What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

thebigredv

First Grade
As hard as I try, and I really do try, I struggle to maintain any passion for NRL for the very reason you have just explained. I still remain hopeful I will get my mojo back, having played and followed the greatest game of all my entire life.
I have quiet quit rugby league. I still have a vested interest in the Dragons but even they have managed to screw themselves up no end and have been almost unwatchable in years gone by. You actually watch because it's a habit. A mind numbing habit. This club failure is compounded by the corporatisation of the game, and the uneven running of clubs and salary caps etc which we are among the worst at.

The game is not the same. Hard to see it going back to be a fabulous competition with unique characters, elite skill level, diversity and club rivalries. Its just a big shiny product making men in suits money. If I am honest though, if we had a more competitive team it would go a long way to making it more palatable and enjoyable so the fact that we look stuck in the mire really is the icing on the cake for me as a fan.

But it seems the public are happy with the 'product'. V'landys won't change a thing about the essence of 'rugaby league'. For all the innovation he has shown, some of it I am ok with, he has no respect for the history of the game.

Dragon David

First Grade
As hard as I try, and I really do try, I struggle to maintain any passion for NRL for the very reason you have just explained. I still remain hopeful I will get my mojo back, having played and followed the greatest game of all my entire life.
Interest is starting to wane for me too Belta. Went to the game on Saturday and it was great that it was 6 all at half time and I was hopeful that, given how we were playing in general in the first half, the 2nd half would see us score some tries - but wasn't to be and it was a bit of a let down.

There were the other trial games being played on the weekend and I would usually watch them but there just wasn't that interest and it will take us winning games that will bring back that interest - I hope. Another bad season and maybe that will be it for me.

Belta

Juniors
Interest is starting to wane for me too Belta. Went to the game on Saturday and it was great that it was 6 all at half time and I was hopeful that, given how we were playing in general in the first half, the 2nd half would see us score some tries - but wasn't to be and it was a bit of a let down.

There were the other trial games being played on the weekend and I would usually watch them but there just wasn't that interest and it will take us winning games that will bring back that interest - I hope. Another bad season and maybe that will its

DD, I don’t think I’m alone in saying it’s ingrained in the DNA of many of us, despite the pain we remain somewhat faithful, we give up but are never able to completely let go, cos when we do, something is missing in our lives. We come back to regain the love of the game, but as ‘thebigredv’ says; “The game is not the same.” Let’s all hang in there for when the tide changes it will be so joyful

Dragon David

First Grade
DD, I don’t think I’m alone in saying it’s ingrained in the DNA of many of us, despite the pain we remain somewhat faithful, we give up but are never able to completely let go, cos when we do, something is missing in our lives. We come back to regain the love of the game, but as ‘thebigredv’ says; “The game is not the same.” Let’s all hang in there for when the tide changes it will be so joyful
Yes, thanks for the positivity Belta. As the saying goes never give up until the fat lady sings and I hope I never hear her.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
I remain certain the Flanno, if given time, can overhaul the Dragons from top to bottom and return the club to being at least a Top 8 club every year. But, as the old tv ad said "it won't happen overnight, but it will happen". I see it taking 4 or 5 years of steady progress, which is not what most of the fans want to hear.
Just to show that I probably have no idea, I need to confess that, at the start, I thought Hook was going to be a good appointment!

kit66

Bench
Yes, thanks for the positivity Belta. As the saying goes never give up until the fat lady sings and I hope I never hear her.

I love a mixed metaphor DD, and that's a beauty.

It's Never Give Up, Never Surrender ! - (you could compare the Dragons to the actors / crew from Galaxy Quest, a bunch of pretenders but maybe Flanno is Mathesar come to show us we're not pretenders after all. All us bums here on the Dragons LU forum are the know-all nerdy guys - the only one's who "knew it all along" whatever that may be.

or

It Ain't Over Til The Fat Lady Sings - true but lately, like the last 12 years or so, I feel more like it's Groundhog Day and the fat lady is Phil's (Bill Murray's) alarm clock, singing every August and then we do it all again but unlike Phil, we learn nothing.

possm

Coach
Re Luciano, I’m not too fussed either way. He’s not worth his asking price and if the Raiders pick him up good luck to them. He’s a good impact player on his day but I think we’ve already got a great pick up in Eisenheuth with money in the bank and RFM just might surprise us yet.
Right now we have a good pair of edge forwards with some bright young juniors coming through as our depth. So, there is no great deal missing out on Leilua.

From the Charity Shield game the other night, it is evident that we have some problems with our spine. In my opinion:

Hunt should be moved to hooker or let go.
Kyle should be our 14.
We need to find a pair of first-grade quality halves.
We need to promote Rumble to our NRL fullback position.
We should move De Belin into the prop rotation until we recruit a marquee prop. RFM to lock.

The defense looks good, now for the attack!

I don't want to sound like a Conspiracy Theorist but.......
Do any of you have any insight into the relationship between Win Corporation and the Murdoch Media empire ?
I know they have an uneasy business relationship and share content (?) but Win would have to be one of Murdoch's biggest domestic competitors in television and radio and Murdoch would not be doing anything to help out that competitor. Theoretically they could in fact use their market power and influence to stifle any expansion or overt success. Two things that stem from that idea are 1) the fact that Win have a 25% stake in the Dragons (correct me if that has changed or I'm completely mistaken) and 2) Murdoch's Fox exert a lot of influence over the NRL and their associates - e.g. other media groups, Clubs (they hold the purse strings of some), player manages (would be easy to "influence") etc. Basically what I'm saying, a very successful and powerful Dragons team/club would be a boon for Win in subscriptions, viewing audiences, advertising etc and Murdoch has the power to influence that should they wish to.
Not saying this is happening but it's food for thought. Clubs refusing to release players to us but happy to do so for other teams, players not wanting to come here, our best juniors being easily poached, player managers using us as pawns to attract better offers for their charges and in the process embarrass us etc, makes you wonder.
There is no conspiracy - just a decade or more of poor decisions from our board and an antiquated business model, the combined effect of which has made the Red V brand stink like a bucket of prawns in the sun.

dungay dragon

Juniors
Worth noting that Luciano Leilua has not been named anywhere for the Cowboys trial this week

Dan Russell is on our extended bench which might put rumours of his departure to rest
Leiluas now in a pickle............
Told the Cows he wanted out ...they tentatively agreed
How do you go back to them , and say sorry, stuffed up , im back.......
Thought hed waltz right into the Dragons with all his pay and expectations met
Hasnt happened
Had the Raiders as an alternative but they also to appear to have stalled on the over inflated seeking wage.
Still feel we will nab him if his asking price drops substantially to around the 700 mark

Dragon David

First Grade
Leiluas now in a pickle............
Told the Cows he wanted out ...they tentatively agreed
How do you go back to them , and say sorry, stuffed up , im back.......
Thought hed waltz right into the Dragons with all his pay and expectations met
Hasnt happened
Had the Raiders as an alternative but they also to appear to have stalled on the over inflated seeking wage.
Still feel we will nab him if his asking price drops substantially to around the 700 mark
It goes to show that you can't have your pickle and eat it too especially when it is soured by greed.

Rick And Morty GIF by Adult Swim
I'm Pickle Luuuuuuuce, motherf***ers!!!

St Tangles

Bench
My main issue is it will increase other players expectations in either resigning with us or coming in.
700k to 750k would of been it for me but this is where we are as a club.