Eagles.....

Some blokes are getting paid a mozza who wouldn't make the easts first grade team.

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
I Iook at other clubs and I'll be buggered if I can work out how they're spending their 9.6 million salary cap eg Warriors, Bulldogs, Cowboys, Titans, Sea Eagles.....

Some blokes are getting paid a mozza who wouldn't make the easts first grade team.

My Cowboys are spending 1 million of it pretty well... but outside of Taumalolo... yup....

Perth Red

Post Whore
That's the thing with an across the board major salary increase, you dont get better talent, just the talent you have got gets more money. So you're $150k plodder is now a $250k plodder.
Although the larger salary gap between NRL and SL does now seem to be encouraging overseas talent to move over here.

Mr Spock!

Referee
That's the thing with an across the board major salary increase, you dont get better talent, just the talent you have got gets more money. So you're $150k plodder is now a $250k plodder.
Although the larger salary gap between NRL and SL does now seem to be encouraging overseas talent to move over here.
And that's the clubs fault.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Apparently Taylor, foran and Johnson are on a million a year...

See that's the clubs own fault for stupidity.

Interesting comments by sterlo

Only three NRL players worth $1 million per season, says Peter Sterling

Only three players in the NRL – Cameron Smith, Sam Burgess and Jason Taumalolo - are worth $1 million per season, says legendary halfback Peter Sterling.

All three stars reportedly make seven figures per season, yet they are far from alone. Other players in the NRL who have been reported to make $1 million per season are Manly’s Daly Cherry-Evans, St George Illawarra’s Ben Hunt, Sydney Roosters’ Cooper Cronk, Cronulla’s Shaun Johnson, Canterbury’s Kieran Foran, Brisbane’s Anthony Milford, North Queensland’s Michael Morgan, Newcastle’s Mitchell Pearce and Gold Coast’s Ash Taylor.

Players such as Angus Crichton, Jack Bird, Damien Cook, Matt Moylan, Tom Trbojevic and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck are just below $1 million a year, according to reports.

Sterling said that many of the NRL’s top earners were being paid on potential rather than consistent match-winning performances.

“That’s pretty much 10 per cent of your salary cap, so you’ve got to be getting value for money,” Sterling said on The Sunday Footy Show.

“I can only see three guys I’d pay a million dollars [a season] for in the modern game under the salary cap: Cameron Smith (Storm), Sam Burgess (Rabbitohs) and Jason Taumalolo (Cowboys).

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/peter-...r-season/2f0dae38-0e4a-4cef-89c3-6ad5add7a237

Mr Spock!

Referee
When you have clubs paying a million for blokes who don't even play origin you know they're getting overpaid.

Perth Red

Post Whore
And that's the clubs fault.

No thats called market forces. If other clubs are offering $250k good luck keeping them on $150k. AS the cap goes up salaries go up, talent pool stays the same. Its why there was good argument not to give so much money to clubs/players and instead put it into grassroots and jnr development, an argument lost due to Grant.

Mr Spock!

Referee
No thats called market forces. If other clubs are offering $250k good luck keeping them on $150k. AS the cap goes up salaries go up, talent pool stays the same. Its why there was good argument not to give so much money to clubs/players and instead put it into grassroots and jnr development, an argument lost due to Grant.
Nope it's the clubs fault.

The market is the clubs.

And that's probably why clubs are the way they are.

Well paid nuffies.

Theres plenty of other 150 grand nuffies lining up if said nuffy is being offered 100 grand extra to play for the bulldogs.

Most of the bulldogs/warriors/titans players wouldnt be playing first grade at the top clubs.

And you have players who aren't state of origin standard eg Taylor, foran, milford, bird chewing up nearly 10% of the clubs cap.

Hard to see who they spend their 9.6 million on.

wibble

Bench
I think the Roosters have an excellent squad, and are very well coached.

And have been like that for a number of years.

But I don't think their squad "on paper" is leagues ahead of other clubs. Melbourne, Souths, and Sharks have had pretty consistently good squads for a number of years also, and other squads like Cowboys, Broncos and Panthers at times have had at least a core group of elite players where you think they can be (and should be) competitive.

Knights in the past and Bulldogs right now, have had terrible squads, and many others are or have been poor, but Roosters being much better than those squads is more a reflection of how poor those squads are than how good the Roosters are.

Last year everyone said the Roosters had poor forwards (compared to the other good sides) right up until the finals, when their forwards showed how tough to get through they were. But even so, they don't look as "expensive" a pack as others. Their spine is of course magnificent, but that shows where they have put the most effort, salary cap wise.

They have had Politis and a good stable off field team for decades, but that hasn't turned them into a super club. And Manly were a "super" club of the late 2000s/early 2010s despite being a disaster off the field and not rolling in wealth.

I think it is pretty clear some astute coaching and some elite players staying at a club for a while are what make a club "super", and Roosters have those at the moment, and will lose those at some point and go back in the cycle like all other clubs (unless they keep Robbo for a Bellamy like stint).

parrawentyfan

Juniors
When you consider how many times they were minor premiers in the past 10-15 years and how often they've been finals contenders, it's surprising their hasn't already been a dynasty.

adamkungl

Immortal
When you have clubs paying a million for blokes who don't even play origin you know they're getting overpaid.

Typical Western Sydney club
>Paying someone $700k to sit in reserve grade
>Paying 6 figure salaries of 3 players at other more successful clubs

"How do the Roosters manage to have so many good players, National RIGGED League!!!"

Life must float by real easy when you're secure in the knowledge that everyone better than you is only there because they cheated and it's nothing to do with your own constant failures.

Valheru

Coach
Life must float by real easy when you're secure in the knowledge that everyone better than you is only there because they cheated and it's nothing to do with your own constant failures.

It's a victim mentality.

Not only is our roster not fair but it is seemingly impossible for us to win a game without the refs favouring us too.

H.H

Juniors
It's a victim mentality.

Not only is our roster not fair but it is seemingly impossible for us to win a game without the refs favouring us too.
I'll take it further, it's a rugby league fan mentality. It's laughable but frustrating at the same time.

Single example - if we openly rorted the cap like everyone thinks, then we'd have kept someone like Fergo. But we don't, so we let him go when he got an offer we could not match.

TheFrog

Coach
Are the Chooks the next NRL Super Club that will replace Melbourne Storm and win a stack of premierships (albeit legally)?
Haven't the chickens won more premierships than the drizzle this century already? One senses inadequacy here. Seek help.

I'll take it further, it's a rugby league fan mentality. It's laughable but frustrating at the same time.

Single example - if we openly rorted the cap like everyone thinks, then we'd have kept someone like Fergo. But we don't, so we let him go when he got an offer we could not match.

Yep. Remember when Newcastle were salary cap hamstrung back when $500,000 a season was considered big money and they were purportedly paying that amount to Akila Uate? That is why they were hamstrung. You have to work out a budget and roughly how much money you are going to chuck at each position.

TheFrog

Coach
Broncos fans whining about other clubs' salary cap accounting is peak Rugby League
I've got an idea. Lets have two comps. One comprised of teams exempt from the salary cap and the other of teams subject to the cap. The Roosters and Broncos can play their Grand Final in March and go fishing all winter. The remaining 14 could add a Perth team and a second Brisbane team. Voila, every problem solved in four lines.

Reactions: Vee

Someguy

First Grade

Funny thing is the no.2(storm)teams best player (Munster) would struggle to lock down a bench utility spot if he played for roosters

Latest posts