What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Very interesting article I have just read

- Broncos want to sign Josh McGuire for next year

- Moses Mbye has signed at 2 year deal will be announced in the coming days

- We have offered Moses Suli a 3 year deal

- We are set to offer Villiame Kikau a 4 year deal starting in 2023

- We are looking at signing Ofahiki Ogden from the Bulldogs
Any chance Maguire takes Macca with him?

BLM01

First Grade

1. Either or, dont care either way, if he wants to go let him
2. Ok as we thought
3. he looks a shadow of a player he was 1 or 2 years ago, so it is a NO from me but could be too late. Lot of Manly supporters are happy if he goes
4. Please be no..I hope Penrith retain him. Over rated and will have to be way overpaid by us
5. Ok with that but would of preferred Atoni but he is going to the Chooks?

BLM01

First Grade
Kikau is the number one attacking backrow weapon in the game so I like the Dragons ambition. And at age 26, this deal for KIkau is likely to be largely about money- but maybe not completely. Some of his Fijian mates are probably already playing French Rugby who tend to have the deepest pockets. There is also the lure of the 2023 Rugby World Cup to be played in France so the Dragons won't have it all their own way by a long shot. Good luck Haran and Millward- if you can pull this one off- all is forgiven.
No. 1?.edge backrow I think you mean but
If it came down to a choice between him and Fifita Id take Fifita. JT (playing on an edge now), Papa from Parra or even Capewell..but thats just me
Even their prop coming off contract Leota, he is a goer

But if Penrith are serious they would be able to retain the so called No 1 backrow player in the game...if they wanted to

Last edited:

JubileeJeffro

Juniors
agree, Maguire does seem past his prime and happy for him to move back to QLD. He is best served as a 13 and JDB should have that locked up if no injuries.
The kikau signing makes sense as replacement for Tariq Sims for 2023, when his contract ends
We really need to work out the number 9 succession plan

blacksafake

First Grade
No way in this world is Kikau worth 1mil..
Good player Yes but can be lazy, goes missing, normally good for one dumb play & not real keen when a side gets physical. Also been lucky imo with the MRC so if he did sign with us you can rest assured they'd soon single him out.
In a couple of years young Schuster will be the gun edge.

Crush

Coach
Didn’t we only just get McGuire? He’s only played a handful of games for us, why would we let him go to another club? That would be utterly stupid recruiting if so and would show that there is no clear plan about what we are doing whatsoever.
Surely a beat up.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
This seems to be a problem with us. We go chasing but they outrun us and we end up with the scraps.
I'm hoping that Kikau feels he owes Hook for having given him his start in the NRL and feels the premiership is never going to be won under Cleary. Both are hopes rather then expectations and assume that French Rugby is off his radar- which I highly doubt.

denis preston

First Grade
At least this shows we have money to spend NOW. The offer to Kikau for 2023 suggests to me that Hook knows now which players that come off contract at next years seasons end won't be retained.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
No. 1?.edge backrow I think you mean but
If it came down to a choice between him and Fifita Id take Fifita. JT (playing on an edge now), Papa from Parra or even Capewell..but thats just me
Even their prop coming off contract Leota, he is a goer

But if Penrith are serious they would be able to retain the so called No 1 backrow player in the game...if they wanted to
Both Fifita and JT on their day are equally or more devastating in attack on the edge than Kikau but I see them as both having attitude problems. JT seems to have major problems with Payten and Holbrook had to resort to playing Fifita off the bench against the Dragons- it worked- unfortunately for us- but he's a million dollar player- you'd expect to start him every game.

mickeylane

Bench

Sims out in 2023 for sure......so makes sense..

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
No way in this world is Kikau worth 1mil..
Good player Yes but can be lazy, goes missing, normally good for one dumb play & not real keen when a side gets physical. Also been lucky imo with the MRC so if he did sign with us you can rest assured they'd soon single him out.
In a couple of years young Schuster will be the gun edge.
Like yourself, I'm a massive fan of Schuster- all the talk here about Saab and Garrick being a loss, I'd take Schuster any day over both of them.
Having said that, I"m not sure- and I don't think Manly are sure either- what his best position is - Foran is on his last legs so Schuster may become the new ball playing Olsen Filipaina type 5/8 for the Eagles in the future.

BLM01

First Grade
Both Fifita and JT on their day are equally or more devastating in attack on the edge than Kikau but I see them as both having attitude problems. JT seems to have major problems with Payten and Holbrook had to resort to playing Fifita off the bench against the Dragons- it worked- unfortunately for us- but he's a million dollar player- you'd expect to start him every game.
I agree totally with your analysis of those too

I don’t think Kik has problems or even an attitude issue
my whole point is you just don’t see enough of him in the game only when he’s put Into a hole and we have to pay a fortune to get him
And if Penrith did let him go when he supposedly in his prime speaks volumes of maybe they are not trying that hard to retain him

Having said all that he will have a blinder tonight as he auditions for his new club 😊

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
agree, Maguire does seem past his prime and happy for him to move back to QLD. He is best served as a 13 and JDB should have that locked up if no injuries.
The kikau signing makes sense as replacement for Tariq Sims for 2023, when his contract ends
We really need to work out the number 9 succession plan
Hunt will move there eventually and possibly some stage next year. Macca the back up as both have 2 yrs left with us
Connor M on his way through
By that time our inbred 6 & 7 will be on their way Amone & Sullivan respectively

qld redvee

Juniors

I think with McGuires judiciary record we could let him go although the mongrel attitude he brings is helpful

wouldnt want to be paying overs for Suli he hasnt done much this year

Kikau is the big name that we need and can be there while our youngsters develop.. its up to griffin to not let him switch off but devise the game plan around him

ogden cant be any worse than alvero and possa that we have now..

The main thing we need is to have lower grades back next year so that juniours get game time