What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Crush

Coach
I cannot see Lomax on the wing but definitely can see Sloan there for a couple or more times this year. It depends on whether or not Lomax is good enough at fullback and his replacement in the centres being just as good as Lomax if not better.
Flanno said he may use Sloan and Lomax swapping in and out at fullback and wing.
Not sure who'd have the 1 on their back in that equation.

Parko1310

Juniors
Flanno said he may use Sloan and Lomax swapping in and out at fullback and wing.
Not sure who'd have the 1 on their back in that equation.
Sloan will be the main fullback. Ideally, I don't think that Lomax and Sloan will swap. When/if they do swap it would be because we're losing the field position battle quite obviously and we're better off having Lomax on kick returns. If Bird is to play centre this year I don't really see how he fits into all of this either because I can't imagine Lomax will be playing on the wing for the most part. It probably leaves Bird in second grade or on the bench I would guess.

TheRev

First Grade
Bostock was tall, athletic and hit hard.. he is the one who left that has really gutted me.. he didnt even have a 1st grade spot at the Dolphins (still doesnt).... before him Schiller to the Raiders.. Saab was another.. but I hate that cat so that one was fine..

Our problem has been retaining anyone young with real promise..... I keep explaining this its basically impossible to 're-build from within'... the best kids (in that couple of years before they are first graders) will get offers from Wayne and Robbo and Bellamy.. and we cant hold them in reserve grade unless they (and their parents) genuinely see success & a promising career at our club... this is their one shot at a football career, you can't blame them at all.

carltonsouth79

First Grade
Bostock was tall, athletic and hit hard.. he is the one who left that has really gutted me.. he didnt even have a 1st grade spot at the Dolphins (still doesnt).... before him Schiller to the Raiders.. Saab was another.. but I hate that cat so that one was fine..

Our problem has been retaining anyone young with real promise..... I keep explaining this its basically impossible to 're-build from within'... the best kids (in that couple of years before they are first graders) will get offers from Wayne and Robbo and Bellamy.. and we cant hold them in reserve grade unless they (and their parents) genuinely see success & a promising career at our club... this is their one shot at a football career, you can't blame them at all.
We did retain promising players like Amone and the Feagai twins though. Is the issue retention or just the wrong retention option in too many cases?

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade

Anyone heard we have interest in Tuku ?

It appears he is only development player right now and unsigned for 2025?

Crush

Coach
Sloan will be the main fullback. Ideally, I don't think that Lomax and Sloan will swap. When/if they do swap it would be because we're losing the field position battle quite obviously and we're better off having Lomax on kick returns. If Bird is to play centre this year I don't really see how he fits into all of this either because I can't imagine Lomax will be playing on the wing for the most part. It probably leaves Bird in second grade or on the bench I would guess.
Bird won’t be in second grade.
On the bench perhaps but I don’t see him missing out on a spot in NRL.

TheRev

First Grade
We did retain promising players like Amone and the Feagai twins though. Is the issue retention or just the wrong retention option in too many cases?
We will keep some of them, but we overpaid hard on a young sullivan/amone/sullivan, those kids were on 350-550k numbers way before they were 1st grade standard.. But we had to fend off other clubs.. We also had to build guaranteed 1st grade time into Sullivan's contract.. Its not easy.. And some young players we won't be able to persuade.. Not until 1st grade gets respect again and more of our kids r hungry to prove themselves to flanno and see their future here.

The feagai's were nothing magical coming thru though.. Just solid.. There are a lot of players like that at other clubs.

qld redvee

Juniors

Anyone heard we have interest in Tuku ?

It appears he is only development player right now and unsigned for 2025?
A big unit and we should dangle a decent offer in front of him

TheRev

First Grade
I feel like it was only a few days ago we were trying to sign Manlys leftover winger.... i thought maybe there was some panic after Allans ACL injury... but maybe we have given up on signing wingers now?

Actually not sure who our NSW Cup wingers are going to be next year.. that might be what Flanno is worried about.. SFinau, MFeagai and Rumble was probably the back 3... but again losing Allan means someone from Cup has been promoted for Round 1, probably Mat Feagai.

Parko1310

Juniors

NRL 2024: Dragons, Sea Eagles stars clash in closed-door scrimmage​

94ba5bb29d60d407005bfc8aee0b810c755c4cd4.webp

Play
Mute

Loaded: 0%

Current Time 0:00
/
Duration 0:00
Fullscreen

Best and worst million-dollar NRL contracts

• By DAVID RICCIO

• NEWS CORP AUSTRALIA SPORTS NEWSROOM
  • 4:00PM JANUARY 24, 2024

Tom Trbojevic will have his first serious hit-out in seven months and prized Manly recruit Luke Brooks unveiled in his new colours in a private clash with St George-Illawarra.
The special scrimmage session to be held in 10-days will be the launch pad for some of the most anticipated players and crucial combinations from both clubs prior to the 2024 season.
The 60-minute workout will be held behind closed doors at Narrabeen on Friday, February 2 and follows on from this time last year when both clubs organised a similar hitout against each other.
The contest will also provide new-look Dragons halves Ben Hunt and Kyle Flanagan with their first-look at playing under pressure, while promising fullback Tyrell Sloan will also take part as he chases the St George-Illawarra no.1 jumper.
Manly coach Anthony Seibold and Dragons coach Shane Flanagan said the hitout would be “game simulated” and a “step up from pre-season training.”
“Flanno was the driving force behind it last year when he was here with us as an assistant and we saw some benefits, so we thought it would be a good idea to do it again,” Seibold said.
“It was played in good spirits last year with a focus on the defender, particularly the third man into the tackle looking after the attacking player.
Tom Trbojevic training with Manly Sea Eagles today. Picture supplied
“We don’t want any injuries, but we also want it to have a game-like effort.”
Brooks’ arrival into the halves alongside Daly Cherry-Evans at Manly after 11 seasons at Wests Tigers has led to many pundits predicting the Sea Eagles can return to the finals in 2024.
Seibold agreed the scrimmage session was most important for the Sea Eagles new-look spine.
“For us having a new spine, it will be a good opportunity for Brooksy, Chez (Cherry-Evans) and Turbo (Trbojevic) to do some solid work together,” Seibold said.
“Rather than run against ourselves, we feel like we’ll get something more out of running against the Dragons.
“Obviously with Kyle being in their halves and Brooksy being in our halves, they’re both new to the club, so it will be a level above running against ourselves, albeit without heavy contact.”
The contest will involve almost every major player from both clubs, highlighted by the return of a fully-fit Trbojevic, who hasn’t played NRL since tearing his pectoral muscle in State of Origin II last year.
Seibold said he was eager to run Trbojevic as opposed to wrapping the star fullback in cotton wool.
Manly recruit Luke Brooks. Picture: Jeremy Piper
Jack Bird and Kyle Flanagan. Picture: Richard Dobson
“Turbo’ is going well and he’ll be fine because again, we know the session is played in the right spirit,” Seibold said.
“He’ll be looking forward to running against some different faces as all our guys are.‘’
Flanagan said the bulk of his NRL side, including Zac Lomax, Jack Bird, Moses Suli, Jayd’n Sua, Blake Lawrie and Jacob Liddle will participate in the hit-out.
“The boys have been running plays and calls at each other all year, so to throw these plays at another NRL side, different opposition at this time of the year, it’s really beneficial for everyone,” Flanagan said.
“It’s a good opportunity for combinations in an environment that is as close to a game.
“I’ll use around 21 players and for about 50-minutes we’ll run our best 17 to 20 players.”
The NRL will also provide referees for the clash with the two clubs also planning to practice for the governing body’s newly-appointed rule change.
The NRL announced last week that the game would move to play the balls rather than penalties for failed short dropouts or kick-offs, for both the ball going out on the full or not travelling ten metres.

redVinme

Bench
If TPJ is allowed to come back to the NRL this year the system is even more.of a joke than we all thought and the Bulldogs need to be investigated for forcing him out.

It's only rumour now but you just know he will be playing for a Qld side this season unless the NRL steps in Bare min needs to be made to sit out this year until his Bulldogs contract would have been up. Also needs to have a min amount agreed by the NRL of what he can be offered so they don't get him for Reggie's rate.

Scum scum scum

Dragon David

First Grade

NRL 2024: Dragons, Sea Eagles stars clash in closed-door scrimmage​

94ba5bb29d60d407005bfc8aee0b810c755c4cd4.webp

Play
Mute

Loaded: 0%

Current Time 0:00
/
Duration 0:00
Fullscreen

Best and worst million-dollar NRL contracts

• By DAVID RICCIO

• NEWS CORP AUSTRALIA SPORTS NEWSROOM
  • 4:00PM JANUARY 24, 2024

Tom Trbojevic will have his first serious hit-out in seven months and prized Manly recruit Luke Brooks unveiled in his new colours in a private clash with St George-Illawarra.
The special scrimmage session to be held in 10-days will be the launch pad for some of the most anticipated players and crucial combinations from both clubs prior to the 2024 season.
The 60-minute workout will be held behind closed doors at Narrabeen on Friday, February 2 and follows on from this time last year when both clubs organised a similar hitout against each other.
The contest will also provide new-look Dragons halves Ben Hunt and Kyle Flanagan with their first-look at playing under pressure, while promising fullback Tyrell Sloan will also take part as he chases the St George-Illawarra no.1 jumper.
Manly coach Anthony Seibold and Dragons coach Shane Flanagan said the hitout would be “game simulated” and a “step up from pre-season training.”
“Flanno was the driving force behind it last year when he was here with us as an assistant and we saw some benefits, so we thought it would be a good idea to do it again,” Seibold said.
“It was played in good spirits last year with a focus on the defender, particularly the third man into the tackle looking after the attacking player.
“We don’t want any injuries, but we also want it to have a game-like effort.”
Brooks’ arrival into the halves alongside Daly Cherry-Evans at Manly after 11 seasons at Wests Tigers has led to many pundits predicting the Sea Eagles can return to the finals in 2024.
Seibold agreed the scrimmage session was most important for the Sea Eagles new-look spine.
“For us having a new spine, it will be a good opportunity for Brooksy, Chez (Cherry-Evans) and Turbo (Trbojevic) to do some solid work together,” Seibold said.
“Rather than run against ourselves, we feel like we’ll get something more out of running against the Dragons.
“Obviously with Kyle being in their halves and Brooksy being in our halves, they’re both new to the club, so it will be a level above running against ourselves, albeit without heavy contact.”
The contest will involve almost every major player from both clubs, highlighted by the return of a fully-fit Trbojevic, who hasn’t played NRL since tearing his pectoral muscle in State of Origin II last year.
Seibold said he was eager to run Trbojevic as opposed to wrapping the star fullback in cotton wool.
“Turbo’ is going well and he’ll be fine because again, we know the session is played in the right spirit,” Seibold said.
“He’ll be looking forward to running against some different faces as all our guys are.‘’
Flanagan said the bulk of his NRL side, including Zac Lomax, Jack Bird, Moses Suli, Jayd’n Sua, Blake Lawrie and Jacob Liddle will participate in the hit-out.
“The boys have been running plays and calls at each other all year, so to throw these plays at another NRL side, different opposition at this time of the year, it’s really beneficial for everyone,” Flanagan said.
“It’s a good opportunity for combinations in an environment that is as close to a game.
“I’ll use around 21 players and for about 50-minutes we’ll run our best 17 to 20 players.”
The NRL will also provide referees for the clash with the two clubs also planning to practice for the governing body’s newly-appointed rule change.
The NRL announced last week that the game would move to play the balls rather than penalties for failed short dropouts or kick-offs, for both the ball going out on the full or not travelling ten metres.
This will be a good test for all players and they will trial that short kick off rule as well which will be good. The only downside is if there are any injuries to players in both teams but, anything like suspensions can happen in any game anyway be it trials or competition so what's the problem?

Latest posts