What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

thebigredv

First Grade
Yes, if the choice is between Smith and McCullough then it is a no-brainer. But I think the choice is between moving Hunt to 9 and Sullivan to 7 or just recruiting Smith and losing Sullivan.

Sometimes it comes down to what the team needs now, rather than what the team needs over time. It also comes down to salary cap and how things are shaped for the time beyond 2022.

My opinions about this club have not been popular of late but here it goes...

I'm very interested in the price tag on Sullivan. He's been there for us waiting in the wings but thanks to injury and slow moving coaches, he hasn't been given enough time to prove he is the out and out super star in first grade. He looks good in a terrible team but we haven't really seen him that much in the halves to offer him huge money. Too risky for a player who has so far been injured. I think it's in his and the club's interest for him to test the market or to play some consistent footy in 2022 before anyone can land on a figure. Right now we need an elite hooker and prop signed up from those players who have now become available. It's unfortunate timing - I don't want to lose him - but I wouldn't be going past 500k for Jayden right now. Hynes didn't command much more than that and he has proven star quality in first grade and no notable injury history.

Anyway, if we can't fit Smith, Hunt and Sullivan in the same team in 2023 given the $ of players we've let go, than we've definitely became defunct as a club.

denis preston

First Grade
Perhaps Sullivans manager has asked the club if they are going after Smith or another hooker before Bud will sign ? If Smith signs bud might not be prepared to be understudy halfback for 2 more seasons ?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Why would anyone sign with us for '23, especially Bud or even Smith?

First question i'd ask is " who will he my coach in 23' and beyond?"

Our current answer is...............???

Gareth67

First Grade
Cannot see Smith ever considering the Dragons as a destination - not ever in fact .

The bloke is not only after a contract with plenty of dollars , but also a club that is strong enough to win a premiership and let’s face the sad truth - the Dragons simply do not possess the fire power to do that .

There will be other players of note that will crop up on the market for one reason or another that our recruitment will be able to go after and also be a much better fit at the Big Red V than the likes of Smith .

possm

Coach
Perhaps Sullivans manager has asked the club if they are going after Smith or another hooker before Bud will sign ? If Smith signs bud might not be prepared to be understudy halfback for 2 more seasons ?
In my opinion, Smith will sign with the Roosters who always seem to have enough cap to attract the best on the market.

Saints should move Hunt to 9 and let Amon, Sullivan and Sloan develop as the key combo in our spine. If it takes all of 2022 to get it all together, so be it; at least we are on our way.
1. Sloan
2. Mogga
3. Suli
4. Lomax
5. Ravalawa
6. Amon
7. Sullivan
8. Molo
9. Hunt
10. Woods
11. Sims
12. Su'A
13. De Belin

14. Bird/Mbye
15. Lawrie
16. Burgess
17. Kerr

Mogga and Ravalawa can bring the ball back after a kick. Apart from Sloan, a big fast back 5. our left side with:
Woods
Sims
Suli
Mogga

Should be very strong in defence and attack in 2022.

kit66

Bench
In my opinion, Smith will sign with the Roosters who always seem to have enough cap to attract the best on the market.

Saints should move Hunt to 9 and let Amon, Sullivan and Sloan develop as the key combo in our spine. If it takes all of 2022 to get it all together, so be it; at least we are on our way.
1. Sloan
2. Mogga
3. Suli
4. Lomax
5. Ravalawa
6. Amon
7. Sullivan
8. Molo
9. Hunt
10. Woods
11. Sims
12. Su'A
13. De Belin

14. Bird/Mbye
15. Lawrie
16. Burgess
17. Kerr

Mogga and Ravalawa can bring the ball back after a kick. Apart from Sloan, a big fast back 5. our left side with:
Woods
Sims
Suli
Mogga

Should be very strong in defence and attack in 2022.

What's goin on ? You've picked a team that I pretty much agree with ??? Not sure about Moga, Max Feagai is almost as good as Rava when fit only faster and his brother has similar talent.

BIG RIG

Juniors
Buzz Rothfield is reporting that a high paying captain of a certain NRL team is being shopped around despite being under contract till 2023

The only captains in the NRL contracted till 23 that are considered in the high paying category are

DCE
Josh Jackson
And u guessed it

Ben Hunt

Gareth67

First Grade
Buzz Rothfield is reporting that a high paying captain of a certain NRL team is being shopped around despite being under contract till 2023

The only captains in the NRL contracted till 23 that are considered in the high paying category are

DCE
Josh Jackson
And u guessed it

Ben Hunt

Well I cannot see it being Hunt , the bloke has a watertight contract on some veeeeery BIG dollars . Unless Mr. Bennett has earmarked him for his plans with the Dolphins ?

D.C.Evans - is overrated and overpaid in my most humble opinion , but that bloke will stick to his contract like a bloated maggot to a week old carcass .

I would have to say Josh Jackson , the old warhorse is nearing the end of his career and knowing the Dogs they may need to free up some space in their salary cap after all of their recent signings .

Last edited:

denis preston

First Grade
Read somewhere Jackson was on 850k ??
little wonder.....
As much as some ask for a "marque " signing, anything over 600k for any player other than a outright champion SOO/Australia test standard player still at their peak, is fraught with danger. So many NRL players are on these deals and just becoming list cloggers. Norman, Simms & Hunt until 2021 are our lot.

Dragon David

First Grade
Would anyone be interested in us taking on Joey Leilua on a T&T deal?
It is a definite NO from me even on a T & T deal. Would not be beneficial on or off the field for us as far as I am concerned. His best days were at the Raiders playing with Rapana. His mouth and ill temper gets him into trouble too much for my liking.

We have just resigned the twins and they are our future together with several other youngsters who have the Red V in their heart.

Latest posts