What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Maybe a bit controversial but watching the Dogs v Knights, I would really have a crack at Luke Thompson. Now before someone cracks a wtf, here me out.

He's aggressive (yes too much).
Today has 15 runs for 158 metres with 75 Pcm, 28 tackles missed 1
For 2021 he averages 141 m with tackle efficiency of 94.6% with 15 hit-ups a game.

Issue 1 - gets suspended
Isuue 2 - very top heavy salary

If he's been given permission to look around, he's contracted to the Dog's until 2023, so this would be right up Hooks 'moneyball' thinking. If we could get him for 400k with the Dogs chipping in the balance. I think he'd be a good leader within the group. He's 26.

With GB coming and James Graham on staff, would provide an English connection. We need some aggression in our pack, he could provide it with some guidance from 'Jammer'.

redv13

Bench
Maybe a bit controversial but watching the Dogs v Knights, I would really have a crack at Luke Thompson. Now before someone cracks a wtf, here me out.

For 2021 he averages 141 m with tackle efficiency of 94.6% with 15 hit-ups a game.

Issue 1 - gets suspended

If he's been given permission to look around, he's contracted to the Dog's until 2023, so this would be right up Hooks 'moneyball' thinking. If we could get him for 400k with the Dogs chipping in the balance. I think he'd be a good leader within the group. He's 26.

With GB coming and James Graham on staff, would provide an English connection. We need some aggression in our pack, he could provide it with some guidance from 'Jammer'.
Mate there is no way the dogs are releasing Thompson and paying half his wage. No chance!!

Dragon David

First Grade

Issue 1 - gets suspended

I wouldn't mind him provided the staff can curb his propensity to giving away penalties and copping suspensions as a result. Because of his history of 4 weeks suspension for eye gouging in 2020 and sidelined for 3 weeks for dangerous contact just a few weeks ago, any further visit to the judiciary will mean with his priors he will be out for 3, 4 or 5 weeks depending on the charge.

We have already got Rava and Fuimaono with priors and some others as well and the less suspended players we have next year the better - seeing that this year we copped plenty.

I do like Thompson though and as you say, he and Burgess with Jammer will provide an English connection which could be very good for the club.

be55

Juniors
Fotuaika...he's the one...get the kitchen sink ready and throw it at him, and get a 4 year deal done...He's only 21 years old, a tremendous player who leads their run meters ahead of Tino and Fifita, a high average of around 50 post contact meters a game (on par with Tino), plenty of tackle busts, is third overall for offloads, plays good minutes (averages around 50min a game) and is very good defensively (he's missed the least amount of tackles of any forward, except the hooker Erin Clarke, comparative to games played)...My gut tells me it will be hard to get him down to play for us, but if we aren't looking to compliment our promising young juniors, with real quality when it comes on the open market, we are just wasting our time...

If we could land his signature, I'd fair dinkum be doing cartwheels down the street....

redv13

Bench
Worth a try

He is a highly effective front rower with an abundance of mongrel

Even if we paid $500-600k per season for 2 seasons he would be worth it
Love him, goes hard but it’s at a stage where he is now fast becoming a suspension liability. On report tonight for a crusher, 1st game back from suspension. It looked ugly so with his previous loadings I’m tipping a 3 week rest with 2 games remaining.

Crush

Coach
I disagree mate. You can use us as the comparison but in reality they're a fringe top 8 side this year and a few rookie coaches + pricey along with a few overpaid players won't lift them above the current top 5 sides in my view. They certainly will not be top 4 in 2022.
I strongly disagree but we will see mate.
Plenty of time between now and then!

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Fotuaika...he's the one...get the kitchen sink ready and throw it at him, and get a 4 year deal done...He's only 21 years old, a tremendous player who leads their run meters ahead of Tino and Fifita, a high average of around 50 post contact meters a game (on par with Tino), plenty of tackle busts, is third overall for offloads, plays good minutes (averages around 50min a game) and is very good defensively (he's missed the least amount of tackles of any forward, except the hooker Erin Clarke, comparative to games played)...My gut tells me it will be hard to get him down to play for us, but if we aren't looking to compliment our promising young juniors, with real quality when it comes on the open market, we are just wasting our time...

If we could land his signature, I'd fair dinkum be doing cartwheels down the street....

I do smell a manager pumping up a players salary at our expense here unfortunately but he would be the best player for our squad right now on a long deal. About the same age as our other up and comers, we can build a real sustainable side. Ahhh let a man dream.

BLM01

First Grade
LAM......You can't be serious ??????????????????????????
Yep I am. We have still not enough depth in the front row and LAM will be a better fill in option if needed over Poasa and Dan Alvaro. I am only talkin 1 year as depth only as does a handy fill in job. Next year our front rowers are;
Lawrie, Molo, Kerr, Burgess (not certain if he will make it), maybe McGuire
We also need to sign 1 more decent 1st grade prop especially if McGuire goes to Brissy
Mo from Titans not available till 23

Last edited:

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

Issue 1 - gets suspended

Was thinking the same thing DS- he's at his peak- can't understand why the Bulldogs haven't made him their No 1 pack priority. I've had my issues with the Dragons acquiring players of dubious quality (eg McGuire) under Moneyball- Thompson is a definite step up in quality.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Was thinking the same thing DS- he's at his peak- can't understand why the Bulldogs haven't made him their No 1 pack priority. I've had my issues with the Dragons acquiring players of dubious quality (eg McGuire) under Moneyball- Thompson is a definite step up in quality.
McGuire gets plenty of stick on here but I think he’s been a decent mid season pickup. Our pack would be much weaker without him. Would you prefer Alvaro or Ford starting in his place?