What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

the ruck

tresurehunt

Juniors
i was at the melbourne game tonight and i could not believe what i was seeing. melbourne were holding our players down ,laying all over them . they really put pressure on the refs all night. now the ref cant blow a penalty all night ,right ? so they get away with it for most of the game. the referees in my opinion have a huge input of the outcome off the game.

5 min to go ,the biggest square up you'll ever see ,melb penalty, kick for touch ,try, we loose in the 76th min

hayne didnt need to cut it that fine for his try, he just tried to make it look more difficult than it really was imo.

Kornstar

Coach
i was at the melbourne game tonight and i could not believe what i was seeing. melbourne were holding our players down ,laying all over them . they really put pressure on the refs all night. now the ref cant blow a penalty all night ,right ? so they get away with it for most of the game. the referees in my opinion have a huge input of the outcome off the game.

5 min to go ,the biggest square up you'll ever see ,melb penalty, kick for touch ,try, we loose in the 76th min

hayne didnt need to cut it that fine for his try, he just tried to make it look more difficult than it really was imo.

I actually don't think he was trying to be fancy, i think he realised too late how close he was to the sideline and then shit himself......

Forty20

First Grade
Moot point anyway - Hayne's try should have been Benefit Of The Doubt anyway...

On principal, not letter of the law, I disagree as Hayne did not have control of the football as he grounded it. However the downward pressure rule has lead to some disgraceful decisions over the last few years and on precedent that should have been awarded.

I would much rather the refs switched the onus back to the player needing to have control, unless a player is grounding a loose ball (as a result of a bad carry, dropped bomb,grubber etc) in which case the refs exercise common sense to determine whether downward pressure lead to a try or a knock on.

Sadly that would require our officials to possess a modicum of common sense.

Suitman

Post Whore
try or no try he made it harder than he had to ,imo

He sure did and by trying to be a hero.
I'm Hayne's biggest fan (no shit Suity......along with 10 000 other Eels fans), but even I'm starting to get over his egotistical ways.
He's losing me.

Suity

PS. He ain't no 5/8th...................yet.

ParraSteve

Juniors
The storm get away with so much in the play the ball it's not funny, they are the best team at slowing down the ruck and get away with it

Eelementary

Post Whore
On principal, not letter of the law, I disagree as Hayne did not have control of the football as he grounded it. However the downward pressure rule has lead to some disgraceful decisions over the last few years and on precedent that should have been awarded.

I would much rather the refs switched the onus back to the player needing to have control, unless a player is grounding a loose ball (as a result of a bad carry, dropped bomb,grubber etc) in which case the refs exercise common sense to determine whether downward pressure lead to a try or a knock on.

Sadly that would require our officials to possess a modicum of common sense.

I disagree. I have seen worse tries given on many an occasion. It should have been either ref's call or BOTD. The video ref checking the replay 26 times indicates severe doubt. But no - he pushes the no try button. He screwed us, fair and simple.

Having said that we let Melbourne back in the game and they were good enough to win it.

Eelementary

Post Whore
By the way - I agree with you all in saying Jarryd's dive was dumb. Having said that, it should have been awarded in my eyes anyway...In the end it wasn't, and I won't say that that decision cost us the game, but I cannot understand how other tries which are deadset no tries get awarded and this one that had reasonable doubts either way gets denied flat out.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
I think he was focused on sheer speed trying to outrun the covering defence and at the last moment or two realised his trajectory at top speed was directing him towards the sideline just before the tryline - he was going too fast to quickly adjust direction so he did his add-lib thing at speed. Based on downward pressure precedents this year, it should have been a benefit of the doubt try. He was not trying to show off.

Suitman

Post Whore
I think he was focused on sheer speed trying to outrun the covering defence and at the last moment or two realised his trajectory at top speed was directing him towards the sideline just before the tryline -

Sorry Casp.
But when was the last time someone's speed towards the tryline propelled towards the sideline, So much so that they couldn't angle their run?? :lol:
I'm surprised Hayne hasn't copped more on here tonight about this.
In saying that, he didn't cost us the match by that poor judgement.

Suity

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Sorry Casp.
But when was the last time someone's speed towards the tryline propelled towards the sideline, So much so that they couldn't angle their run?? :lol:

Suity

There is always a first time or a once in a blue moon.
"Shit Happens" in the moment - we make decisions later realising we stuffed up.
This can happen in matters of seconds or minutes or hours or days....

pulling-out.jpg

Last edited:

oldmancraigy

Coach
Back to the original point:

agree - and this is the thing I hate most about the refs.
"penalty; penalty; penalty" then perhaps a chat with the captain to say "if you're not careful I'll put someone in the bin" - which is actually code for "I'm not blowing any more penalties for holding down"

I hate it - and the Storm just get away with it.

strider

Post Whore
I think he was focused on sheer speed trying to outrun the covering defence and at the last moment or two realised his trajectory at top speed was directing him towards the sideline just before the tryline - he was going too fast to quickly adjust direction so he did his add-lib thing at speed. Based on downward pressure precedents this year, it should have been a benefit of the doubt try. He was not trying to show off.

Sorry Casp.

Suity

holy crap - i'm gonna agree with casper :shock: (and then go wash my dirty fingers for typing that)

I honestly think he simply misjudged how slose the defense was and was more worried about out running them (speed) - then tired as he got close - and had to try something last minute to pull it off

eel01s

Bench
Back to the original point:

agree - and this is the thing I hate most about the refs.
"penalty; penalty; penalty" then perhaps a chat with the captain to say "if you're not careful I'll put someone in the bin" - which is actually code for "I'm not blowing any more penalties for holding down"

I hate it - and the Storm just get away with it.

Parra did get a fair go with the penalties. But geez the Storm are masters of wrestling in the ruck. They could/should have been penalised even more.

However the penalty against Ben Smith (I am sure he has a huge target on him) was pretty harsh.

strider

Post Whore
Parra did get a fair go with the penalties. But geez the Storm are masters of wrestling in the ruck. They could/should have been penalised even more.

However the penalty against Ben Smith (I am sure he has a huge target on him) was pretty harsh.

gotta agree! .... they gave a few holding down penalties in the first 20 mins - then throw awaya the whistle for 50 mins - then bam! nice piggyback repeat set for the storm - and try - fmd!!