What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

qld redvee

Juniors
If you run the club well and have the best coaches in place the players will take less to stay it is simple. Look at all the big clubs not only in the NRL but Soccer. The coach plays a huge role which our club just simply not understand. When we had Bennett we had the same luck, we had players committing or coming to Saints simply to play under Bennett. Robbo got "The Cheese" for unders and he was from Melbourne. If you have a great coach and he is implementing a style of footy that is exciting and producing results then players will want to be part of that.

Meanwhile we have 27 players reported not turning up to the Saints end of year function as reported in the paper (SMH) today. The team is a mess and the club is dong nothing about it but waiting for another wasted off season.
Slip,
pitiful turn up of players agreed but due to lateness of event to tie in with the womans awards then you wouldnt really expect simms mcguire and others that have left to turn up BUT should be something that you would expect all players to want to attend ( especially with culture of club being so important ) Woods should of been there to say thanks to Griffin for getting him a new contract ...

justadragon

Bench
And its started. Who knows what's true and what's not and we fans have 5 months of this before a ball is kicked in 2023. Every two bit hack journo and third rate publication will keep the story rolling along. It'd be great if the truth or fact get mentioned and quoted. A novel concept I know for social media. As I said, it's going to be a long five months.
There is only one person that can put it all to rest !!!

St Tangles

Bench
There is absolutely no excuse for the meagre turnout at the presentation

If everything was kosher at the club the players that are leaving would attend a function to say goodbye to their mates atleast

I can understand the players picked for rep duty that have left the country not going but anyone else not going speaks volumes for where the club is at the moment

Kolum Kid

Juniors
So Munster has agreed to stay at the Storm for $4m for 4 years instead of going to the Dolphins for $5.6m for 4 years if figures in the papers are correct or near being correct. This is basically his last big contract. He has left $1.6m on the table which raises a few a questions for me:
1. Munster is stupid and can't count.
2. He should sack Anasta who can't count.
3. Munster is not interested in making the most money he can.
4. Munster will receive the difference in other ways.

How can lesser teams compete when you offer someone 40% more per season and would be the marquee signing with all the benefits it would attract, be closer to your family, yet you get knocked back?
Players will sign for less at some top clubs, but if anyone believes Munster left $1.6m on the table I'd suggest you also believe in the Easter Bunny

Lethal25

Juniors
Players will sign for less at some top clubs, but if anyone believes Munster left $1.6m on the table I'd suggest you also believe in the Easter Bunny
I agree, but in this case I actually think he signed for more than his previous contract. Arguably in the prime of his career and had a season where at times he dominated.

I believe you'll find his NRL contract in the fiction section of the library

Jeremy Dragon

Juniors
We all need to remember that a large part of the reason for Sullivan not playing much first grade this year was because of his hamstring issues. He wasn’t playing much of any grade for a fair hunk of time.
Bullshit missed the first 4 rounds and a one later on played total of 18 games in both grades out of 24 games

Parko1310

Juniors
Bullshit missed the first 4 rounds and a one later on played total of 18 games in both grades out of 24 games
For sure, but Bud's injury meant he was out at the start and lost the five-eighth spot to Junior because of it. I think he was probably likely to win that battle if not for the injury. He missed the charity shield with the injury as well. Even when Junior was dropped to the bench, Bud was only just back from injury and had to get some match fitness in koe.

It only took two second grade games for Bud to be in the first grade side, by which time Junior had reclaimed the five-eighth position and was improving week-on-week there. He could have been the 14, but Mbye is definitely of more utility value than Sullivan and I think they simply wanted him playing 7 in reserves to gain experience playing there after not doing much of it for 3 or so years due to injury, covid, etc.

Maddragon99

Juniors
So Munster has agreed to stay at the Storm for $4m for 4 years instead of going to the Dolphins for $5.6m for 4 years if figures in the papers are correct or near being correct. This is basically his last big contract. He has left $1.6m on the table which raises a few a questions for me:
1. Munster is stupid and can't count.
2. He should sack Anasta who can't count.
3. Munster is not interested in making the most money he can.
4. Munster will receive the difference in other ways.

How can lesser teams compete when you offer someone 40% more per season and would be the marquee signing with all the benefits it would attract, be closer to your family, yet you get knocked back?
Perhaps Bennett’s mystique is fading given that both Munster & Hunt chose not to return to Queensland & extend prior to 1st November. Whatever influenced them it wasn’t money.

For sure, but Bud's injury meant he was out at the start and lost the five-eighth spot to Junior because of it. I think he was probably likely to win that battle if not for the injury. He missed the charity shield with the injury as well. Even when Junior was dropped to the bench, Bud was only just back from injury and had to get some match fitness in koe.

It only took two second grade games for Bud to be in the first grade side, by which time Junior had reclaimed the five-eighth position and was improving week-on-week there. He could have been the 14, but Mbye is definitely of more utility value than Sullivan and I think they simply wanted him playing 7 in reserves to gain experience playing there after not doing much of it for 3 or so years due to injury, covid, etc.
Mbye May be more versatile but Bud is more impactful

Parko1310

Juniors
Mbye May be more versatile but Bud is more impactful
Agreed, mbye is just that better traditional "utility". However, we have jack bird in the team who can play that role anyway. The worry then is, our forward pack is filled with reserve graders bar 2-3 of them and moving bird out of the forwards to accomodate an injury in the backs is detrimental to our pack in any given game due to a severe lack of depth.

SEAT 1A

Bench
Lomax , Hunt , Molo , gee that's a great look for the club , end of season function ...... For what ever reason 27 no show ..... All good that would have left more food for Hook and the Board to get stuck into ......

They were all out on their own mad Monday on the same night as award night.

Not happy campers however, it was a player award night. There is a difference between having issues with the club and showing support your fellow players.

Trifili13

Juniors
If you run the club well and have the best coaches in place the players will take less to stay it is simple. Look at all the big clubs not only in the NRL but Soccer. The coach plays a huge role which our club just simply not understand. When we had Bennett we had the same luck, we had players committing or coming to Saints simply to play under Bennett. Robbo got "The Cheese" for unders and he was from Melbourne. If you have a great coach and he is implementing a style of footy that is exciting and producing results then players will want to be part of that.

Meanwhile we have 27 players reported not turning up to the Saints end of year function as reported in the paper (SMH) today. The team is a mess and the club is dong nothing about it but waiting for another wasted off season.
While I agree that some players are happy to take less to go to a bigger club or better coach in soccer, this is not a good comparison when it comes to the NRL given the vastly different somes of monies. A soccer player earning say $4m per year in Europe might give up $500k per year over a 4 year contract so would still earn $14m instead of $16m. I highly doubt Munster is leaving $1.6m on the table from $5.6m to $4m.

Latest posts