What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Dragon David

First Grade
A lot of water to still run under the bridge(s) and while it would be good to actually see in writing some decent signings for 2024 and moreso for 2025 soon, there still are a few weeks left before Christmas during which Flanno could have a couple on our books who he said the club is aiming to get.

I'd like to have those signings for 2024 to happen sooner rather than later so that the new guys can get into training with the squad we have and get to know the ropes.

Anyway, keep the Rumours coming whatever they may be.

Lindsay Moss

Juniors
We
Agree on the clean out from top to bottom.

As a football club, it's been a slow burn to failure. We came second last this year.

I remember when we had at least one grade in the running for the big day. It's not going to change overnight however, Flanno is doing an outstanding job for the time he's been here.

We have been calling out for change for so long. It's here now and I hope that the standards are set for onfield success and progression for the players.
We did all call for change but change for the better but to let sulli go to bring his son in and now with the Amone situation we are very thin in halves department who is going to be the next man up.

Parko1310

Juniors
Agree on the clean out from top to bottom.

As a football club, it's been a slow burn to failure. We came second last this year.

I remember when we had at least one grade in the running for the big day. It's not going to change overnight however, Flanno is doing an outstanding job for the time he's been here.

We have been calling out for change for so long. It's here now and I hope that the standards are set for onfield success and progression for the players.
Is change really here though? I think Flanagan is a great appointment and a good coach. But having said that, he needs the pieces around him to fall into place too.

The board: Doust and Piggott still on there. That's not good. Those fossils will continue to hamstring the club.

The Gordon's: One Gordon off the board, another put on the board. Is she capable or is it purely nepotism? Is a Gordon there to purely keep the family's intentions regarding the club at heart? Probably. That family has never wanted to put things in place for the club if it meant reaching into their own pocket. Fair enough if this is just a business, but it's more than that, this is a sporting club, and running it how you would any other business is not the way.

St George: How that place is run, how hard it is to get the board members that fans actually want is a disgrace. And then after they've been elected, they can elect from their board onto the St George Illawarra board. Fans do not have a say in who these imbeciles elect on OUR CLUBS board. Craig Young is still very much there in the background meddling, let's not pretend he's got no influence over what Doust says, thinks and actions on the club board itself. Just an absolute leech. Was Flanno's top priority Dean Young as assistant too? Or was that a condition?

Ben Haran: Just leave. How does this bloke have a job? If he's such a "good bloke" maybe let him be the receptionist at the new COE when it opens.

I think there are good people in the club doing (or trying to do) good things. For example, I actually like our CEO Ryan Webb. But those good people are constantly hamstrung by, in essence, the board. They have not changed one bit from last year. I know two new board members including Creagh were brought on last year. That's some fairly recent change, but as I said Doust and Piggott are still there, who love holding this club back. Any success Flanagan manages will be despite the board, not because of them. The whole club itself has not changed as much as it may look. There are huge problems still there.

Illusion

Bench
Is change really here though? I think Flanagan is a great appointment and a good coach. But having said that, he needs the pieces around him to fall into place too.

The board: Doust and Piggott still on there. That's not good. Those fossils will continue to hamstring the club.

The Gordon's: One Gordon off the board, another put on the board. Is she capable or is it purely nepotism? Is a Gordon there to purely keep the family's intentions regarding the club at heart? Probably. That family has never wanted to put things in place for the club if it meant reaching into their own pocket. Fair enough if this is just a business, but it's more than that, this is a sporting club, and running it how you would any other business is not the way.

St George: How that place is run, how hard it is to get the board members that fans actually want is a disgrace. And then after they've been elected, they can elect from their board onto the St George Illawarra board. Fans do not have a say in who these imbeciles elect on OUR CLUBS board. Craig Young is still very much there in the background meddling, let's not pretend he's got no influence over what Doust says, thinks and actions on the club board itself. Just an absolute leech. Was Flanno's top priority Dean Young as assistant too? Or was that a condition?

Ben Haran: Just leave. How does this bloke have a job? If he's such a "good bloke" maybe let him be the receptionist at the new COE when it opens.

I think there are good people in the club doing (or trying to do) good things. For example, I actually like our CEO Ryan Webb. But those good people are constantly hamstrung by, in essence, the board. They have not changed one bit from last year. I know two new board members including Creagh were brought on last year. That's some fairly recent change, but as I said Doust and Piggott are still there, who love holding this club back. Any success Flanagan manages will be despite the board, not because of them. The whole club itself has not changed as much as it may look. There are huge problems still there.
This , Doust , Piggott , Young still there , need to go for starters , the CEO IMO is controlled by this lot ....... Just hope Flanno finds a way past all this .......

Last edited:

jak

Bench

please explain why doust and piggott would be loving holding the club back and for what purpose.

Dragon David

First Grade

Shane Flanagan has been appointed the head coach. He comes with a chequered background of sorts. Putting aside his misdemeanours, as a coach he has done pretty good with mainly the Sharks and what I have seen and experienced from his assistant coaching days, was not fantastic mainly because he assisted the likes of Mary and did a bit of recruitment work for Hook as I understand. His assistant coaching role at the Sea Eagles was so so.

A lot of expectations are being asked of him and this is even before his first trial game. The main issue is the recruitment of players and if he can be successful in getting the signatures of even a couple of decent players for 2024 in early December, that would help his profile.

Putting Flanno aside, the real problem that we have had for too long is with the people on the Board and the part owner who hasn't been seen at any games and been on our website to let us all see him cheer on the Dragons. It is obvious therefore that this part owner is not that enthusiastic about the success of the club. It doesn't affect his way of life and to me he is somebody who just couldn't care less which is a bugger. Doust and Piggott, well why in hell are they the stumbling blocks? Don't they want the club to be successful. I thought that Doust getting Bennett to the club was fantastic. Why didn't Doust go for another coach similar to Bennett rather than agree to let Steve Price take over, then Mary. It just bamboozles me.

Shane Flanagan has been appointed the head coach. He comes with a chequered background of sorts. Putting aside his misdemeanours, as a coach he has done pretty good with mainly the Sharks and what I have seen and experienced from his assistant coaching days, was not fantastic mainly because he assisted the likes of Mary and did a bit of recruitment work for Hook as I understand. His assistant coaching role at the Sea Eagles was so so.

A lot of expectations are being asked of him and this is even before his first trial game. The main issue is the recruitment of players and if he can be successful in getting the signatures of even a couple of decent players for 2024 in early December, that would help his profile.

Putting Flanno aside, the real problem that we have had for too long is with the people on the Board and the part owner who hasn't been seen at any games and been on our website to let us all see him cheer on the Dragons. It is obvious therefore that this part owner is not that enthusiastic about the success of the club. It doesn't affect his way of life and to me he is somebody who just couldn't care less which is a bugger. Doust and Piggott, well why in hell are they the stumbling blocks? Don't they want the club to be successful. I thought that Doust getting Bennett to the club was fantastic. Why didn't Doust go for another coach similar to Bennett rather than agree to let Steve Price take over, then Mary. It just bamboozles me.
If my memory serves me right Price was appointed on the recommendation from Bennett.
That was the true kick start to the never ending slide down the table.
Many seasons of continuing to go backwards ever since.
Regardless of the obstacles of our Board, appointments like Haran and co, I really believe Flanagan can slowly drag us up from the cellar, and gradually back into the top 8.

hewi

Bench
If my memory serves me right Price was appointed on the recommendation from Bennett.
Regardless of the obstacles of our Board, appointments like Haran and co, I really believe Flanagan can slowly drag us up from the cellar, and gradually back into the top 8.

Yes he was then the goose took a winning side and started fiddling with it ( swapping Hornby and Soward from left to right or vice versa), and guess what it didn’t work then Soward called him out so they pissed him off. Good one.

Dragons4me

Juniors
Yeh gotta say Herring never blew my mind. Capable at game management, kicking, tackling. There are a pair of kids, a year or so younger that impress me far more in Nick Quinn (half) and Lychan King-Togia (5/8). So if we dont nail Dearden we have a couple of goodn's waiting in the wings.
Maybe but based on recent player losses so far for 24 and beyond, these too will part ways in unexplained circumstances to us fans leaving us to try to understand and justify to ourselves WTF is happening.

since77

Juniors
That’s a shame. This bloke seemed to develop an affinity for our club very quickly. Internationally respected player and smart as well. So many ways he could’ve helped us.
To be honest recruiting James Graham was another turning point in the downward slide. Never understood the love for him when he came here. Passionate player yes but god he was way past his prime when he was brought into the squad and ever since then the pattern has been to find washed up semi retirees looking for their last big pay packet. And we’ve been dumb enough to sign them all. Graham, Latimore, Burgess, McCullough, McGuire, Woods, BMM and I’m sure there’s some other useless plodder I’ve missed.
‘And people wonder why our forward pack has been the laughing stock of the NRL for so long now.

The Word

Juniors

Exceptional post.

Dragon David

First Grade
Yes, Bennett did recommend Price, but the stupid Board should not have taken his word if they were smart enough. Bennett and Price were not even in the same league and the Board just took the easy and cheap way out.

BLM01

First Grade
To be honest recruiting James Graham was another turning point in the downward slide. Never understood the love for him when he came here. Passionate player yes but god he was way past his prime when he was brought into the squad and ever since then the pattern has been to find washed up semi retirees looking for their last big pay packet. And we’ve been dumb enough to sign them all. Graham, Latimore, Burgess, McCullough, McGuire, Woods, BMM and I’m sure there’s some other useless plodder I’ve missed.
‘And people wonder why our forward pack has been the laughing stock of the NRL for so long now.
Yes but that has nothing to do with him working with the club and developing and working with our forwards where I think we could of benefited from..not now as that ship has sailed

justadragon

Bench
It all started when Bennett wanted 5 years and we were stupid enough to only offer 3, as for recommending Price , Bennett knew what he was doing. Price has had other gigs and what have we all heard about how good he is, nothing.

RedVee_8

Juniors
There was a story about Doust going all out for Bellamy, years ago. Another I heard was it was to be a Bellamy - Cronk package.

Was there anything to those stories? Or just journalists’ dreams?

BLM01

First Grade
There was a story about Doust going all out for Bellamy, years ago. Another I heard was it was to be a Bellamy - Cronk package.

Was there anything to those stories? Or just journalists’ dreams?
Yes it was true we tried, in fact Bellamy has been approached twice. But many clubs would try for that. Yes marks for trying but maybe the offer was not good enough or we were not attractive enough as Bellamy, like Bennett would of wanted to do things his way only.
A club is judged from getting deals over the line and being sought as a place of destination.
In respect to players in recent times we set the bar too low, least that is changing but a long way to go.

Last edited:

maestro1

Bench
Yes it was true we tried, in fact Bellamy has been approached twice. But many clubs would try for that. Yes marks for trying but maybe the offer was not good enough or we were not attractive enough as Bellamy, like Bennett would of wanted to do things his way only.
A club is judged from getting deals over the line and being sought as a place of destination.
In respect to players in recent times we set the bar too low, least that is changing but a long way too go.
Basically, if they can't get deals done because they aren't skilled negotiators, then step aside and let someone who can do the job. This isn't kiddies league. We are the most famous NRL club and deserve the best negotiators working for us. We are always commenting on Uncle Nick and how he always makes it happen. We must be the same or better

Latest posts