What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Maddragon99

Juniors
No loss really. Sailor is no saviour

I tend to agree but he should have gotten more game time instead of Norman in the halves. Might have given us more spark after the lockdown when there was still a chance of rescuing our season. Instead our season is fu@ked & Sailor is lost.

Anyone with half a brain knows Norman is a dud, so why did 2 coaches continue to persist with him? If Sailor was out of favour why wait until the final round to play Sullivan? It’s not like we were battling to make the finals we dropped out contention 6 or 7 weeks ago.

if Sullivan rips it up this week Dean Young should be ashamed of himself

Dragon David

First Grade
I tend to agree but he should have gotten more game time instead of Norman in the halves. Might have given us more spark after the lockdown when there was still a chance of rescuing our season. Instead our season is fu@ked & Sailor is lost.

Anyone with half a brain knows Norman is a dud, so why did 2 coaches continue to persist with him? If Sailor was out of favour why wait until the final round to play Sullivan? It’s not like we were battling to make the finals we dropped out contention 6 or 7 weeks ago.

if Sullivan rips it up this week Dean Young should be ashamed of himself
Just utter poor management from Mary and Co. right from the beginning of this year (well for many years).

Maddragon99

Juniors
Just utter poor management from Mary and Co. right from the beginning of this year (well for many years).

It just doesn’t make sense to let Sailor go without giving him a chance when there was ample opportunity for him to play.

Anyway good luck to Tristan he should find a gig somewhere, maybe at Manly with Saab.

I think we’re a decent chance of making the playoffs next year but not with Norman in the side.

Phantom V

Juniors
If Sullivan goes well, Hunt may very well find himself playing reserves imo. He needs to learn to game manage better. He should dominate reserves, if not he doesn’t play fg.
In my humble opinion Hunt will go down as one of the worst signings in the history of our club. closely followed by Norman.
They were bought in as quick fixes to save the ass of the number 1 worst signing of all time, our former coach.
I have no confidence in Hunt as a player. 20 years ago he would have struggled to get a first grade spot and we pay him over a million a year.
I’d like to see Sullivan and Dufty as our halves pairing, with a couple of tough forwards in the mould of Smith and Costigan to cover for them. Despite what I said about Hunt, I’d move him to the interchange bench and put young Ramsey at fullback where he’ll have a chance to make more of an impact. Then possibly Feagai brothers to centre and wing. Any thoughts men??

blacksafake

First Grade
In my humble opinion Hunt will go down as one of the worst signings in the history of our club. closely followed by Norman.
They were bought in as quick fixes to save the ass of the number 1 worst signing of all time, our former coach.
I have no confidence in Hunt as a player. 20 years ago he would have struggled to get a first grade spot and we pay him over a million a year.
I’d like to see Sullivan and Dufty as our halves pairing, with a couple of tough forwards in the mould of Smith and Costigan to cover for them. Despite what I said about Hunt, I’d move him to the interchange bench and put young Ramsey at fullback where he’ll have a chance to make more of an impact. Then possibly Feagai brothers to centre and wing. Any thoughts men??
Maybe if Hunt had a couple of tough forwards like those mentioned in our pack we’d see some difference.

ALSGI

Bench
Thoughts?
In my humble opinion Hunt is a current QLD & AUS rep.
He is a very capable player that has, can and I predict will continue to change a game in an instant for good or bad.
His effort is always there imo.

Give him a decent coach, forward pack, game plan and halves partner and we’d see a different result. He goes very well at rep level when surrounded by all of these factors.

redv13

Bench
Norman signing is much worse than Hunt

Maddragon99

Juniors

I think we’re a pretty good chance of making the 8 next year, Hook’s only been signed for 2yrs so he can’t afford 2021 to be a throw away year. I’m sure he’s been busy working the phones trying to do deals to get some top line players for next year.

However I don’t see how we can win 16 or 17 games to make the 8 with Norman in the side regardless of what forwards Hook signs. One way or another Norman has got to.

I think Hunt will get first chance at 7 with Sullivan at 6. Feel sorry for Clune but McInnes must return to 9 with a bigger body at 13 probably Asiata.

Agree with your comments regarding Dufty & Ramsey but I don’t see Dufty as a 6 without time in Canterbury Cup first.

Yes about the Feagai boys playing together can’t wait.

Phantom V

Juniors
Thoughts?
He is a very capable player that has, can and I predict will continue to change a game in an instant for good or bad.

Give him a decent coach, forward pack, game plan and halves partner and we’d see a different result. He goes very well at rep level when surrounded by all of these factors.[/QUOTE

Decent coach, forward pack, game plan and halves partner? Anything else? You’re basically admitting he’s not good enough unless all these other factors come into play.

I think you’re way off the mark if you think Hunt warrants selection in any rep side on current form. He would only make Qld origin because they are short on troops.

He is a capable player but there are better options in my opinion. Anyone can pass the ball and kick on the last tackle. What else does he bring to the table?? Game management??
Running at the line??

redv13

Bench
I think we’re a pretty good chance of making the 8 next year, Hook’s only been signed for 2yrs so he can’t afford 2021 to be a throw away year. I’m sure he’s been busy working the phones trying to do deals to get some top line players for next year.

However I don’t see how we can win 16 or 17 games to make the 8 with Norman in the side regardless of what forwards Hook signs. One way or another Norman has got to.

I think Hunt will get first chance at 7 with Sullivan at 6. Feel sorry for Clune but McInnes must return to 9 with a bigger body at 13 probably Asiata.

Agree with your comments regarding Dufty & Ramsey but I don’t see Dufty as a 6 without time in Canterbury Cup first.

Yes about the Feagai boys playing together can’t wait.
Usually 25 rounds with a bye, 12 wins maybe 13 will get you in the 8. 16/17 would just about be a top 4 spot. I think with some changes we could give 12/13 wins a real shake

slippery5

Juniors
It just doesn’t make sense to let Sailor go without giving him a chance when there was ample opportunity for him to play.

Anyway good luck to Tristan he should find a gig somewhere, maybe at Manly with Saab.

I think we’re a decent chance of making the playoffs next year but not with Norman in the side.
Do we consider giving them a chance to prove they are up to it by playing CC ? My observation last year didn't impress me with his poor defensive reads & lack of drive in body contact during defence. He showed some individual ability in attack but that was nullified with some bad defence, much like Dufty but Dufty has a lot more speed.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Thoughts?

Give him a decent coach, forward pack, game plan and halves partner and we’d see a different result. He goes very well at rep level when surrounded by all of these factors.
I mostly agree with you at least at hooker. He’s proven to not cut it at 7 for Qld or Australia so in the position we bought him for none of that really stands, even with the good players around him. I will reserve judgement on him until halfway through next season, with a new game plan and hopefully some new props. If I’m to be honest I wouldn’t say I’m confident but I’ll give him a chance and hope he proves me wrong. With Widdop he went pretty well, but Widdop was a dominant half. He goes well when he has a really dominant halves partner so while the defence watches them he can have a sneaky dummy and run. That isn’t exactly million dollar player stuff but if that’s what we have to do to get something out of him that’s what we have to do. No one is taking him.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Do we consider giving them a chance to prove they are up to it by playing CC ? My observation last year didn't impress me with his poor defensive reads & lack of drive in body contact during defence. He showed some individual ability in attack but that was nullified with some bad defence, much like Dufty but Dufty has a lot more speed.

It’s difficult to judge anyone too harshly when you consider the coaching over the past decade. Anyone that was graded after 2011 has had some of the worst coaching in the NRL.

Defence is an attitude & the teams attitude is the coaches responsibility. That’s why our middle defence is marshmallow soft.

I liked Sailor, he was never given a chance. It could easily been Sailor picked instead of Clune.

Clune debuted at 25 Sailor is only 20 or 21.

Anyway like I said good luck to him

redv13

Bench
The last time we made the 8 was 2018 when we finished with 15 wins & scraped in 7th. I’m targeting 5th or 6th so we can get a home final & I think that’ll take 16 or 17 wins.
From memory that season there was a 2pt difference from 1st to 8th. That doesn’t happen too often and usually a 50% win loss ratio gets you in.