What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Ropati try

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
One replay showed it was a clear try.

But let's keep trying. The forum thinks the penalty try was no try, now if we take away this it's back to 22-20.

Now, how to take another try off the Kiwis.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach

But let's keep trying. The forum thinks the penalty try was no try, now if we take away this it's back to 22-20.

Fa'alogo knocked on before Blair scored;-)

Seriously we were pretty lucky. Not saying that any of the decisions were blatantly wrong, but a whole lot of weird stuff happened that went our way. We scored 6 tries but only 2 of them were "normal tries" so to speak.

Anyway....imo you could argue that Benji still got a touch, regardless of whether or not it was stripped, and that therefore it was still a knock-on. Any time the ball is stripped like that it pretty much inevitably is propelled by the hands of both players. Hard to tell though and probably fair enough to be benefit of the doubt.

A question- does it matter whether Laffranchi actually deliberately stripped it or not?

Everyone seems to assume that's the issue, but for me the issue is whether or not Marshall propelled the ball forward....therefore, even if Laffranchi knocked it out unintentionally, there's still no knock-on by Marshall?

Raider_69

Post Whore
Cant understand that try.
Look at the tackle and tell me the defender intentionally try to strip the footy, all he did was make an attempt at tackle, if Marshall has poor ball security then that's his problem
it was the right call though because thats been the exact interpretation for a few years now. I hate it though and think more emphasis should be placed on the ball carriers ball security. It seems these days anytime someone drops and a hand is in the general vicinity of the ball, its a penalty

I was ok with the ruling. In the NRL it would have been pulled up as a knock on 95% of the time, but that is not necessarily correct. In the NRL, just about any dropped ball is a knock on unless it goes miles backwards.

Another bugbear of mine in the NRL is how any bobbling of the ball in the play the ball is pulled up for a scrum. How often do you see a guy not get a proper heel first try then rakes it backwards on the 2nd attempt ...usually that results in a scrum, which I think is wrong.

Loudstrat

Coach

Exactly. Forensic science and 12 schooners will no doubt show that Blair was not facing Mecca when he scored. Therefore Australia claims a moral victory. :roll:

Oi, fellow aussies......WE WERE BEATEN BY A BETTER TEAM!!!!!!!

End of story.

ozbash

Referee
just highlighted JRo's obvious world class at centre, leaping on the loose ball and touching down,, again,,, as he does,, oftenly :)

yep, yep, yep,, 09's going to be JRo's year...

Jesbass

First Grade
At first glance, (side on), I thought Marshall had lost it forward, but the replays showed that there was a clear strip, and thus the awarding of the try was the right decision.

Jesbass

First Grade
Exactly. Forensic science and 12 schooners will no doubt show that Blair was not facing Mecca when he scored. Therefore Australia claims a moral victory. :roll:

Oi, fellow aussies......WE WERE BEATEN BY A BETTER TEAM!!!!!!!

End of story.

I admittedly haven't been on LU much since the match, but after Ricky Stuart and Paul Gallen insisted that the result was a conspiracy, it's very refreshing to see an Australian who is willing to accept the loss graciously. Thank you. :thumn

westie

Bench
The NRL rules suggest that if a hand is in contact with the ball and the hand makes a movement away from the ball - penalty.

The ARL wanted NRL rules - so they got them. Can't whinge now.

Iafeta

Referee
First impression watching live is "F@rk Benji, not another dropped ball", watching it on replay though it was an incredibly good piece of refereeing. Laffranchi rakes the ball out, it goes forward without promotion from Marshall, Fa'alogo gets it and the rest is history.

Try.

just highlighted JRo's obvious world class at centre, leaping on the loose ball and touching down,, again,,, as he does,, oftenly :)

yep, yep, yep,, 09's going to be JRo's year...

Fa'alogo was the man doin the swooping...J-Ro did well to catch and force though.

Slackboy72

Coach
We were not beaten by a better team.
We were not beaten by a conspiracy.
We were beaten by Billy Slater.

screeny

Bench
First impression watching live is "F@rk Benji, not another dropped ball", watching it on replay though it was an incredibly good piece of refereeing. Laffranchi rakes the ball out, it goes forward without promotion from Marshall, Fa'alogo gets it and the rest is history.

Try.
Exactly right. That's what I was going to say. That particular episode was one notable instance when one can say "Klein refereed brilliantly". It would have been easy for a ref to blow immediately, knock on, and the game would continue without a fuss with an Oz scrum.

But Klein's excellent performance resulted in the correct course of action, not just on this occasion. Due to his excellence NZ's superiority was aptly displayed in the score.

I think an interesting question is: would Archer have waited for the vid ref on the JRo try? Or for Lockyer's no try after Smith's kick? Two huge moments that contributed towards a NZ win (and both were dealt with correctly under Klein, if not a neutral ref, certainly more neutral than Archer!).

Loudstrat

Coach
I admittedly haven't been on LU much since the match, but after Ricky Stuart and Paul Gallen insisted that the result was a conspiracy, it's very refreshing to see an Australian who is willing to accept the loss graciously. Thank you. :thumn

Quite frankly I am embarrassed by their carry on.