What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Coffs dragon

Bench
In fact at times The Warren Carr Orchestra or the Warren Carr Trio.
Mum & Dad used to go dancing a lot at the club, so they loved WC in his various forms.
The middle brother & I used to frequent the snooker a room a fair bit where the Mangelsdorf brothers (Les & Herb) ruled the roost.
There was an ex pommie boxer (huge bloke with a thick accent) who worked for the club who used to organise who was playing on what table and when and we referred to him as "the nod" because when it was your turn he would just look over at you and nod his head, a lovely bloke and a real character once you got to know him
Back then the club was not only powerful as a footy club but in entertainment, travel, affiliated and fully sponsored sports clubs (bowls, camera, cricket, chess, darts, squash, table tennis etc etc) FMD it even had its own gym, sauna, masseurs and resident barber.
Well done Doust Jnr & Co you need to be congratulated in respect of how far you managed to scuttle the place.
OT I love the old walk down memory lane and the club was a palace back then. I fondly remember one night in the 70's drinking with mates, whilst the Saints players were upstairs having a function. Later in the night the players came downstairs and mingled with the members in all the various bars. There was a continuing PA announcement for some 60 minutes: "Paging Ted Goodwin and Mrs Tatana (Henry's wife) please come to reception"
The drunk players near us were all laughing and saying Teddys up to his usual tricks. Lord Ted at his best!

Brutalitops

Juniors
If Oates is an option, I want him. He is a calibre of player who rarely hits the market. A player like that, you find room for in your team. Ben Hunt kicking to Oates wing was a dangerous combination for Brisbane, one I'm sure they would continue for us.

And the guy is only 23 as well.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Going down on a water bottle, that's novel OKB.
Mrs OT and I had our engagement party at a French restaurant in Bay St and purchased all the grog from Kelly's.
Typical of our lot the grog bill was always bigger than the food.

My father used to do the books there at Kelly’s, my brother and l use to stack beer there after school.

Kelly’s was one of the biggest sellers of grog in the St George region. At one stage, they were looking to purchase shopping centre building, Fleming’s with the underground car park........ that was no rumour!

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
OT I love the old walk down memory lane and the club was a palace back then. I fondly remember one night in the 70's drinking with mates, whilst the Saints players were upstairs having a function. Later in the night the players came downstairs and mingled with the members in all the various bars. There was a continuing PA announcement for some 60 minutes: "Paging Ted Goodwin and Mrs Tatana (Henry's wife) please come to reception"
The drunk players near us were all laughing and saying Teddys up to his usual tricks. Lord Ted at his best!

Lord Ted scored many on the hallowed turf......not all for the Dragons.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I spent many a time in the Allawah Hotel drinking icy schooners of Reschs in the 80's & 90's and could virtually roll home..... Sometimes we'd kick on over the railway at Hurstville to :
The meat market at Stallions Pub or Grab a Granny at Hill Street Tavern on a Wednesday night. Gotta love the old days before social media!!

Mid eighties, Saturday morning hookups with my brother, father and uncle and friends at the Allawah pub...... just a couple of drinks but very enjoyable.
First home when married, was a unit in Cronulla st, Allawah.

If my memory serves me correct, we used to sit in a curved room with glass windows all round.

Sorry, l’ll refrain from anymore old stories.

Back to the rumours.....

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Oates needs to accept that he is an elite winger. Wayne Bennett, one of the greatest coaches the game has ever seen, essentially told him to go f**k himself when he first started this second-rower dream.

He's hurting his first grade chances if he pursues a future in the second-row, I hope he realises this. He's a walk up start to any side in the NRL on the wing, he'll be lucky to crack a bench spot in most sides as a forward.

He's also asking clubs he's negotiating with for a blind trust. He's played barely any second-row, and asking $700k for a chance at a position he's clearly not as good at is a biiiiiiig risk.

Old Timer

Coach
You probably would would have had one in the Tattler on the cnr of George and Market Streets. A few of the Dragons and Souths players (Raper, Langlands Bob McCarthy) used to drop in there in the late 60's before I left Sydney A good place to have a beer. Reg Hayes a former middleweight boxing champ was the "bar useful" there so you could have a beer in peace without any brawls.
Love that term "bar useful" which is a position Henry Tatana had at the Peakhurst Inn at 1 time.
Tattler had a bar fronting almost right onto George St and the pub not very deep set correct?
If not mistaken had a few beers there on a few occasions on my way down to Wynyard station and the plethora of bars there 747, Jungle Bar etc and of course there was always Harpoon Harry's.
Red rattler to Riverwood and the Legion Club or Domino Hotel )Mike Cleary had it at 1 time).

draco

Juniors
Love that term "bar useful" which is a position Henry Tatana had at the Peakhurst Inn at 1 time.
Tattler had a bar fronting almost right onto George St and the pub not very deep set correct?
If not mistaken had a few beers there on a few occasions on my way down to Wynyard station and the plethora of bars there 747, Jungle Bar etc and of course there was always Harpoon Harry's.
Red rattler to Riverwood and the Legion Club or Domino Hotel )Mike Cleary had it at 1 time).

Ha ha. Old Timer you just recalled some fun memories for me. Back in 1971 I was just a fresh faced 18 year old country lad working for a couple of weeks in Railway House at Wynyard and needless to say I was severely corrupted by the Jungle Bar and also a downstairs eatery somewhere in George St (I can't recall the name) that used to serve up fantastic lunch specials. The drawcard, besides the food, lovely waitresses all wearing stockings, black leather hot pants and silky red tops. Oh and my favourite meal was the "beef stroganoff"... Hope you don't mind but thought I would share.

As the song goes "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end"....

Frank Facer

First Grade
Ha ha. Old Timer you just recalled some fun memories for me. Back in 1971 I was just a fresh faced 18 year old country lad working for a couple of weeks in Railway House at Wynyard and needless to say I was severely corrupted by the Jungle Bar and also a downstairs eatery somewhere in George St (I can't recall the name) that used to serve up fantastic lunch specials. The drawcard, besides the food, lovely waitresses all wearing stockings, black leather hot pants and silky red tops. Oh and my favourite meal was the "beef stroganoff"... Hope you don't mind but thought I would share.

As the song goes "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end"....
Those were the day my friend, we thought they'd never end, was another one of the songs we used to sing at Saints games with the hardcore Saints fans in the 80's.

merahputih

Juniors
O.T. Public bar on the street & lounge upstairs.The saloon bar was down the passage at the back. Not there any more of course.

Bench
A long time ago I worked in Bathurst Street. Once a year a golf tournament was arranged. But with a difference. Players were split in two man teams and they would visit 18 pubs starting at the Lismore hotel and finishing at the Edinburgh Castle in Bathurst Street.
At the start a coin was tossed and the winner had first choice of the beverage and the other person had to drink the same. So it went and last man standing was the winner.
One year the winner was a big drinker and someone bet him he couldn’t drink a beer for every year of his birthday.
That poor kid lost the bet and the winner drank 40 beers between 10am and 10pm.
He was a legend.

Old Timer

Coach
A long time ago I worked in Bathurst Street. Once a year a golf tournament was arranged. But with a difference. Players were split in two man teams and they would visit 18 pubs starting at the Lismore hotel and finishing at the Edinburgh Castle in Bathurst Street.
At the start a coin was tossed and the winner had first choice of the beverage and the other person had to drink the same. So it went and last man standing was the winner.
One year the winner was a big drinker and someone bet him he couldn’t drink a beer for every year of his birthday.
That poor kid lost the bet and the winner drank 40 beers between 10am and 10pm.
He was a legend.
Did you ever catch a train to the country in the old days?
Used to be a treat when the train pulled in for a stop (take on water or whatever) and you could run over and have a quick schooner at the bar on the platform.
I remember one year being at Glen Innes freezing cold (I still shiver thinking about it) so a Stone's Green Ginger wine with a beer chaser was the order of the day.
So many things that were great pleasures (f**k Nick Greiner) long gone just a shit getting old but at least for the time being we still have our memories.
Speaking of which anyone remember when The Taj put Courage on tap? Sad times then & I remember Dad saying the BOD were useless f**kers back then.
Funny they could do with a bit of courage on tap right now.

Warabrook saint

Juniors
In fact at times The Warren Carr Orchestra or the Warren Carr Trio.
Mum & Dad used to go dancing a lot at the club, so they loved WC in his various forms.
The middle brother & I used to frequent the snooker a room a fair bit where the Mangelsdorf brothers (Les & Herb) ruled the roost.
There was an ex pommie boxer (huge bloke with a thick accent) who worked for the club who used to organise who was playing on what table and when and we referred to him as "the nod" because when it was your turn he would just look over at you and nod his head, a lovely bloke and a real character once you got to know him
Back then the club was not only powerful as a footy club but in entertainment, travel, affiliated and fully sponsored sports clubs (bowls, camera, cricket, chess, darts, squash, table tennis etc etc) FMD it even had its own gym, sauna, masseurs and resident barber.
Well done Doust Jnr & Co you need to be congratulated in respect of how far you managed to scuttle the place.
Whatever happened to all the wealth the club prduced....someone must be livin well.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
I think over the years, the monies were not reinvested and the club was bled dry.
They didn’t move with the times and sadly, got left behind.

Also OKB
They made a lot of money from the pokies in the early year.
Now with pokies tax there is less around.
Down at the club yesterday night after training and the only people in the place are Asian about 85%.
Not much happening.
We need to some how engage them as well.
Not sure how.

Bench
Did you ever catch a train to the country in the old days?
Used to be a treat when the train pulled in for a stop (take on water or whatever) and you could run over and have a quick schooner at the bar on the platform.
I remember one year being at Glen Innes freezing cold (I still shiver thinking about it) so a Stone's Green Ginger wine with a beer chaser was the order of the day.
So many things that were great pleasures (f**k Nick Greiner) long gone just a shit getting old but at least for the time being we still have our memories.
Speaking of which anyone remember when The Taj put Courage on tap? Sad times then & I remember Dad saying the BOD were useless f**kers back then.
Funny they could do with a bit of courage on tap right now.
I had friends who travelled down from the central coast in the old red rattlers and every Friday they would have a bbq on the train. I don’t know how they did that but it was a portable small unit.
The red rattlers were eventually phased out but on the last trip people were taking souvenirs from the carriages.
People who travelled from the gong and Gosford had some funny ways of getting through their trips. A definite counter culture