What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

You want to know, i'm sure the family does as well, how about we let it run its course and the family can get some sort of closure and see what gets adopted by the NRL from the outcome, we don't need to speculate for the next few weeks on who did what or didn't do..
With sincere respect:

Whatever findings are made and regardless of recommendations, I don’t think the family will ever truly get any closure.

Ive read some things today that really concern me about the events leading up to his death.

But I’ll otherwise defer to your request.

We don’t need to discuss too much in the game and related, but here we are!

Surely not
Drums are beating. An offer from Salford in the mix too.

Cogger arrives at the knights, impressing everyone at training and they have Gamble.

Everyone denying everything.

Flanno comes with raw prawns, but recruitment can often be a dark art, nature of the beast.

I hope he signs, get rid of Hunt and grab that Tago from Penrith or some more sub marquee disgruntled dogs players.

Last edited:

blacksafake

First Grade
Drums are beating. An offer from Salford in the mix too.

Cogger arrives at the knights, impressing everyone at training and they have Gamble.

Everyone denying everything.

Flanno comes with raw prawns, but recruitment can often be a dark art, nature of the beast.

I hope he signs, get rid of Hunt and grab that Tago from Penrith or some more sub marquee disgruntled dogs players.
Hopefully not.
Had more clubs than a golf bag.
Tago definitely.

Hopefully not.
Had more clubs than a golf bag.
Tago definitely.
I think Angus Crichton could make a big impact for you depending on price.

Just that kind of player who rolls up his sleeves. Sub marquee now, but he leaves it all out of the field and that’s the flanno mindset.

That he’s been battling a few Demons shouldn’t hold him back one iota. A lot of players struggle with things but we don’t hear about it.

TheRev

First Grade
The Hastings thing has been denied straight away.. though the wording was "that's not right" which could refer to the nature of the story not being 100% right.. dont really know why he would come here without a 1st grade position though.

Noting that Hastings was our junior back in the day.. pretty hot little fullback iirc, but that seems like 6 lifetimes ago.

Gardenia

Juniors
well he did play for us years ago BUT recd a much better offer to go to the chooks .. , Maybe hes offside with the knights players now ???? But arent we pretty well full on top 30 spots ??
Only 1 left. Few possibilities are in the mix so let's see what Shane lands or if he upgrades someone. Agree it can be a dark art.

TheRev

First Grade
Yep 1 Top 30 spot (can confirm this, as I am a douche who felt it was necessary to make a 2024 squad spreadsheet), but are we talking to Tuipulotu, Hastings or someone like Woolford? Maybe he wants all 3 positions eventually, but is open to whoever comes up first given how close the season is.

Not out of the question we could offload a Turner, BMM or a Feagai early in the year though.. so maybe spots will open up.

Victoire

Juniors
Noting that Hastings was our junior back in the day.. pretty hot little fullback iirc, but that seems like 6 lifetimes ago.
Pretty sure he was in the same Toyota Cup side as Jack Bird and AFB for us. I agree that he would be a huge upgrade in our halves. But this would be the 4th? NRL club now that have offloaded him mid-contract? Roosters, Eagles, Tigers... Knights. There was talk that he rubbed people the wrong way, and this record doesn't exactly bust that myth

Last edited:

blacksafake

First Grade
Pretty sure he was in the same Toyota Cup side as Jack Bird and AFB for us. I agree that he would be a huge upgrade in our halves. But this would be the 4th? NRL club now that have offloaded him mid-contract? Roosters, Eagles, Tigers... Knights. There was talk that he rubbed people the wrong way, and this record doesn't exactly bust that myth
I’m not liking the supposed baggage that comes with previous clubs willing to offload him.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I rate Hastings, he would be a great pickup. He solves alot of the issues and a very good organising half. Better than young Kyle. At least there will be some more depth in the halves.

kit66

Bench
Hastings is a really good footaballer, has some phenomenal skills but I think he has a bit of a problem with team work, sharing and doing as he's told. One of those mindsets where he takes all the responsibility for the team on his own shoulders and that's reflected in his stats that show he wants the ball and wants it all the time, not just to control who gets it next, or to employ his running game but he also likes to do all the kicking. In his games with Ponga or Gamble as his halves partner their "receipts" are so lopsided, Jackson handling 60-80 times while his 5/8's will see the ball 30-40 times if they're lucky. Personally I want the ball in Ponga's hands as much as possible, the guy's a freak.
In his games with Luke Brooks and other halves at the Tigers whether it was him at 7 and Brooks at 6 or vice versa (which happened a few times) it would still be Hastings getting heaps more ball, he just demands it e.g Round 9 2022 Brooks at 5/8 39 receipts to halfback Hastings 94, Round 7 it was 60 to 102 respectively and even in Round 18 with Hasting playing Lock for 80 minutes his receipts were an amazing 66 which was more than 20 more than either of his halves that day Brooks and Doueihi.

I've always liked Hastings, he's obviously talented and a great individual player but I don't think he'd fit into our team as a partner in the halves to Hunt whether at 7 or 6 because Hunt is as big a control freak as Hastings, no way could they work together. There's the alternative of putting Hunt to 9 but we all know that's not going to happen.

Having said that, a spine of 1. Sloan, 6. Hastings, 7. Kyle, 9. Hunt could be lethal.

Last edited:

Parko1310

Juniors
Hastings is a really good footaballer, has some phenomenal skills but I think he has a bit of a problem with team work, sharing and doing as he's told. One of those mindsets where he takes all the responsibility for the team on his own shoulders and that's reflected in his stats that show he wants the ball and wants it all the time, not just to control who gets it next, or to employ his running game but he also likes to do all the kicking. In his games with Ponga or Gamble as his halves partner their "receipts" are so lopsided, Jackson handling 60-80 times while his 5/8's will see the ball 30-40 times if they're lucky. Personally I want the ball in Ponga's hands as much as possible, the guy's a freak.
In his games with Luke Brooks and other halves at the Tigers whether it was him at 7 and Brooks at 6 or vice versa (which happened a few times) it would still be Hastings getting heaps more ball, he just demands it e.g Round 9 2022 Brooks at 5/8 39 receipts to halfback Hastings 94, Round 7 it was 60 to 102 respectively and even in Round 18 with Hasting playing Lock for 80 minutes his receipts were an amazing 66 which was more than 20 more than either of his halves that day Brooks and Doueihi.

I've always liked Hastings, he's obviously talented and a great individual player but I don't think he'd fit into our team as a partner in the halves to Hunt whether at 7 or 6 because Hunt is as big a control freak as Hastings, no way could they work together. There's the alternative of putting Hunt to 9 but we all know that's not going to happen.
I think it could work. Hastings is left-side dominant, and Hunt likes to be on the right more than the left. However, Hunt does also like playing both sides, he's just right-side dominant. Hastings sort of stations himself on the left. The reason I think that could work is because it would essentially be the same game plan as having a Hunt/Kyle halves combo, just with a massive upgrade on quality of player. As in Hastings at first receiver with Hunt standing two wide of the ruck. I think we will see a lot of that with Kyle in the halves this year anyway.

I think if you get Hastings to stick to the left corridor of the field, whilst Hunt plays both sides, it opens up the opportunity for Hunt to be first-receiver on the right, and second receiver on the left/in the middle given he can play both sides. Takes a heap of organisational pressure off Hunt as well. Hastings' combination with Ponga on the left was fantastic in 2023. I don't think he's got a problem getting the ball in the hands of the stars of the team. Ponga simply wasn't a great 6, but when shifted to fullback, Hastings got him enough ball to win a dally m in basically half a season. His combination with Sloan could be frightening if he gets him the ball in more space.

If Kyle's at hooker too, it's really down to him to select which way to go/which half to select passing to off the ruck on any given play. Kyle will do what's best for the team. Coach's son, he'll listen to the instructions he's given, so if Hastings being extremely dominant is not what Flanagan wants, Kyle will simply get the ball to Ben as per his dad's instruction.

kit66

Bench
I think it could work. Hastings is left-side dominant, and Hunt likes to be on the right more than the left. However, Hunt does also like playing both sides, he's just right-side dominant. Hastings sort of stations himself on the left. The reason I think that could work is because it would essentially be the same game plan as having a Hunt/Kyle halves combo, just with a massive upgrade on quality of player. As in Hastings at first receiver with Hunt standing two wide of the ruck. I think we will see a lot of that with Kyle in the halves this year anyway.

I think if you get Hastings to stick to the left corridor of the field, whilst Hunt plays both sides, it opens up the opportunity for Hunt to be first-receiver on the right, and second receiver on the left/in the middle given he can play both sides. Takes a heap of organisational pressure off Hunt as well. Hastings' combination with Ponga on the left was fantastic in 2023. I don't think he's got a problem getting the ball in the hands of the stars of the team. Ponga simply wasn't a great 6, but when shifted to fullback, Hastings got him enough ball to win a dally m in basically half a season. His combination with Sloan could be frightening if he gets him the ball in more space.

If Kyle's at hooker too, it's really down to him to select which way to go/which half to select passing to off the ruck on any given play. Kyle will do what's best for the team. Coach's son, he'll listen to the instructions he's given, so if Hastings being extremely dominant is not what Flanagan wants, Kyle will simply get the ball to Ben as per his dad's instruction.

That's a nice summation and Hastings would be a good addition but I fear the dynamic between two dominant halves could cause chaos rather than cohesion. But not unthinkable the way you lay it out, if it did work it would be awesome to watch. I was looking forward to Hunt being served well and supported by Kyle but I was thinking conservatively, safety first.

denis preston

First Grade
That's a nice summation and Hastings would be a good addition but I fear the dynamic between two dominant halves could cause chaos rather than cohesion. But not unthinkable the way you lay it out, if it did work it would be awesome to watch. I was looking forward to Hunt being served well and supported by Kyle but I was thinking conservatively, safety first.
Would Flanno see Hastings as a threat to his son’s pathway ?

He's probably more aware of Albert's pathway ambitions for little Deano.

We have to do something about our lack of Hooker options or we're in trouble.
I’m not up to speed, but from a distance, I honestly thought Deano had some merit as a Strike forward. He could kick in play was my main recollection and was a bonus threat.

So dadlink or not, I quite liked his game.

Latest posts