What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

RedVDave

First Grade
Whenever clubs announce they won't be extending the coaches contract beyond x year always seems to be the kiss the death.

The Eels did this in 2006 and they were having a shocking year before the coach was sacked and replaced mid-year.
Their have been others but off the top off my head this is the only one that springs to mind.

blacksafake

First Grade
Not sure about this.
He’s obviously in discussions when talking about the greatest coach in history but at his age we may only get a year out of him. What if he was to come back, clear the decks & bring in the new then his health deteriorates(not that I want it to)then we’re back to square one.
Maybe a long term coach is probably what we need.
Anyway good to finally see the press starting to say what us fans have been saying for years now.

RedVDave

First Grade
Utopia would be Bennett returning witn a succession plan featuring Flanagan.

*Slap*

Don’t be daft, Jimmy.
Sometimes it's fun to pretend.

Although wouldn't it be ironic if Bennett did come back and as a result Mary was flicked as when Bennett arrived in 09 Mary was the first bloke he punted.

I think I would prefer Flanagan as head coach though after the mess we had to clean up last time Bennett left us had me worried don't want that part of history to repeat.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Take Wayne Bennett back in a heart beat!!!

just what we need to restore the standards of the club.

We can only dream.
So true & I would take an 80 year old Bennett rather than cop another year of Peanut Paul.
I really hope this rumour has legs and Bennett is allowed to bring in a broom & mop.
I’m sure this will be a test for the new CEO in establishing trust between both parties.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Sometimes it's fun to pretend.

Although wouldn't it be ironic if Bennett did come back and as a result Mary was flicked as when Bennett arrived in 09 Mary was the first bloke he punted.

I think I would prefer Flanagan as head coach though after the mess we had to clean up last time Bennett left us had me worried don't want that part of history to repeat.

That’s why it would be good if Flanagan accepted a succession plan similar to Souths.

Bennett...Demetriou.

Bennett...Flanagan.

Old Timer

Coach
Before getting too excited about WB rumours why don’t we wait a little bit to see how Souths fair this year under his guidance
Souths were supposed to be the real deal last year and didn’t quite deliver on that and if he can’t get them going better this year with the talent he has there then why would you bother?

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Before getting too excited about WB rumours why don’t we wait a little bit to see how Souths fair this year under his guidance
Souths were supposed to be the real deal last year and didn’t quite deliver on that and if he can’t get them going better this year with the talent he has there then why would you bother?

Despite Mitchell’s presence, I reckon Souths are weaker without Inglis and Sam Burgess. While they’re going to be difficult to beat this season, the premiership window is closing rapidly. As a result, Demetriou will have a rocky start to his nascent, NRL career.

Last edited:

Coffs dragon

Bench
Hey OT I’d still rather come 3rd like Souths last year than runners up for the spoon like our mob under McDud.
At least Bennett did not make excuses for losing Inglis at the start of the season and then Sam Burgess being a one armed passenger. Mary would have created the biggest deflection in the history of the NRL, if presented with this scenario.

Old Timer

Coach
Hey OT I’d still rather come 3rd like Souths last year than runners up for the spoon like our mob under McDud.
At least Bennett did not make excuses for losing Inglis at the start of the season and then Sam Burgess being a one armed passenger. Mary would have created the biggest deflection in the history of the NRL, if presented with this scenario.
If Flanno is ultimately going to be the man then why have a hiatus by putting Bennett in for a year?
Surely better to put Shepherd in for the year and then go straight to Flanno to ensure continuity of process.

Old Timer

Coach
Despite Mitchell’s presence, I reckon Souths are weaker without Inglis and Sam Burgess. While they’re going to bear this season, the premiership window is closing rapidly. As a result, Demetriou will have a rocky start to his nascent, NRL career.
Agree re Burgess but not Inglis.
I actually think their backs look very strong providing Mitchell settles well and they have a more than useful pack with some great versatile small forwards who will prove very valuable as the season wears on.
I just hope Souths play attractive footy and not the sweeping block plays and out the backs that typify Bennett.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
If Flanno is ultimately going to be the man then why have a hiatus by putting Bennett in for a year?
Surely better to put Shepherd in for the year and then go straight to Flanno to ensure continuity of process.

Have to agree with this.

There are, however, three sides of the arguement here I believe:
1. Placing Shepherd may be seen as a puppet approach by the NRL. Fully knowing that Flanno is in charge.
2. Hiring Bennett would eleviate point 1 until Flanno can be.
3. Hiring Bennett would be the pwrfwct foul for Dean Young to take over at the end of 2021. Perfect scenario for the Board. Old boy played under master coach, now tutored under master coach.

Unless Bennet comes NOW there is no value in having him here for 1yr or even 18 months imo and as he has stated he wants to coach on after 2021. He would have the same situation at Souths anyway so why move?

Somehow Me thinks this was a made up story as I agree Shepherd is the likely interim replacement.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Agree re Burgess but not Inglis.
I actually think their backs look very strong providing Mitchell settles well and they have a more than useful pack with some great versatile small forwards who will prove very valuable as the season wears on.
I just hope Souths play attractive footy and not the sweeping block plays and out the backs that typify Bennett.

That’s the key word...providing. Although I cannot stomach Inglis (mainly in part of what he did to Dean Young, and his subsequent reaction to a player being stretchered from the field), I admit he was a very good player. His absence won’t be easily countered.

kit66

Bench
First up this is a Daily Telucrap story so low on credibility.

Bennett would be good to attract good signings but his Halo has been slipping for a couple of years now and not everyone gives him the respect he deserves and that could get worse.
I'd take him for sure but I'd love to see Jason Demetriou back here instead that would be good news.

Gareth67

First Grade
The story from Rothfield is just far too good to be true . Sure Bennett has had a history of leaving clubs before his contract expires , at times ensuring his departure by conjecture and misrepresentation of the facts so much so that the club gives him the silver bullet before any further harm can be done to their brand .

Not only is Bennett on his way but according to one source he will whisper sweet nothings into Souths young forward Cam Murray’s ear and entice him over to the Big Red V . The only thing missing to the jackpot prize is the Rabbits piggy bank !

I believe that Flanagan has the credentials required to take the Dragons to the top of the tree and also be able to attract some first rate quality players to the joint venture, unfortunately it is a case of waiting out this season . Who knows , with a new NRL CEO they may allow Flanagan to coach earlier than 2022 ?

Last edited:

LINESPEED

Juniors
The story from Rothfield is just far too good to be true . Sure Bennett has had a history of leaving clubs before his contract expires , at times ensuring his departure by a conjecture and misrepresentation of the facts so much so that the club gives him the silver bullet before any further harm can be done to their brand .

Not only is Bennett on his way but according to one source he will whisper sweet nothings into Souths young forward Murray ear and entice him over to the Big Red V . The only thing missing to the jackpot prize is the Rabbits piggy bank !

I believe that Flanagan has the credentials required to take the Dragons to the top of the tree and also be able to attract some first rate quality players to the joint venture, unfortunately it is a case of waiting out this season . Who knows , with a new NRL CEO they may allow Flanagan to coach earlier than 2022 ?

I wonder what Bennett’s relationship with the Gordons would be like?
Are they prepared to sacrifice the favourite son?

Dragon Revival

Juniors
I would stay clear of Bennett as his time has passed. We need to appoint a coach for only 2 years with at least a 55% winning ratio.
An overall 48% winning ratio will never win the Dragons the Premiership. The wilderness of the past 8 years needs to end by recruiting a reputable coach who is not a comedy of errors.

Gareth67

First Grade
I wonder what Bennett’s relationship with the Gordons would be like?
Are they prepared to sacrifice the favourite son?

Mate life is going to change in a big , big way with this bluudy C-Virus so it wouldn’t surprise me in the least if the Gordon’s pulled up stumps and give the Dragons and game itself a miss until life comes back to what it once was .

Unfortunately the chances of Bennett or anyone ever coaching any team will diminish even further until this insidious disease is finally gone .

Last edited:

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I would stay clear of Bennett as his time has passed. We need to appoint a coach for only 2 years with at least a 55% winning ratio.
An overall 48% winning ratio will never win the Dragons the Premiership. The wilderness of the past 8 years needs to end by recruiting a reputable coach who is not a comedy of errors.

How has Bennett’s time passed?

At 70, Bennett has limited time left. If he is prepared to undertake a two year agreement (with Flanagan to take over), I don’t see the problem with this.