What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

I'll have a go.
1 Sloan
2 Mogo
3 Sui
4 Lomax
5 Rava
6 Junior
7 Hunt
8 McGuire (Lawrie)
9 Mac
10 Molo
11 Sua
12 Sims
13 JDB
14 Mybe
15 Bird
16 Woods
17 Burgess
CC
My only concern with that team is Bird. I fear his ego wont allow him to accept a bench role, he will try to prove he is better than that. Would rather Fui, Burns or even Ford. Sims off the bench is also quite tempting. He has the body to make a big impact with low risk.

be55

Juniors
My only concern with that team is Bird. I fear his ego wont allow him to accept a bench role, he will try to prove he is better than that. Would rather Fui, Burns or even Ford.
So you think that Jackson Ford is of more value to our team on the field than a fully fit Jack Bird....

Confused Saved By The Bell GIF by PeacockTV

Como Connection

First Grade
My only concern with that team is Bird. I fear his ego wont allow him to accept a bench role, he will try to prove he is better than that. Would rather Fui, Burns or even Ford. Sims off the bench is also quite tempting. He has the body to make a big impact with low risk.
Agree, very interesting times ahead.
CC

Old Timer

Coach
With Due respect GC if Ford ( or Alvaro, the farmer,Kerr or even Burns ) get games in NRL 2022 then put the team down to a 12-16 finish. Unless they have a miraculous form spike which includes massive improvement in their defence & endurance , which was sadly lacking last season.
I think Burns will surprise a lot of people this year
IMO he has the makings of a top class ball runner

denis preston

First Grade
I think Burns will surprise a lot of people this year
IMO he has the makings of a top class ball runner
Hope so OT. This is why the extra depth this year will provide competition for places which can only be good. Just hope the coach isn't fixated with certain players no matter what form they are in ( the Corey selections last year still baffle me ) Mind you the coach is also under the hammer so it may change his style to best players in every week ?

SGMax

Juniors
Payne Haas... if a free agent marriage with the Roosters
Yes I can see it. He would not go anywhere else

If Haas thinks he is underpaid now wait till he happily signs long term with the Roosters for half what he is currently on. Roosters are such a well run organisation......

With Due respect GC if Ford ( or Alvaro, the farmer,Kerr or even Burns ) get games in NRL 2022 then put the team down to a 12-16 finish. Unless they have a miraculous form spike which includes massive improvement in their defence & endurance , which was sadly lacking last season.
Oh they'll be playing first grade Denis. All of them. Over and over again.

Gareth67

First Grade

If Haas thinks he is underpaid now wait till he happily signs long term with the Roosters for half what he is currently on. Roosters are such a well run organization .
A nice little unit down at Coogee Beach should well and truly supplement any shortfall Max . ( they do own Coogee don’t they , or is it just Bondi ? ) 🤔

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade

If Haas thinks he is underpaid now wait till he happily signs long term with the Roosters for half what he is currently on. Roosters are such a well run organisation......
True but he will learn to play and win at golf
or monopoly quickly for real houses and hotels

Reactions: jak

AyiosYiorgos

Coach

is anyone able to post this article please
George Burgess has heard all the talk.
He should enjoy retirement rather than attempt a comeback from hip resurfacing surgery. The Dragons are too old and destined for the wooden spoon.

They're comments Burgess understands.
Read more: Tonegato adopts pro mindset in return to rugby league
The English prop struggled in a brief stint for Wigan last year. St George Illawarra closed out 2021 with eight-straight losses on the back of Paul Vaughan's barbecue.
But for Burgess, they're wide of the mark.
"The perception has been impacted a lot by last year and the way the season ended," Burgess told the Mercury. "Any team that finishes by losing their last eight games, it doesn't look good.
"You've got to look at the season as a whole. The way they started the season was promising and the roster we've got compared to last year I think is pretty good.
"Those guys who were there last year will take a lot from those lessons and that will help them out this year."
In many ways, Burgess himself is a perfect microcosm of the St George Illawarra Dragons.
Written off as a has-been, few expect the prop to have an impact in his return to the NRL, just like few expect the Dragons to contend for the premiership.
Coach Anthony Griffin has come under heavy criticism for his recruitment of Burgess, Aaron Woods and Moses Mbye, while allowing Matt Dufty and Cameron McInnes to leave.
Among the old heads are numerous younger players - new arrivals Francis Molo, Jaydn Su'A and Moses Suli set to feature alongside local juniors Tyrell Sloan, Jayden Sullivan, Talatau Amone and Feagai twins Mat and Max.
Burgess is adamant St George Illawarra are not making up the numbers and he's adamant he can regain the form that saw him play a crucial role in South Sydney's 2014 premiership.
"I want to play every game and help the Dragons get into the finals," he said. "We've got a lot of potential in this team to win some trophies, I want to be a part of it.
"South Sydney were in a similar position when I arrived. It was a long time since they'd won a premiership as well. Hopefully I can have that same impact on the Dragons as I did with Souths 10 years ago."
The 29-year-old will make a much-anticipated return to competitive rugby league in St George Illawarra's trial against Parramatta at CommBank Stadium on Sunday night.
The bulk of the Dragons stars will sit out the contest, with Jack de Belin and Andrew McCullough among those likely to play.
Burgess is set to play 20 minutes off the bench, his first major test since undergoing surgery last April.
Having completed a full pre-season for the first time in eight years, the veteran is excited to enter the season fully fit and pain free.
Sunday night, Burgess feels, is the perfect starting point for what he hopes is a successful, and lengthy, return to the NRL.
"I'm really confident," he said. "We're all pretty clear on what our jobs are now as a team. Everyone's eager to get into some games and put the training into action.
"I'm going to have a good little 20-minute stint off the bench in the second quarter. We'll see how I go, I might play a little more in the second half.
"I'll get myself ready for the week after, playing a bit more the following week in the Charity Shield."