What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

BLM01

First Grade
Ryles having control of the assistants seems a no-brainer, the players I can probably agree with too (rather than a committee). I dont know if Ryles influence would swing down to reserve grade and pathways coaches etc.. maybe.

I don't imagine we will be sitting here in 2-3years begrudging Ryles player selections and favourites, I mean some of that happens with every coach and we cant all agree on selections... but Mary & Hook were something special in that department... and you dont want situations like Liddle re-signing followed by a demotion with MBye getting the gig.. that sounds like coaching & recruitment not being on the same page.
I can guarantee if we are not winning games in 2-3 years then the forum and fans will be calling for any coaches head
People here talk about Rookies like Fitzy & Ciraldo
Ciraldo has one of the better squads for 1st grade that the Dogs have had for a few years
Dont think he is doing too well ATM although beat us. (that is not hard)
They still are not that much better in winning games than waht they did under Potter or Pay.

TheRev

Coach
I 100% agree BLM01, what I mean though.. Hook and Mary played favourites, Hook to an insane level.. if the coach is atleast supporting reserve graders that are putting in the effort and in form... and not giving free passes to his favourites.. I think we can work with that.. Hook has broken us fans with his selections.. I could probably even handle his dour tactics if he was atleast developing the right players.

The judgement on Ciraldo imo is really unfair though, they started the season without 5 of their props and still havent gotten them back.. I think their brand of footy has been outstanding and I'd be pretty stoked if I was a doggies supporter.. we wont get anywhere near that.. even if we get richo, gould is next level.. I just want to be competitive again and have some stars I can be proud of again.

Dragon David

First Grade
I 100% agree BLM01, what I mean though.. Hook and Mary played favourites, Hook to an insane level.. if the coach is atleast supporting reserve graders that are putting in the effort and in form... and not giving free passes to his favourites.. I think we can work with that.. Hook has broken us fans with his selections.. I could probably even handle his dour tactics if he was atleast developing the right players.

The judgement on Ciraldo imo is really unfair though, they started the season without 5 of their props and still havent gotten them back.. I think their brand of footy has been outstanding and I'd be pretty stoked if I was a doggies supporter.. we wont get anywhere near that.. even if we get richo, gould is next level.. I just want to be competitive again and have some stars I can be proud of again.
I'd like to see us play an exciting brand of football that I can look forward to every week and not have the feeling of dread and despair by losing with no intent and passion and lack of excitement games. Losing will happen to all teams in the competition in this day and age of the NRL. The better teams at least keep their fans happy by giving them something for their money even on the days that they might lose.

I'm not expecting us to be unbeatable (although that would of course be fantastic). To be minor premiers again one day would be the icing on the cake for a lot of us. This is attainable but it would take so much of a massive change in many areas of the club that it could possibly never happen.

So the rumours that we need to see, hear and talk about would have to be realistic and sensible and wise in all aspects relating to the coaching staff, managerial staff and of course the playing staff. Everything needs to be put into their respective departments and hopefully the guys in charge of the relevant departments are expert enough to bring about a quality football team.

Not too much to ask for is it?

since77

Juniors
I can guarantee if we are not winning games in 2-3 years then the forum and fans will be calling for any coaches head
People here talk about Rookies like Fitzy & Ciraldo
Ciraldo has one of the better squads for 1st grade that the Dogs have had for a few years
Dont think he is doing too well ATM although beat us. (that is not hard)
They still are not that much better in winning games than waht they did under Potter or Pay.
Agree on the Bulldogs but they have had some injury issues and a total dud half in Flanagan. No wonder they were very wisely having a nibble at Sullivan last year. Having said that despite their position on the ladder they have Improved a bit this year and at Current trajectories they’ll be playing finals footy before we do.
IMO the jury is still out on Ciraldo at this stage which is why I’m nervous about any supposed gun assistant becoming a rookie coach and trying to turn around the mess we have here at the Dragons. The time for that kind of risk was when McDud was punted.

Parko1310

Juniors
Mate you also have to look at who was available at the time , not defending him , but that has to come into it .....
I get that point, but mainly I was saying that Brown was seemingly impatient. Ponga and Pearce were fine for starters, but signings like Hymel Hunt, Aidan Guerra, Ese'ese, Slade Griffin and even Kurt Mann were on massive overs, didn't improve the side much and hamstrung future recruitment. It didn't need to play out that way if more patience was involved. The Knights have done nothing since.

possm

Coach
Well that coach would be useless. Because if you sign him to a 3 year deal he won’t be preparing a team for a grand final in that time.

You need a rebuilder. Get a Brian Smith type for 2 years. Then a grand final crafter.
I'd settle for Hasler for 3 years and extend his contract if mutually agreed.

HenryTatana

Juniors
Agree on the Bulldogs but they have had some injury issues and a total dud half in Flanagan. No wonder they were very wisely having a nibble at Sullivan last year. Having said that despite their position on the ladder they have Improved a bit this year and at Current trajectories they’ll be playing finals footy before we do.
IMO the jury is still out on Ciraldo at this stage which is why I’m nervous about any supposed gun assistant becoming a rookie coach and trying to turn around the mess we have here at the Dragons. The time for that kind of risk was when McDud was punted.
Remove Burton from the dogs and they are as good as us and the tigers.

BLM01

First Grade

I think you are bit lenient on the Dogs. Their defense record is one of the worst
What 5 props? apart from Thompson? who they wanted to punt.
TPJ is back but he is massively overpaid and does SFA for them since arriving on the big coin.
You sound like GUS wtelling everyone to feel sorry for all their missing players when they did have a couple of weeks of injury runs.
They just let Davey walk out the door to Parra?
Burton is not a 7, he is a centre. Yeh they have scored some good long range tries but their fans were bagging them weeks ago when they could not score from close range.
They drop Flanno (Gus call?) and I think they only beat us since.
Anyway agree to disagree on that one but your fist para I think is close to spot on ;)

BLM01

First Grade

Everyone including the media dont focus enough (because they love the Dolphins) that thanks to the NRL allowing a 17th team the cupboard for recruitment is really bare for everyone
We did not have enough 1st grade at 16 teams with a few goodies over the SL
We now have clubs lining up for mid 30's halves and props who are about to retire just for experience
It is really going to get worse unless they change or align reggies more with 1sts

Last edited:
Had an interesting chat with one of our club’s sponsors

He has a suite and hasn’t used it in many weeks.

Says many of the sponsors are complaining and are unlikely to renew sponsorship next season.

He regularly speaks to Craig Young and current StG Illawarra officials from the STG side of the venture.

The STG wants Hasler. Hasler is only interested in coming if he has complete control.

Illawarra side wants Ryles.

Very little has apparently been done so far in terms of progressing the coach search.

Illawarra currently has the last say and no money is spent without Bruce Gordon approval.

Take the information provided with a grain of salt.

The bloke I spoke to is a long time sponsor of the club. He is very disappointed and upset.

TheRev

Coach
Had an interesting chat with one of our club’s sponsors

He has a suite and hasn’t used it in many weeks.

Says many of the sponsors are complaining and are unlikely to renew sponsorship next season.

He regularly speaks to Craig Young and current StG Illawarra officials from the STG side of the venture.

The STG wants Hasler. Hasler is only interested in coming if he has complete control.

Illawarra side wants Ryles.

Very little has apparently been done so far in terms of progressing the coach search.

Illawarra currently has the last say and no money is spent without Bruce Gordon approval.

Take the information provided with a grain of salt.

The bloke I spoke to is a long time sponsor of the club. He is very disappointed and upset.
Great post.. tbh the narrative all fits.. plenty thought we had Hasler over the line.. but if the other side wanted Ryles, and Ryles wasnt even an option.. no wonder things just drifted... all until last week when Ryles was suddenly back on the market... and Creagh set up that meeting with Lancaster.

Makes me sad that we cant seem to come together on 1 vision and what's best for the club.. I guess everyone has their opinion.. but if the real issue is not Hasler.. but more the giving up control part.. I think the board are getting that wrong.. they have run the club into the ground with their 'control', hand it over to someone who's done it many times before imo.. and get out of the way.

Seems like Ryles will be the most likely choice that they would all compromise on.. but if he says no, god knows what Plan B will be..

Also sounding less and less like the vision of the richo/brown/coach is going to be getting announced on tuesday..

Dragons4me

Juniors
Payton/Fitzgibbon/Ciraldo......... All inexperienced with head coaching roles that haven't worked out too bad.

Payton/Fitzgibbon - still early days but promising, I'll give you that.
Ciraldo - Dogs with a rookie coach currently third last just above us on the ladder despite mega financal backing and unequalled hype. Distinct lack of media noise about them at the moment!

Great post.. tbh the narrative all fits.. plenty thought we had Hasler over the line.. but if the other side wanted Ryles, and Ryles wasnt even an option.. no wonder things just drifted... all until last week when Ryles was suddenly back on the market... and Creagh set up that meeting with Lancaster.

Makes me sad that we cant seem to come together on 1 vision and what's best for the club.. I guess everyone has their opinion.. but if the real issue is not Hasler.. but more the giving up control part.. I think the board are getting that wrong.. they have run the club into the ground with their 'control', hand it over to someone who's done it many times before imo.. and get out of the way.

Seems like Ryles will be the most likely choice that they would all compromise on.. but if he says no, god knows what Plan B will be..

Also sounding less and less like the vision of the richo/brown/coach is going to be getting announced on tuesday..
The sponsor didn’t say anything about the Ricoh/Brown/Coach scenario

Hope it’s happening as we need Football people running the football department

slippery5

Juniors
Payton/Fitzgibbon - still early days but promising, I'll give you that.
Ciraldo - Dogs with a rookie coach currently third last just above us on the ladder despite mega financal backing and unequalled hype. Distinct lack of media noise about them at the moment!
Burton is not a 5/8 & they have no 7. That is what is holding them back, until B. Hunt arrives!!!!!!

RedVDave

First Grade
JOB VACANCY

Dreamed of a job you're under qualified for yet handsomely paid?

Always wanted to hang out with your mates yet pretend to be at work?

Enjoy modelling sportswear Infront of thousands of people?

Does the offer of free gym membership,airline travel and hotel accommodation appeal to you?

Consider yourself the life of the party and crave everybody laughing at you?

Well look no further at St George Illawarra football club we want you!!

Come along to training today and we'll teach you how to underachieve in your chosen field,get paid for every time you throw a football to someone wearing different colours.

But wait there's more!!

# Learn how to give soft hugs

# Bend over and hold your ankles in our free yoga classes.

# Holiday in September while the working class people are still struggling to afford memberships to watch you model your sportswear

# Be sponsored by big name companies who give you free cool stuff

All this and more could be yours today!!

Apply today in writing to the club

Please don't send resumes as we won't read them. We don't care who you are and what you've done in the past we just ask that you commit yourself to Excel at being ordinary in a group environment!!

Apply Today!!

Latest posts