1. Out Now:

Here it is - the latest edition of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine with a full wrap on last weekend's NRL and Super League along with the match programme for the coming round!

Ahead of Women in League Round this weekend, this bumper issue has plenty of features. Paul Jobber chats to Erin Molan about life in broadcasting, footy and more. Joshua Wells talks to NRLW player Botille Vette-Welsh about her rise in the women's game. We've also got Rick Edgerton's weekly finals piece, this week looking at the spines of each of the top eight sides. We also look at Old Boys Day through the eyes of Newcastle prop Daniel Saifiti.

Add to that all the regular features you've come to expect - a full NRL Round 19 programme - and you have one fantastic 36-page magazine for your weekend's reading!

EDITION 17 - OUT NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

The Rumours Thread

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by John moz, Apr 5, 2017.

1. redv13

redv13 Juniors

If Norman ever plays 2nd row for Saints I’ll shout the Orangeman and his Illawarra mates crownies for a year

Gareth67 likes this.
  2. Forbes Creek Dragons

Forbes Creek Dragons Bench

I have been searching and can’t find anything about it other than Brent Read saying he’s more likely than McGuire or AFB.

3. Maddragon99

Maddragon99 Juniors

I’ve been worried about McInnes, he had a massive man crush on McGregor & he’s not happy he’s gone. Hopefully he clicks with Hook, he’s our captain & we need him playing well. He’ll almost certainly shift back to dummy half next year so hopefully he’ll be happier. I’m tired of seeing him run the ball at 13 & getting smashed.

4. Maddragon99

Maddragon99 Juniors

I don’t see any scenario where Maloney signs with us while Norman is this there. Whatever cap space we have needs to be spent on hardening up our pack.

I think Norman gets first chance at 6 until Sullivan has played enough Canterbury Cup to be ready to take over.

5. Forbes Creek Dragons

Same, he’s our heart and soul. I hope Hook invests in him. I’d be getting a mentor in for him, and our halves to work on kicking. Do a session here and there, could really help them all.

6. Forbes Creek Dragons

A
    Agree, I really don’t think it’s worth the hassle unless someone tries to poach him (unlikely) I would rather just ride out 2021 with him. See if Hook can get something out of him while Sullivan hones his craft in CC. If Sullivan starts owning CC we can give him a run here and there before taking over in 2022.

Blood&Bandage and Mjab like this.
  7. Auntie.Gerald

Auntie.Gerald Bench

If we can move on Normie
    move Hunt to the halves
    I would sign Grant in a heart beat despite McInnes who i still think is a better 13 then he is 9

Grant
    is signed to the Storm until the end of 2022, but has a clause in his contract that allows him to become a free agent should Smith play on next season. Melbourne loaned Grant to the Tigers as part of a player-swap with Paul Momirovski to give him more game time.Jul 15, 2020

Inisai Toga likes this.
  8. Inisai Toga

Inisai Toga Juniors

Yes, Grant’s an intelligent footballer; very impressive. Possible agree that McInnes is a better 13 than 9, not sure; thing is, i feel there are better options at 13 than McInnes.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020 at 7:33 AM
  9. Gippsy

Gippsy Bench

Agree with that. If we had a hooker like Grant I think Hunt would kill it in the halves.

Gareth67, blacksafake, Mjab and 2 others like this.
  10. BLM01

BLM01 Bench

Smith will retire at the end of the year

blacksafake and getsmarty like this.
  11. Mjab

Mjab Juniors

How about he just becomes a water runner and maybe we would win more games
    I think he is Fing useless and shouldnt be in the team

RedV Resurgence likes this.
  12. RedV Resurgence

RedV Resurgence Juniors

Yeah he seems to be good at running across the field rather than up and down the field. Water runner would suit him perfectly.

You are a genius!

Mjab likes this.
  13. Slippery Morris

Slippery Morris First Grade

Anyone have any info on who Griffin will be chasing as assistants? That will be interesting seeing he has cleaned out the decks there?

Hopefully Matt Head may stay onboard as he was pretty good and did much better than Hornby and Young did in the lower grades. Mary and his mob tried to push him out last year after his team go to a GF cause they probably saw him as a threat only for him to survive the axe somehow.

be55, Coffs dragon, Gippsy and 4 others like this.
  14. RedVDave

RedVDave Bench

Agreed Mat Head has a very good footy brain (forgive the pun) plus also had success with the Tigers lower grades.

15. Gareth67

Gareth67 First Grade

If he gets a pack of forwards whom are making plenty of meters then he would be free to play his natural game .

I always remember what Steve Linnane said after he left the Dragons and joined the Knights - “ What a difference it makes to play behind a pack that has plenty of go-forward in them . “ or words to that effect .

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020 at 6:51 PM
    blacksafake and Dragon David like this.
  16. Forbes Creek Dragons

McInnes would also look better behind a pack that goes forward, so would Hunt as 7. Our whole team would benefit from a prop or 3.

17. Dragon David

Dragon David Juniors

We definitely need the go forward, tough as teak, relentless and fit guys to take the ball up and do the hard yards which we have lacked in the past couple of years, particularly with the loss of JDB in that time.

Hopefully, Griffin gets the right men to help with what we already have minus those who are just plodders.

Our backs will love it and the bigger and stronger the guys the better.

Ghostrider22, Gareth67 and Smurf like this.
  18. BIG RIG

BIG RIG Juniors

Some rumours I have heard over the last few days

- Obvious one is Joe Ofahengaue has agreed to terms on a 3 yr deal at St George and the deal seems to be in the ballpark of 400k per yr

- Dean Young has officially quit and looks set to to join Todd Payten at the Cowboys, Shane Flanagan looks likely to head to the Sydney Roosters

- From what I’m hearing Josh McGuire is very keen to join St George under Anthony Griffin for next yr and a deal may be struck in the next couple weeks

- Despite the rumours of his re-signing Christian Welch may still end up at St George but very unlikely

- The Reuben Garrick, Jason Saab swap deal is a done deal awaiting announcement

- Korbin Sims looks like he could depart the club along with Trent Merrin as Griffin reportedly does not see them in his future plans

- Dragons are also discussing whether to offer Addin Fonua Blake a contract for 2021 - all depends on JDB court case

- Corey Norman has received slight interest from the Super League but very unlikely he will leave - Dragons desperate to get rid of him and view either young Sullivan as a replacement or signing a veteran as a short term replacement

- Paul Green was actually approached for the head coaching gig but declined

- Anthony Griffin has earmarked some potential assistant coaches including - John Cartwright, Stephen Kearney and Simon Woolford

- BIG RUMOUR ( Still 50/50 about it but I highly doubt it )

Melbourne Storm could be set to approach St George in regards to a potential swap deal for Jordan Periera and/or Brayden Williame for JAC

19. Old Timer

Old Timer Coach

Any news re Jacob Host and a contract upgrade

I know he was injured and pulled out at the Captains run a week ago but is he still injured or just not in DY's plan this week?

20. redVinme

redVinme Juniors

Throw in Norman for free.

Thanks for the update

Mjab, be55 and Dragon David like this.