What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Parko1310

Juniors
Also mentioned Sele recruitment and if any former Dragons players want to resign, the door is open. The bloke can talk, but that was refreshing.
Thought it was interesting how he specifically mentioned Nick Meaney as an example of Storm players who go to the next level. Might have just been an honest example, but could be more behind it too considering Meaney is likely to be pushed out

TheRev

First Grade
I've never understood why there is media surprise around Meaney's success, the guy has been killing us since the jr days.. his goalkicking, fullback, wing.. just a gun from the start.. and maybe hes not papaunhausen, but he certainly doesnt meet that usual criterior of a "reserve grader" turned good by the storm.

Parko1310

Juniors
I've never understood why there is media surprise around Meaney's success, the guy has been killing us since the jr days.. his goalkicking, fullback, wing.. just a gun from the start.. and maybe hes not papaunhausen, but he certainly doesnt meet that usual criterior of a "reserve grader" turned good by the storm.
Agreed, I wanted Meaney when he was at the Dogs. I laughed when the peanut that hosts the Dragons Den Podcast said he was struggling there. absolutely NFI.

BLM01

First Grade
Well I guess we can all look forward to some news (I'll take anything at the moment - good or bad). Definitely waiting for Flanagan to finish or curtail his commitments to the Sea Eagles and the Nov. 1 deadline for announcements of any kind.
"potentially some good news in a couple of weeks.".
That first word in that phrase worries me..not convincing

TheRev

First Grade
As much as I want a marquee and Edwards would be a game changer, but a 2025 fullback is kind of the worst case scenario.. we would struggle through 2024 with Sloan as our only option, and if he actually comes good finally.. we wasted our 3yrs developing.

The idea of Sloan on the wing came up again on the RedVPodcast, previously I wasnt a fan.. and im still not, but if his frame does keep growing.... and he can carry the ball without being driven into touch.. then maybe someone like Edwards could work as a purchase.

personally I think Dylan is exactly what we need
1. Dylan’s no superstar but boy does he work hard to become one
2. On and off the field a great example helps develop a good culture
3. His a winner
4. When he was dropped he fought bloody hard to cement himself as penriths number 1 and I think everyone can agree on here there nursery is absolutely brilliant at developing players and identifying talent

since77

Juniors
Agreed, I wanted Meaney when he was at the Dogs. I laughed when the peanut that hosts the Dragons Den Podcast said he was struggling there. absolutely NFI.
Meaney wasn’t great at the Dogs or at Newcastle. Would have been just as under utilised and suffocated at the Dragons. He looks much better now because he’s in a better system and is part of a much better team. Coming to the Dragons would have been career suicide for him.

justadragon

Bench
Dylan edwards set to test his market value(hello Dylan please insert the amount you want on the line and sign underneath) and with bud gone I’d expect the 3 amigos will all leave bud tigers Amone to follow and Sloan not fg. Not sure his going anywhere… Should all fit in at the tigers
This will be another , Manu, Haas , Tino , Fafita and whoever else you like resigning with their respective club on an upgraded contract. If by some unknown mystery the player decides to leave, he would still have to come to the Dragons, Houston we have a problem !!!! Juniors, Juniors and Juniors bite the bullet for a couple of years and invest heavily in these guys, we have the nursery to make this work way better than it is. Look at penrith, winning all grades and consistently being up the top in every grade. Why do they have their juniors coming in to the NRL and they look like champions. So we want to go and get a marquee player on millions because thats the only way he will be at the Dragons. Well excuse me for saying so, we already have one of those and I certainly dont want another one, NEVER !!!

Parko1310

Juniors
Meaney wasn’t great at the Dogs or at Newcastle. Would have been just as under utilised and suffocated at the Dragons. He looks much better now because he’s in a better system and is part of a much better team. Coming to the Dragons would have been career suicide for him.
I disagree. Whilst maybe not "great", Meaney always stood out to me as a very capable, talented player at the Dogs. he was good, and better than anyone gave him credit for. His time at both Newcastle and Canterbury were in terrible teams. But that doesn't change the fact that he himself was always a very good player. Just as an example, take Jacob Liddle. Do you think other fans other than our own rate him as a pretty good player? No, because they aren't watching closely and he's not in a good side. Yet, we can see he's a very good dummy-half. You can make the same argument you make about Meaney with Liddle. Put him in a good system and he'll shine much more. That's the same with any player ever to play the game.

What I'm saying is that he doesn't just "look" much better than before. He was always a very good player, playing in awful teams. it's hard to stand out as a good player when your teams are getting battered every week. The Dogs completely undervalued him too which didn't help. As you say, given an opportunity in a good system that has actually recognised his ability has shown what he can do. Mind you, Melbourne aren't that good this year, yet he's standing out.
Main point is, he was in two of the worst teams in the last 10-15 years of rugby league, and as soon as he gets out of that environment into a decent team, he's a stand out. Very good player.

Dragon David

First Grade

I'd take Meaney. He is more solid than Sloan and I think a better option than Lomax.

The Amigos (5 of them) were thought of as being players that would be killing it for us but one has left, one is facing an uncertain outcome in court, a fullback who can be great but needs plenty of bulking up and strength and twin brothers just not threatening and one of those already told to look elsewhere so the other could follow.

Flanagan has to make a decision on these remaining guys. We need a competent fullback, a tall, fast and strong winger. The centres of Lomax and Suli are OK at the moment. If Amone loses in court then we would need a 5/8th like a Keary type to partner Hunt. Hooker I am hoping we get Ipape from the UK and Liddle to share that role. A solid defensive edge forward like Beau Scott and a couple of heavyweight, powerful front rowers to dictate the middle.

Filling the positions from 1-13 plus a good bench with the right guys will get us into the top 8 for starters.

Last edited:

Illusion

Bench
I'd take Meaney. He is more solid than Sloan and I think a better option than Lomax.

The Amigos (5 of them) were thought of as being players that would be killing it for us but one has left, one is facing an uncertain outcome in court, a fullback who can be great but needs plenty of bulking up and strength and twin brothers just not threatening and one of those already told to look elsewhere so the other could follow.

Flanagan has to make a decision on these remaining guys. We need a competent fullback, a tall, fast and strong winger. The centres of Lomax and Suli are OK at the moment. If Amone loses in court then we would need a 5/8th like a Keary type to partner Hunt. Hooker I am hoping we get Ipape from the UK and Liddle to share that role. A solid defensive edge forward like Beau Scott and a couple of heavyweight, powerful front rowers to dictate the middle.

Filling the positions from 1-13 plus a good bench with the right guys will get us into the top 8 for starters.
At the moment Noone is coming , him and Rangi still stuck at the Airport ....... Jokes aside this is how its been for zonks now ........

denis preston

First Grade
I disagree. Whilst maybe not "great", Meaney always stood out to me as a very capable, talented player at the Dogs. he was good, and better than anyone gave him credit for. His time at both Newcastle and Canterbury were in terrible teams. But that doesn't change the fact that he himself was always a very good player. Just as an example, take Jacob Liddle. Do you think other fans other than our own rate him as a pretty good player? No, because they aren't watching closely and he's not in a good side. Yet, we can see he's a very good dummy-half. You can make the same argument you make about Meaney with Liddle. Put him in a good system and he'll shine much more. That's the same with any player ever to play the game.

What I'm saying is that he doesn't just "look" much better than before. He was always a very good player, playing in awful teams. it's hard to stand out as a good player when your teams are getting battered every week. The Dogs completely undervalued him too which didn't help. As you say, given an opportunity in a good system that has actually recognised his ability has shown what he can do. Mind you, Melbourne aren't that good this year, yet he's standing out.
Main point is, he was in two of the worst teams in the last 10-15 years of rugby league, and as soon as he gets out of that environment into a decent team, he's a stand out. Very good player.
Good points. For us Ford & Garrick left shot coached sides and their careers blossomed.