What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

The Word

Juniors
With the 6 agains is the age of the hugh pack being replaced by forwards with big motors ?
Possibly over time, we'll see. When Penrith won the GF every forward in their 17 was over 100kg (other than Hooker) so my point is that a 98kg forward doesn't really count as big? 6 again has sped up the game but at the moment the big forwards are still winning games. The obvious issue for me with 6 again is the defensive forwards need to cut out errors and ruck infringements, and the attacking team should always be aiming for quick play the ball.

blacksafake

First Grade
Possibly over time, we'll see. When Penrith won the GF every forward in their 17 was over 100kg (other than Hooker) so my point is that a 98kg forward doesn't really count as big? 6 again has sped up the game but at the moment the big forwards are still winning games. The obvious issue for me with 6 again is the defensive forwards need to cut out errors and ruck infringements, and the attacking team should always be aiming for quick play the ball.
Size is ok as long as they are fit with good lateral movement & agile.
If they're cumbersome with no lateral agility that's a different story.

boardlumps62

Juniors
Size is ok as long as they are fit with good lateral movement & agile.
If they're cumbersome with no lateral agility that's a different story.
Is that a fair description of Kerr. Big body has some leg speest but no agility and poor hands. I was so hoping he would click into gear this year but didn't happen. Hook had him playing as an edge forward was that where it all went wrong for him. Can't we just use him as a prop?

blacksafake

First Grade
Is that a fair description of Kerr. Big body has some leg speest but no agility and poor hands. I was so hoping he would click into gear this year but didn't happen. Hook had him playing as an edge forward was that where it all went wrong for him. Can't we just use him as a prop?
It wasn't meant to be a criticism of anyone but he & Lawrie were in the back of my mind when i wrote it.

Gareth67

First Grade

Yes prop it has to be for Kerr , get him back into the front row .

When he first came from the Storm - some time baaaack now we have all been saying next season will be his breakout year , buuuut we are still waiting for the big bloke to really nail it .

He needs to get out onto the field and really charge onto the ball and in defense have a ‘ take no prisoners ‘ attitude . If he can do that then he will be earning his keep and also be making life much easier for the other members of the pack .

possm

Coach
One of my favourite St George coaches (Harry Bath) once said when talking about players:
'a good big player will always be better than a good little one' or works similar.

BBTB

Juniors
Yes prop it has to be for Kerr , get him back into the front row .

When he first came from the Storm - some time baaaack now we have all been saying next season will be his breakout year , buuuut we are still waiting for the big bloke to really nail it .

He needs to get out onto the field and really charge onto the ball and in defense have a ‘ take no prisoners ‘ attitude . If he can do that then he will be earning his keep and also be making life much easier for the other members of the pack .
Just does 'not have it in him.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight.
It's the size of the fight in the dog....

Gareth67

First Grade
Just does 'not have it in him.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight.
It's the size of the fight in the dog....

Unfortunately your right BBTB , however with all the suspensions and injuries we had this season the entire team was at times nothing more than a patchwork quilt so I can understand his hot and cold performances , at least to a degree .

However now that the Dragons have a more evenly balanced pack there will be no further excuses for him as he will have everything in his favour .

The shame is that as you have said , the man certainly will not be the big dawg of the team that I was hoping for him to be .

Last edited:

carltonsouth79

First Grade
Not a rumour but a query. Reading a lot about Brandon Smith being targeted by some clubs, no surprise one being the Rorters, we are not mentioned at all. I’m surprised we haven’t made a play for him. McCullogh is solid but aging and I don’t see any likely hooker replacements save the young fellow we recently signed. I would have thought Smith would have been a huge priority for us. Anyone know if we are in the running?

thebigredv

First Grade
Not a rumour but a query. Reading a lot about Brandon Smith being targeted by some clubs, no surprise one being the Rorters, we are not mentioned at all. I’m surprised we haven’t made a play for him. McCullogh is solid but aging and I don’t see any likely hooker replacements save the young fellow we recently signed. I would have thought Smith would have been a huge priority for us. Anyone know if we are in the running?

We best be after him but no word on it yet. I'll be dirty if we end up extending old man McCullough while McIness kills it at Sharks. It is our number one weakness and Smith would bring with him more than just his raw talent. Yes he has faltered recently, but he is a popular team mate who will also have a point to prove. We probably will have to offer extra $ to even be in with a chance. I just want to know we tried at very least a la Finucane.

I'm expecting a couple big recruits this month. Nothing less will suffice.

possm

Coach
Griffin and his team have done a great job increasing our depth with players that have had first-grade experience. I too can't see the logic of not chasing Smith as he would make a great contribution to the team if the plan is to play Hunt at halfback.

The only reason I can see is that Griffin intends to ease Sullivan into the halfback position while graduating moving Hunt to Hooker. Of maybe even introducing Sullivan to Hooker and playing him off the bench at 14.

We won't really know the answer until we see what unfolds in the early rounds of 2022.

possm

Coach
We best be after him but no word on it yet. I'll be dirty if we end up extending old man McCullough while McIness kills it at Sharks. It is our number one weakness and Smith would bring with him more than just his raw talent. Yes he has faltered recently, but he is a popular team mate who will also have a point to prove. We probably will have to offer extra $ to even be in with a chance. I just want to know we tried at very least a la Finucane.

I'm expecting a couple big recruits this month. Nothing less will suffice.
Yes, if the choice is between Smith and McCullough then it is a no-brainer. But I think the choice is between moving Hunt to 9 and Sullivan to 7 or just recruiting Smith and losing Sullivan.

Sometimes it comes down to what the team needs now, rather than what the team needs over time. It also comes down to salary cap and how things are shaped for the time beyond 2022.