What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

ouryears

Bench
Lol , a kid could get himself a good assortment of lollies for threepence and if he done a bit of work after school , would have enough to go and see the mighty Saints play on the weekend .
Clinkers with each one having a different colour inside, chocolate cobbers when they tasted like real cobbers, glug ice block in a frozen triangle, sucking sherbert from a packet through a licquorice straw, reading the sun and the mirror newspaper each afternoon, and rugby league week......best headline ever was SAINTS ALIVE!!! in 1971, went on to make the GF in a great game vs Souths, rock cakes, toffee apples......and premierships........ great memories of growing up......

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
In 1982 I could get a 20c mixed bag of lollies from the grog shop and a pack of smokes for me mum. Then I'd take 40c round to the milk bar and play Donkey Kong for 5 mins.

edit: Why are we reminiscing in a rumours thread?

Because we can.................. ( think l might have started it with the Malvern Star dragster bike posting )

1377219874_Copy%20of%20P1010118.jpg

Old Timer

Coach
There were movie theatres everywhere with some suburbs having two. Feature films like Dimitreius and the Gladiators, Frankenstein, The Wolf Man, Earth V Flying Saucers plus a Hoppalong Cassidy or Lone Ranger short with a Tom & Jerry cartoon and Movietone news reels
Lolly kids at intermission (you used to get a pass out ticket) dressed in the red uniform and cap, with the wooden tray (with the big leather strap that went around their neck) full of Marella Jubes, Columbine Caramels, Jaffa’s.
Your major pocket money came from cashing in drink bottles (wow we finally got back there) and one time on school holidays we went to the Melody Theatre in Riverwood and then caught the bus to Penshurst and then walked to Hurstville and saw 3 different movies in 1 day.

There were movie theatres everywhere with some suburbs having two. Feature films like Dimitreius and the Gladiators, Frankenstein, The Wolf Man, Earth V Flying Saucers plus a Hoppalong Cassidy or Lone Ranger short with a Tom & Jerry cartoon and Movietone news reels
Lolly kids at intermission (you used to get a pass out ticket) dressed in the red uniform and cap, with the wooden tray (with the big leather strap that went around their neck) full of Marella Jubes, Columbine Caramels, Jaffa’s.
Your major pocket money came from cashing in drink bottles (wow we finally got back there) and one time on school holidays we went to the Melody Theatre in Riverwood and then caught the bus to Penshurst and then walked to Hurstville and saw 3 different movies in 1 day.
By “bus” you mean horse drawn carriage?

Old Timer

Coach
By “bus” you mean horse drawn carriage?
Not quite that old Mills if I remember it was the 29 from Riverwood and the 108 or 88 home from Hurstville. Dad's Prefect did have a crank handle though.
Of course you most likely come from that affluent area dare I say it the shire that had the twin drive in so you got chauffeured to & from and didn't know the value of a good stretch of the legs.

Not quite that old Mills if I remember it was the 29 from Riverwood and the 108 or 88 home from Hurstville. Dad's Prefect did have a crank handle though.
Of course you most likely come from that affluent area dare I say it the shire that had the twin drive in so you got chauffeured to & from and didn't know the value of a good stretch of the legs.
Not quite ol mate. Engadine boy. Out in what was the sticks and those “affluent types” called us Westies!

My ol pop built the cinema that was in Engadine, poor ol bugger dropped dead on the stairs outside that joint. My parents and uncle ran it for a while but careers with what was Sydney County Council meant it was all too hard, plus that evil invention “television” meant the patronage didn’t justify the cost. The old joint was sold to a bank “rural at the time I think” now the Comminwealth bank and News agent (I think) sits where the old joint used to be.

Old Timer

Coach
Not quite ol mate. Engadine boy. Out in what was the sticks and those “affluent types” called us Westies!

My ol pop built the cinema that was in Engadine, poor ol bugger dropped dead on the stairs outside that joint. My parents and uncle ran it for a while but careers with what was Sydney County Council meant it was all too hard, plus that evil invention “television” meant the patronage didn’t justify the cost. The old joint was sold to a bank “rural at the time I think” now the Comminwealth bank and News agent (I think) sits where the old joint used to be.
"Rural Bank" there's a blast from the past.
Mum & Dad banked with the branch at Riverwood.
Shame how the old flea houses lost their patronage in favour of the shopping centre / multi theatre styles and the advent of the TV.
If you have fond memories of the old joint I recommend you watch a movie called "Cinema Paradiso" (subtitles) but a great story all about the importance of the local picture show in a small Italian town.

"Rural Bank" there's a blast from the past.
Mum & Dad banked with the branch at Riverwood.
Shame how the old flea houses lost their patronage in favour of the shopping centre / multi theatre styles and the advent of the TV.
If you have fond memories of the old joint I recommend you watch a movie called "Cinema Paradiso" (subtitles) but a great story all about the importance of the local picture show in a small Italian town.
Oh cool. Thanks mate. I will take a look at that

ouryears

Bench
All these great posts reminds me why I love this club, and all you great fans and supporters of our Dragons.

All you guys are the Best in the league.

Thank God I was born in Dalcassia street Hurstville where it was a right, duty and honour to be a Saints kid growing up.

For 2019 I have big hopes.

Dragonsteve2

Juniors

OT, you have brought memories of the Taren Point's Skyline drive-in flooding back to me. It used to be such a special treat to go there especially if we had our dinner at the snack bar followed by some play time in the kids' playground. I can still picture the archway of lights that formed the entry to the playground. Then the real excitement took hold as darkness came and we headed back to the car for the movies.

Can also remember visits to the Savoy at Hurstville watching Sean Connery as James Bond and Peter Sellers as Inspector Clouseau in the Pink Panther.

Kids can't do without their phones today but I reckon we were the lucky ones with visits to the drive-in and local cinemas to add genuine excitement to the routine of our daily lives.