What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

TheRev

Coach
Flanno is inheriting a far worse situation than Hook did.. Saints have been sitting on their hands for years.. and as a result we now have 0 pulling power (bar Flannos name).. FAR less than the tigers and dogs.. just look at the names theyve pulled over the last 2 years.. both of them pulling a series of rep players.

Flanno will have to make some tough calls to stitch together a passable squad next year.. we arent going to like all the decisions.. and some are short-term out of necessity... and he's not going to get them all right either.. then throw in injuries/luck.. the point is maybe in 12 months time.. he is able to pull a couple of better players due to a better performance from the club.. its gonna take time, and fans are going to be losing their shit.. but it rly doesnt matter.. just get behind whoever wears the red v, and lets talk in 9 or 12 months about whether we are improving as a side.

Mojo

Bench
Flanno is inheriting a far worse situation than Hook did.. Saints have been sitting on their hands for years.. and as a result we now have 0 pulling power (bar Flannos name).. FAR less than the tigers and dogs.. just look at the names theyve pulled over the last 2 years.. both of them pulling a series of rep players.

Flanno will have to make some tough calls to stitch together a passable squad next year.. we arent going to like all the decisions.. and some are short-term out of necessity... and he's not going to get them all right either.. then throw in injuries/luck.. the point is maybe in 12 months time.. he is able to pull a couple of better players due to a better performance from the club.. its gonna take time, and fans are going to be losing their shit.. but it rly doesnt matter.. just get behind whoever wears the red v, and lets talk in 9 or 12 months about whether we are improving as a side.
All true but it's interesting isn't it? Both the Dogs and the Tigers are currently below us on the table. I think both teams have shown that you can't just 'buy' a footy team. There has always been that intangible thing about rugby league. We refer to culture, team spirit, whatever it is ... it's the factor that makes a team winners. Look at the turn around for the Broncos. They're not packed with 'stars' - a good mix of experienced, consistent quality players and a lot of young talent - and a coach who eats, sleeps and breathes Broncos. I'd bet London to a brick, he's got everyone at the club to believe they're on an mission - a singular conviction - and nothing that distracts from it will be tolerated. Panthers have done the same for the past five years or so. We don't need to buy the best of the best. We just need some more quality, reliable, experienced players to buy into Flanno's determined vision. The team will surprise itself by quickly becoming winners again. Quicker than we would imagine, because the Red V is a huge multiplying factor.

TruSaint

Referee
All true but it's interesting isn't it? Both the Dogs and the Tigers are currently below us on the table. I think both teams have shown that you can't just 'buy' a footy team. There has always been that intangible thing about rugby league. We refer to culture, team spirit, whatever it is ... it's the factor that makes a team winners. Look at the turn around for the Broncos. They're not packed with 'stars' - a good mix of experienced, consistent quality players and a lot of young talent - and a coach who eats, sleeps and breathes Broncos. I'd bet London to a brick, he's got everyone at the club to believe they're on an mission - a singular conviction - and nothing that distracts from it will be tolerated. Panthers have done the same for the past five years or so. We don't need to buy the best of the best. We just need some more quality, reliable, experienced players to buy into Flanno's determined vision. The team will surprise itself by quickly becoming winners again. Quicker than we would imagine, because the Red V is a huge multiplying factor.

This.
A great team will always beat a team of great "players".

RedV Resurgence

Juniors

What I'm expecting from Flanno from next year is that all players will be on notice that they need to perform or they are out. The performance of everyone specially current players will dramatically improve.

Any new players will also be expected to perform.

A case in point is Mat F. - I am sure he can play a lot better than he has this year. In defence, he is always out of place. Both he an Rav like to charge in and try and shutdown the inside runners. This is a problem with the current defensive structure which is not working. I think Flanno will just say you do not have a license to run in, Stay on your winger and let the inside defenders come arcoss.

Look at what the Warriors have done with largely the same team as last year.

TheRev

Coach
What I'm expecting from Flanno from next year is that all players will be on notice that they need to perform or they are out. The performance of everyone specially current players will dramatically improve.
Hopefully ur right, I think Sloan is a perfect example, he's going to get 1 full preseason, but I dont think the lack of effort on bombs and tackling is going to cut it anymore.. im not sure what has happened under Mary & Hook, but its like every week Dufty and eventually Sloan seemed immune to minimum standards... there is no way this stuff didnt come in video review every week.

BLM01

First Grade
Great post but i disagree on one point. They are packed with stars at full strength although losing 2 gooduns next year in Flegler and Farnsworth. But still have Haas, Cobbo, Carrigan, Walsh, Staggs, Reynolds that is more than all the other teams

BLM01

First Grade

Where Hook let himself down was not putting a broom through the joint when he came in and tried to work with what he had which attracted little interest from outisde. Yes the cap was a mess but it would of even been better had he done what Flanno is doing... We will see.

possm

Coach

i agree that Saints have been sitting on their hands for a very long time However, I also believe that there is a bright future ahead in 2024 for the following reasons:
1. With Hunt's departure, the divide in the playing group will be no more.
2. Flanno will immediately address the main problem, the attitude and fitness of the players.
3. Although not the ideal solution, Kyle Flannagan will bring some stability and experience to the halves.
4. Flanno is going to recruit some decent forwards.
5. Flanno will address Sloan's skill shortages in defence and confidence under the high ball.

If the above can be address with positive results, I'd day we will make the top 8 in 2024.

Phantom V

Juniors

Good post Rev. Flanno’s definitely got a huge task ahead of him that’s for sure. I’m sure he’s identified our strengths and weaknesses and is implementing a plan to recruit some decent players. That’s what I keep telling myself anyway :)
It wouldn’t surprise me if Deanno brings a player or 2 from the Cows at some stage as he seems to have a good rapport with the group. Between the 2 of them and our new training staff I’m optimistic that we can vastly improve on what we dished out this year.

BlackDuckSaint

Juniors
Great post but i disagree on one point. They are packed with stars at full strength although losing 2 gooduns next year in Flegler and Farnsworth. But still have Haas, Cobbo, Carrigan, Walsh, Staggs, Reynolds that is more than all the other teams
You weirdly proved his point a bit more. Stars they are... But all bar one, including the two that are leaving, are Bronco's juniors.

hewi

Bench

Latest posts