What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

The Word

Juniors
I hope so too justa. We need to hard sell ourselves to the utmost that we can and the way to do that is by actual performances with winning results and improvement in culture and management.

Some help by Twiggy would be good but most will have to come from Flanno and the players. We show a great improvement with positive results the better our chances of getting decent players on a regular basis.
Sadly I don't think Twiggy is here to help in that capacity. He's here to showcase his renewable energy company Squadron Energy. It's a good fit I reckon. He pays us a decent wedge ($1.2M per year I think)? And we give his business national exposure. He's not a dragons fan so there's no reason why he would put his own money into third party agreements.

If at some point he decides to get involved in rugby league as an owner, then that would be a different conversation. However he's said nothing that would make me think that's on the horizon. And anyway, I don't think those people at Win and St George Leagues would have the humility to realise the club needs a single owner willing to put funding into the club at all levels, and actually sell their shareholding. So that won't happen, even though it should for the benefit of the club's future.

Dragon David

First Grade
Sadly I don't think Twiggy is here to help in that capacity. He's here to showcase his renewable energy company Squadron Energy. It's a good fit I reckon. He pays us a decent wedge ($1.2M per year I think)? And we give his business national exposure. He's not a dragons fan so there's no reason why he would put his own money into third party agreements.

If at some point he decides to get involved in rugby league as an owner, then that would be a different conversation. However he's said nothing that would make me think that's on the horizon. And anyway, I don't think those people at Win and St George Leagues would have the humility to realise the club needs a single owner willing to put funding into the club at all levels, and actually sell their shareholding. So that won't happen, even though it should for the benefit of the club's future.
I have doubts too The Word about Twiggy and that his is all about promoting his product just like St George Bank is still advertising their bank and all of the other sponsors except for maybe one or two who could have hidden agendas with their sponsorships.

If it wasn't Twiggy I'd imagine that the Dragons would have got some other dignified company to major sponsor the club in lieu of the Bank once their deal ends at the end of 2024 and these sorts of posts would not be anywhere near the amount that have been posted here and in the "Twiggys with us" thread.

If Senior Gordon has little to do with the club besides paying for his share of the ownership of the club, then I don't expect a really non follower of league, likely being the same as Mr Gordon, as Mr Forrest might be, then I see little interest from Mr Forrest other than Squadron Energy being promoted.

The Word

Juniors
I have doubts too The Word about Twiggy and that his is all about promoting his product just like St George Bank is still advertising their bank and all of the other sponsors except for maybe one or two who could have hidden agendas with their sponsorships.

If it wasn't Twiggy I'd imagine that the Dragons would have got some other dignified company to major sponsor the club in lieu of the Bank once their deal ends at the end of 2024 and these sorts of posts would not be anywhere near the amount that have been posted here and in the "Twiggys with us" thread.

If Senior Gordon has little to do with the club besides paying for his share of the ownership of the club, then I don't expect a really non follower of league, likely being the same as Mr Gordon, as Mr Forrest might be, then I see little interest from Mr Forrest other than Squadron Energy being promoted.
Yeah haven't read that thread. Tbh I'm excited to have Twiggy's company on board. I'm a fan of renewable energy generally speaking.

No chance either the Leagues club or Win will sell any time soon. So we're stuck with no serious funding for the indefinite future. Well done to Webb for getting local government funding for the training facilities, which, let's face it, neither of our so called owners would've paid for.

True_Believer

Juniors

Agreed. It's like any major sponsor for any team. They pay the club to have their company displayed on their jersey as well as any merch. It's really just a marketing ploy. I'd be surprised if Twiggy himself had anything to do with the decision at all. It was probably more likely a marketing team of this branch of his company looking for ways to "spread the word". Great to get a guaranteed X amount of $ for X amount of years, but that'll be the limit of it.

hook hook

Juniors
Agreed. It's like any major sponsor for any team. They pay the club to have their company displayed on their jersey as well as any merch. It's really just a marketing ploy. I'd be surprised if Twiggy himself had anything to do with the decision at all. It was probably more likely a marketing team of this branch of his company looking for ways to "spread the word". Great to get a guaranteed X amount of $ for X amount of years, but that'll be the limit of it.
Surely if he wants to make a lasting impression with the people of the Illawarra, he has to make a difference for them to take notice? It’s purely political as he doesn’t follow rugby league, the politician must make the target audience take notice

jak

Bench
I hope so too justa. We need to hard sell ourselves to the utmost that we can and the way to do that is by actual performances with winning results and improvement in culture and management.

Some help by Twiggy would be good but most will have to come from Flanno and the players. We show a great improvement with positive results the better our chances of getting decent players on a regular basis.
first thing we have to do is get his name on a contract.

BLM01

First Grade
I disagree in part. I am sure you are right Twiggy is not handling the nuts and bolts or paperwork but would of been part of decision or had to at least endorse it all.
The sponsor and / or club receive more from each other than just it being a marketing ploy.
Besides you would never know what goes under the table (e.g. Laundy Hotels) as anything open is put into the salary cap or what benefits a sponsor may provide.
A major sponsor would want to see and, or help a club to do well as it potentially increases their exposure.

hewi

Bench
Anyone bored and looking for a series to enjoy which in my opinion applies to the Dragons May I suggest Watch Untold: Swamp Kings . Netflix. It’s about the gators the Florida university football team .

justadragon

Bench

Whilst its true that Twiggy is not a fan of RL, there is nothing stopping him becoming one. From my readings he was fairly involved with the western force. Regardless of that as I have mentioned before Twiggy took as much of a risk in choosing us for sponsorship, our Iconic name and no doubt the districts for the Dragons would have been the main players. There wouldnt have been anything nice about the Dragons, like our professionalism, our performances our culture, plus we have one of our guys possibly going to jail. So if anything at all that may have been said behind closed doors would have been " I'm willing to take the risk but things have too improve, both on the field and off or I'm out" . And at the very least if this was the basis for the Dragons to at least start getting their act together, I will be grateful for that, regardless of whether there will be TPA's or ownership on the horizon, probably not, but its still a good kick up the arse that if you want to retain your sponsorship then start performing. There would have been plenty of other places that would of taken Twiggy's deal. imo this value adds to both sides of the fence.

Dragon David

First Grade
Whilst its true that Twiggy is not a fan of RL, there is nothing stopping him becoming one. From my readings he was fairly involved with the western force. Regardless of that as I have mentioned before Twiggy took as much of a risk in choosing us for sponsorship, our Iconic name and no doubt the districts for the Dragons would have been the main players. There wouldnt have been anything nice about the Dragons, like our professionalism, our performances our culture, plus we have one of our guys possibly going to jail. So if anything at all that may have been said behind closed doors would have been " I'm willing to take the risk but things have too improve, both on the field and off or I'm out" . And at the very least if this was the basis for the Dragons to at least start getting their act together, I will be grateful for that, regardless of whether there will be TPA's or ownership on the horizon, probably not, but its still a good kick up the arse that if you want to retain your sponsorship then start performing. There would have been plenty of other places that would of taken Twiggy's deal. imo this value adds to both sides of the fence.
Agreed. Twiggy has a product to promote and like any products that get promoted/advertised, people can choose to accept the product or not. No one thing in the world is totally liked and no one thing in the world is totally disliked. Everyone has a choice. We have Twiggy promoting renewable energy systems. Like them or not, his sponsorship by our club is needed and if he can get the club to smarten up and do the right thing on and off the field and threatening that he would pull out of the sponsorship if we don't then hopefully that will get us heading in the direction we want and that is success.

possm

Coach
I'll tell you what I expect from Flanno and you members can tell me if I'm expecting too much or if I am on the money.

1. I expect Flanno to build our brick-wall defense with the players he ends up with for season 2024.

2. I expect Flanno to insist that our players follow his instructions but to follow their instincts when in attack.

3. I expect to see our Flanno-coached players to back up the player who makes a break in attack.

4. I expect Flanno to insist on each player driving forward and looking for holes in the opposition's defense each time they run the ball.

5. Each Flanno-coached Saints player must demonstrate pride in the big red V in every game they play in 2024.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
I'll tell you what I expect from Flanno and you members can tell me if I'm expecting too much or if I am on the money.

1. I expect Flanno to build our brick-wall defense with the players he ends up with for season 2024.

2. I expect Flanno to insist that our players follow his instructions but to follow their instincts when in attack.

3. I expect to see our Flanno-coached players to back up the player who makes a break in attack.

4. I expect Flanno to insist on each player driving forward and looking for holes in the opposition's defense each time they run the ball.

5. Each Flanno-coached Saints player must demonstrate pride in the big red V in every game they play in 2024.

Sounds fair and reasonable. I'd be happy with 1 and 3 with the rest to follow in due course.

justadragon

Bench

You are on the money possum

Latest posts