What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Phantom V

Juniors
I’ve been critical of Hunt and his game management for a while now but I can understand why we still have him at our club for the time being. I’m sure if there were a number of decent halves to choose from then Flanno may have gone in a different direction but this simply is not the case.

Does he take a punt on a second tier half and spend money on some decent middles? Again, not much to choose from. The player market more than anything is dictating our position in terms of new signings and we just have to be patient until the right players become available.

I’m hoping some of our younger players can step up this weekend against the Panthers and give Flanno something to think about in the coming weeks. GO THE DRAGONS !

The talk of letting Hunt just leave is ludicrous. People can pretend he's not all they want, but he's our best player. He's also the best half at the club. That doesn't make half his best position, but it's the most important position on the field and he is the best at it at the Dragons. Are we all just going to pretend we didn't lose to a Broncos team a couple seasons ago when they had 12 players out, and we had one: Ben Hunt. We lost to a genuine reserve grade team at full strength minus Hunt. The alternatives people are throwing up like Kyle to halfback.. sorry but are we serious? Anyone who genuinely thinks Kyle at halfback would be anything but an absolute disaster is blinded by their hatred of Hunt. Kyle's a reserve grader.. that's just the reality. Would I like to see Hunt at hooker? Yeah i would, his kicking game out of dummy half is way better than in general play and I completely acknowledge he can't organise a team. But the alternatives.. Kyle and Marchske in the halves.. in week to week NRL. My god that would be shambolic, just think about that for one second. No one thinking rationally could possibly actually think we'd be better off with that pairing. We are two good signings in the halves away from even being able to think about Hunt to hooker, or Hunt to leave - whatever gets you going. And with a massive shortage of good halves, it's just not going to happen, especially not right away. Say you sign a good out and out halfback who can control a game. Then, they play the halfback role, but we're still better off having Hunt in the halves (playing more of a 6 role) than we are having Kyle there. Even just signing that one half is going to be hard enough. Only if you did that and then signed another good half (a 6), would it actually be a viable option to move Hunt to hooker or to move him on. Hatred of the bloke just blinds people, the alternative of not having him in the halves/at the club is scary
Hate is a little strong, but no one is pretending Hunt is not what most fans want. Its real, regardless of whether he is our best player. For the money we are paying, you would expect that he is the best player, let alone half, at the club.

He has ensured half is his spot and his alone. He even struggles to allow halves partner any substantial involvement. He’s showed no interest in taking a successor under his wing.

So long as he remains, we are HUNT-strung.

I’m certainly not forgetting the loss mentioned to Broncos team a couple seasons ago but the emphasis there ‘is a couple seasons ago’ under a coaching ethos of ‘give it to Ben”, of course we’ll fall apart when one player, the entire game plan, isn’t on the field.

Kyle Flanagan is as underestimated as you overestimate Hunt but, like any recent 5/8, is hampered by Hunt. I also don’t think anyone promoting ‘we ditch Hunt’ is seriously proposing that a ‘Kyle and Marchske’ pairing are the future.

Hunt has had opportunity in the halves, playing more of a 6 role, but he can’t relinquish any control to Kyle, and he NOT moving to Hooker. Every game he proves he can’t make any concessions with current roster let alone should we recruit ‘a good out and out halfback who can control a game’.

Hunt is the half who can’t game manage, won’t change position for the good of the team, can’t kick well, and as Captain, can’t lead. But what a running half – dumb, isn’t it?

You are right about a shortage of good halves. You are right about another halves pairing not going to happen right away, but no substantial improvement will ever have a chance till Hunt is gone.

Hanging onto Hunt because he’s our best individual half is accepting team mediocrity and waiving a white flag till the end of his contract.

justadragon

Bench
The talk of letting Hunt just leave is ludicrous. People can pretend he's not all they want, but he's our best player. He's also the best half at the club. That doesn't make half his best position, but it's the most important position on the field and he is the best at it at the Dragons. Are we all just going to pretend we didn't lose to a Broncos team a couple seasons ago when they had 12 players out, and we had one: Ben Hunt. We lost to a genuine reserve grade team at full strength minus Hunt. The alternatives people are throwing up like Kyle to halfback.. sorry but are we serious? Anyone who genuinely thinks Kyle at halfback would be anything but an absolute disaster is blinded by their hatred of Hunt. Kyle's a reserve grader.. that's just the reality. Would I like to see Hunt at hooker? Yeah i would, his kicking game out of dummy half is way better than in general play and I completely acknowledge he can't organise a team. But the alternatives.. Kyle and Marchske in the halves.. in week to week NRL. My god that would be shambolic, just think about that for one second. No one thinking rationally could possibly actually think we'd be better off with that pairing. We are two good signings in the halves away from even being able to think about Hunt to hooker, or Hunt to leave - whatever gets you going. And with a massive shortage of good halves, it's just not going to happen, especially not right away. Say you sign a good out and out halfback who can control a game. Then, they play the halfback role, but we're still better off having Hunt in the halves (playing more of a 6 role) than we are having Kyle there. Even just signing that one half is going to be hard enough. Only if you did that and then signed another good half (a 6), would it actually be a viable option to move Hunt to hooker or to move him on. Hatred of the bloke just blinds people, the alternative of not having him in the halves/at the club is scary
You could have Joey as the other half and Hunt would still over ride him, he stifles other halves, plus cant game manage, what else do we need to know. You saw what Moses did yesterday, when was the last time you saw Hunt put in a game like that, especially after a long layoff. I dont think KF belongs in the halves either, so we have a really poor combination now anyway. As I said previously get Illias for a couple of years and lets see what we have from our juniors that are performing. Hunt is not the answer for us and he was never the answer.

TruSaint

Referee
Hate is a little strong, but no one is pretending Hunt is not what most fans want. Its real, regardless of whether he is our best player. For the money we are paying, you would expect that he is the best player, let alone half, at the club.

He has ensured half is his spot and his alone. He even struggles to allow halves partner any substantial involvement. He’s showed no interest in taking a successor under his wing.

I’m certainly not forgetting the loss mentioned to Broncos team a couple seasons ago but the emphasis there ‘is a couple seasons ago’ under a coaching ethos of ‘give it to Ben”, of course we’ll fall apart when one player, the entire game plan, isn’t on the field.

Kyle Flanagan is as underestimated as you overestimate Hunt but, like any recent 5/8, is hampered by Hunt. I also don’t think anyone promoting ‘we ditch Hunt’ is seriously proposing that a ‘Kyle and Marchske’ pairing are the future.

Hunt has had opportunity in the halves, playing more of a 6 role, but he can’t relinquish any control to Kyle, and he NOT moving to Hooker. Every game he proves he can’t make any concessions with current roster let alone should we recruit ‘a good out and out halfback who can control a game’.

Hunt is the half who can’t game manage, won’t change position for the good of the team, can’t kick well, and as Captain, can’t lead. But what a running half – dumb, isn’t it?

You are right about a shortage of good halves. You are right about another halves pairing not going to happen right away, but no substantial improvement will ever have a chance till Hunt is gone.

Hanging onto Hunt because he’s our best individual half is accepting team mediocrity and waiving a white flag till the end of his contract.

Well said mate.

Reddragon

Bench
We should do all possible to sign O'Sullivan. So, O'Salaven for Hunt.

Wingers and Centers from your reserve grade and junior ranks.

Forwards to let go are:
Lawrie
De Belin
F Molo
M Molo
Eisenhuth
BMM
RFM
Buy two new top-grade props and promote from reserve grade and juion ranks.
The thread complaining about him at halfback would make the Hunt messages look like an appreciation thread.

Parko1310

Juniors

I'm not even disagreeing with the negative points being made about Hunt, but people seem to think if we just let him go and keep the rest of the current squad we'd be better off. This is not the case. People are not giving real solutions. I have seen people suggest the Kyle/Marchske halves pairing, and its just ludicrous. Kyle is hugely overestimated by this fanbase. He's not good, I don't understand this thought that he is. He's a reserve grader. He's admirable at times, I don't deny that, and he tries hard and puts a lot into each game. But he isn't actually providing us with much at all. Its easy to lay the boot into Hunt and act as if this is his fault. Reality is, Kyle just isn't very good. Wanting Kyle in the team is accepting mediocrity if anything in my opinion. There are not elite halves on the market, and so, my point is mainly that it is in our best interest to keep Hunt because how do people think we perform week to week in the NRL without him? I can assure that we'd be way worse off. Then what comes next? A wooden spoon? Now its even harder to attract players than it already was for us. The reality is keeping Hunt in this team is clearly in the best interst of the Dragons right now because it gives us the chance to win more games than if we didn't have him, then leading to a better chance of recruiting decent players externally.

justadragon

Bench
I'm not even disagreeing with the negative points being made about Hunt, but people seem to think if we just let him go and keep the rest of the current squad we'd be better off. This is not the case. People are not giving real solutions. I have seen people suggest the Kyle/Marchske halves pairing, and its just ludicrous. Kyle is hugely overestimated by this fanbase. He's not good, I don't understand this thought that he is. He's a reserve grader. He's admirable at times, I don't deny that, and he tries hard and puts a lot into each game. But he isn't actually providing us with much at all. Its easy to lay the boot into Hunt and act as if this is his fault. Reality is, Kyle just isn't very good. Wanting Kyle in the team is accepting mediocrity if anything in my opinion. There are not elite halves on the market, and so, my point is mainly that it is in our best interest to keep Hunt because how do people think we perform week to week in the NRL without him? I can assure that we'd be way worse off. Then what comes next? A wooden spoon? Now its even harder to attract players than it already was for us. The reality is keeping Hunt in this team is clearly in the best interst of the Dragons right now because it gives us the chance to win more games than if we didn't have him, then leading to a better chance of recruiting decent players externally.
If we finished 2nd Last with Hunt there last season Parko, is it really that big a difference not having him there, you and I both know he has cost us plenty, in ability, attitude and grief !!!

justadragon

Bench
So tell us your big move to replace Hunt with ??
I've already made mention of it in a couple of posts, I would get Illias from Souths for a couple of years , we have some very good juniors coming through, I would rather that. And you need to tell me what having Hunt there has done for the Dragons, if you can come up with a rationalisation of over $6mil I'd be mighty interested.

Parko1310

Juniors
I've already made mention of it in a couple of posts, I would get Illias from Souths for a couple of years , we have some very good juniors coming through, I would rather that. And you need to tell me what having Hunt there has done for the Dragons, if you can come up with a rationalisation of over $6mil I'd be mighty interested.
Sorry mate, but i I just don't see that as viable. Illias is one of, if not the worst, half in the comp. He is terrible, just terrible. We'd be a lot more frustrated with him than Hunt, in my opinion.

The only possible way I'd be considering getting rid of Hunt is if we ended up with Cleary, Reynolds,DCE or Moses. This obviously isn't going to happen. The only way I'd consider moving Hunt to hooker for 2025 that isn't completely unrealistic (but is still just a fantasy) is if we got two halves that look something like Pezet (from Melbourne) and Fogarty (from Raiders), and even this would not be a strong enough pairing for me to consider moving Hunt on completely (I'd definitely consider playing him at hooker in this situation though).

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
all the above doesnt really matter does it?

We are in a bind re playmakers for the future.

Unless a Nicho Hynes pops out mature age and becomes a halfback at an elite level from nowhere.

Canberra recently decided to go long and develop elite juniors from other clubs.............pay overs and pay early

not much left !

We can agree to disagree on KF - I think as a game managing half you might be surprised. look at his stats for Roosters 2020.

I do tend to agree it's difficult to turf Hunt without a plan but we've done poorly with Hunt over the past few seasons

He's not QLD's SOO half for a reason and it's only his ego, being in the team, that dictate he will play anywhere to be in the QLD team.
But not for us!
I swear, if he handed the game management to KF and purely focussed on his running game either side of the field, we'd be a much improved outfit that we could build on.

But he just won't do it!

He's a chequebook half/captain who doesn't bleed Red and White

justadragon

Bench
Sorry mate, but i I just don't see that as viable. Illias is one of, if not the worst, half in the comp. He is terrible, just terrible. We'd be a lot more frustrated with him than Hunt, in my opinion.

The only possible way I'd be considering getting rid of Hunt is if we ended up with Cleary, Reynolds,DCE or Moses. This obviously isn't going to happen. The only way I'd consider moving Hunt to hooker for 2025 that isn't completely unrealistic (but is still just a fantasy) is if we got two halves that look something like Pezet (from Melbourne) and Fogarty (from Raiders), and even this would not be a strong enough pairing for me to consider moving Hunt on completely (I'd definitely consider playing him at hooker in this situation though).
I do see your point Parko, but you just cant ignore what Hunt has done to this club except milk it for all its worth. Illias may not be the best half but I'm not saying he is our long term future, I'm looking at our juniors. I do remember Souths towelling us up with Illias in the squad.

TruSaint

Referee
I do see your point Parko, but you just cant ignore what Hunt has done to this club except milk it for all its worth. Illias may not be the best half but I'm not saying he is our long term future, I'm looking at our juniors. I do remember Souths towelling us up with Illias in the squad.

The choice is simple. Do we want to continue with a formula that is Hunt at halfback, that by HIS own words, doesn't want to be here, just because there are no Cleary's or DCE's available ?

Ask yourself if someone like Bellamy would "force" a key player to stay. Hunt unlike other Captains, has shown nothing but disdain for our Club. You and I don't know where the next 7 will come from, but we know full well as long as Benny is on good coin at our Club, that path is blocked.

I dislike Tallis, but atleast when he fooked us over, he stayed out of the game for a year. The badge I admire is much greater than one player. Let us finish 14th as opposed to say 10th. Means SFA to me.

Dragon David

First Grade
all the above doesnt really matter does it?

We are in a bind re playmakers for the future.

Unless a Nicho Hynes pops out mature age and becomes a halfback at an elite level from nowhere.

Canberra recently decided to go long and develop elite juniors from other clubs.............pay overs and pay early

not much left !
I really think that we should test the Super League market for a specialist halfback of the skill and cheekiness of Tommy Bishop. I would love to see a match winning half who can run at pace with the ball nearly all game and of course set up his outside men. We get a couple of bigger and more powerful props and a smart half, we can become great. Remember Slippery Morris, small and diminutive but had the speed to excite us all. We need a guy like him - throw in good defence as well of course to cap it off.

Not many left here of this type of half I have mused over. Mitch Moses was missed terribly by the Eels with his broken foot but now that he is back he is running the team and look much, much better. That is the type of guy we need.

So tell us your big move to replace Hunt with ??
I know you didn’t direct this at me but I have had a go at those calling for Sloan to be dropped for not offering an alternate.

Recruitment is hard enough especially for Dragons and, despite a healthy war chest we have multiple recruitment needs. Centre, Half, 14 come 9 & Book ends.

It is critical we secure the services of Peter O'Sullivan first and foremost, then we have some true recruitment skin in the game

For my mind, when it comes to a Hunt succession plan, we are looking about it the wrong way. We should focus on a big-bodied, running 5/8 to work outside of KF at 7, in the mould of a young Jack Wighton.

My preferred choice is Blaize Talagi assuming the lure of playing halves is as strong as the lure of fullback.

Then we don’t extend Hunt, Blaze plays centre or fullback 2025 (I prefer centre as I’m a Sloan fan) then come 2026 KF at 7, Blaize 6 and one of our promising juniors at centre.

Why focus on another half (7) ? KF is wasted at 6 - he is a solid game managing 7

Then we may still have the $$ for a book end or two and a 14 for 2025 and our juniors should be able to fill the wing spots.

So, if we can't get Blaize?
The truth is – who the f$%k am I when it comes to NRL recruitment?

So I return to my earlier statement – “It is critical we secure the services of Peter O'Sullivan”

Last edited:

rasaint

Juniors
A good adage is nothing is as good or bad as it seems. Ben Hunt is a top class player; not as good as younger days but still going well. The issue is we need the capacity to recruit some top class players. Let’s hope that Sullivan is finally recruited but I doubt it.

Mitch Moses is also a top class player with blistering speed. He does has a better overall roster of players around him; made good use of them in win over sharks.

Latest posts