What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Old Timer

Coach
Yes OT but the fact that Flanno is signalling he needs half a dozen decent players does not put a good light on Hooks money ball / recruitment approach and the squad he has assembled over 3 years and I will throw Haran in the mix with that stuff up
I agree with you re recruitment but still stick to my view re Sullivan

Just a little while ago to question Sullivan’s worth was to be met with all sorts of ridicule but there seems to be a complete softening of conviction as to Sullivan’s ability and viability.

denis preston

First Grade

Just a little while ago to question Sullivan’s worth was to be met with all sorts of ridicule but there seems to be a complete softening of conviction as to Sullivan’s ability and viability.
I still think Sullivan is worth keeping for all the reasons stated before but I also understand that he may be on a high salary based on this potential that with his injuries is not becoming viable. Can’t help but think perhaps there might be some attitude & team commitment issues as well . seeing if the grass is greener may pull him back in line if he stays.

Dragons4me

Juniors
I still think Sullivan is worth keeping for all the reasons stated before but I also understand that he may be on a high salary based on this potential that with his injuries is not becoming viable. Can’t help but think perhaps there might be some attitude & team commitment issues as well . seeing if the grass is greener may pull him back in line if he stays.
Perhaps. Simply speaking but I love how excited Bud gets in a game when we score. To me he comes across as someone who genuinely loves playing for the Dragons. I'd be shattered if we lose him.

thebigredv

First Grade
As a club we need to stop paying for potential and start paying for proof.

it’s cost us too much already.

since77

Juniors

Just like all of the raw talent in our squad over the last 3 seasons, Sullivan was screwed over and completely mismanaged by Griffin. Let’s remember this guy was pretty much ready for first grade back in McGregors final season and has been a victim of Griffin’s old school tactics for 3 years. No wonder he asked for a release last year, his path to first grade was clearly blocked by a bone headed coach with literally no idea how to coach a modern NRL side. Three completely wasted years for both us and him.
With all of that said, the damage is done and maybe it’s just best to start again. At this point I just want to watch a football team that competes hard and wins more often than it loses. Actually liking the players that pull on the jersey is a bit of a luxury these days anyway…..

BLM01

First Grade

yeh but I will speak for me now. I still believe he is young and still has time but I have mentioned I had concerns re amount of injutries and had not seen consistent excitmernt yet when thrown in the spotlight.
It just happens sometimes to many young up and comers who dont quite make NRL but look like world beaters in lower grades. They are miles apart
I honestly think there is time to decide on him one way or another and I dont think Hook did anything wrong about easing him in.
Re attitude.. well only the inner sanctum can comment on that

BLM01

First Grade
Just like all of the raw talent in our squad over the last 3 seasons, Sullivan was screwed over and completely mismanaged by Griffin. Let’s remember this guy was pretty much ready for first grade back in McGregors final season and has been a victim of Griffin’s old school tactics for 3 years. No wonder he asked for a release last year, his path to first grade was clearly blocked by a bone headed coach with literally no idea how to coach a modern NRL side. Three completely wasted years for both us and him.
With all of that said, the damage is done and maybe it’s just best to start again. At this point I just want to watch a football team that competes hard and wins more often than it loses. Actually liking the players that pull on the jersey is a bit of a luxury these days anyway…..
Agree to disagree. Most have shown even now post Hook they are not quite there for NRL consistently but are still young and time is on their side. It appears they still need to come to grips with NRL mentally especially Sloan.
It is easy to sit there and judge them on potential and say they need to be given a go. There are still signs that just maybe they may not have it despite what the commentators see after one brilliant moment.
Not saying Hook handled everything the right way? either but others in the football department should take blame also. But Hook has more nous to see NRL level talent and judge players more than this forum and a lot of commentators
And so does Flanno...so now I have to put my trust in him

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Surely though if Flanagan is the coach most on here are claiming he is, he can then around players that have been poorly coached in the past? That at least seems to be the prevailing opinion of most posts I've been reading.

Now all of a sudden when Flanagan wants to move on one of everyone's favourite and highly rated juniors we're saying that the damage is done and can't be fixed by the new coach?

Can't have it both ways, either the new coach is good enough to get the players to aim up or we admit that the roster has been completely inadequate for a long time and the pathways system is producing inadequacy also.

I'm of the latter view and believe that the new coach will have a massive job on his hands, very unlikely he will be a long term coach at this club IMO as the job at hand will take years to fix and our supporter base doesn't want to give a coach that sort of time.

BLM01

First Grade
There are worlds apart from our squad
Unfortunately that is so obvious and to think they had the spoon a couple of years ago.
I hope we get the same leadership and football whatever department and money to turn it around like they have
Id still go for Richardson as GM of football with Flanagan

BLM01

First Grade
Surely though if Flanagan is the coach most on here are claiming he is, he can then around players that have been poorly coached in the past? That at least seems to be the prevailing opinion of most posts I've been reading.

Now all of a sudden when Flanagan wants to move on one of everyone's favourite and highly rated juniors we're saying that the damage is done and can't be fixed by the new coach?

Can't have it both ways, either the new coach is good enough to get the players to aim up or we admit that the roster has been completely inadequate for a long time and the pathways system is producing inadequacy also.

I'm of the latter view and believe that the new coach will have a massive job on his hands, very unlikely he will be a long term coach at this club IMO as the job at hand will take years to fix and our supporter base doesn't want to give a coach that sort of time.
Not very player can be turned around. Bellamy, Robinson and Bennett have let many go to other clubs
Because you dont like Flanagan and thought Hook was harshly treated your bias is showing through ready to pounce when he has the job and things dont always go to plan
The new coach is good enough. He has won a premiership recently but needs the cattle and people around him that he wants not what he inherits
You are right he does have a massive job inherited from others. But I do see him as a long tern coach if he gets that right support

Dragon David

First Grade
Anyways I look at the Broncos side tonight. Boy they are powerful and play with speed across the park in defence and attack although Souths were teriible.
Geez i wish we can get a side and players that play like them.
Now they are stealing the Mundine / Blacklock backflips.
I've become quite a fan of the current crop of Broncos players. It wasn't that much time ago that the Broncos were a pile of you know what. The club got all the right men in place at the top to do plenty of tidying up and that of course led to bringing in the youth and blending it with a few older experienced guys to have the team it is today. They were patient with Kevvie and renewed his contract and the proof is now in the pudding that they will produce good quality and exciting games for their fans as well as those wanting to see good attacking and defence games like myself.

The Warriors is the other team I see as having some excitement in how they are playing under Webster and the brilliance of Johnson.

The backflips of Mundine and Blacklock were great to see and that was the time when the Dragons were as exciting as the Broncos.

St Tangles

Bench
I'm sort of torn with this news.

On one hand we have been ordinary for years and need to start looking at a different style of player, on the other hand I still think Bud has something to offer.

The coach gets judged on results so he has to have control of the roster.

Sometimes we bang on about our juniors but of the ones we have let go the only ones I would like back are Robson and Garrick.

The rest are just squad fillers in amongst better players.

Old Timer

Coach
Yes OT but the fact that Flanno is signalling he needs half a dozen decent players does not put a good light on Hooks money ball / recruitment approach and the squad he has assembled over 3 years and I

Stop speaking sense it will only bring you criticism

since77

Juniors
Agree to disagree. Most have shown even now post Hook they are not quite there for NRL consistently but are still young and time is on their side. It appears they still need to come to grips with NRL mentally especially Sloan.
It is easy to sit there and judge them on potential and say they need to be given a go. There are still signs that just maybe they may not have it despite what the commentators see after one brilliant moment.
Not saying Hook handled everything the right way? either but others in the football department should take blame also. But Hook has more nous to see NRL level talent and judge players more than this forum and a lot of commentators
And so does Flanno...so now I have to put my trust in him
I think we actually agree more than we disagree. I can see the point in drawing a line through Sullivan now even though I think his development has been criminally stifled by Griffin. He’s a huge case of “what if?”. And as for Sloan I think he’s another who might benefit from a change of scenery. Potential is there, but his body and mentality hasn’t got there yet.
I’m 100% on board with whatever changes Flanagan wants to make for 2024. And after 12 years of mismanagement unfortunately drastic actions are needed. There’ll be some collateral damage and some like Sullivan will probably be the victims of that. If things turn around I think we’ll all live with that. I just want to enjoy watching the team play again. It’s been a heck of a long time since any of us have been able to do that.

TheRev

Coach
Flanagan isn't even in the door yet to see the day to day training of the players.. their attitudes.. leadership.. and even if he was, he's still not going to make all the right decisions... nobody can.. everything is a gut instinct, nothing is certain.. its a % chance of backing a winner, and even if you back the right guy.. you roll the dice on injuries.. one bad injury might negate all your good work.

I think what im trying to say is if anyone is going to make more good decisions than bad.. its Flanagan.. so there is no point us (sitting in our loungerooms) getting upset about players coming or going that we have no insight into what's actually happening behind the scenes.. it was different under Haran/Hook/Mary.. I had no trust in their competence.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
D

Difference is Flanno hasn’t dicked him around out of pure distaste for the bloke. He’s told him you’re free to go more on the basis of injuries and his overinflated salary would be my guess. He hasn’t left him lingering with more questions than answers. He’s told him straight, you’re free to go.
Yes- and another reason may be that Sullivan just isn't the answer at half back after Hunt leaves. He's a running half- not an organising half. The Tigers were having the same problem with Luke Brooks. Organising halves-Cherry Evans, Hynes and Reynolds are the best three going around-certainly better than Hunt imo- are worth their weight in gold- and every team wants one.
Amone is another running half and unless there is an English half I've not heard of, it seems to me that the Dragons are now going to definitely make Hunt see out his contract while they go to the next gen of juniors coming thru as his successor.

Latest posts