What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Iron Mike

Juniors
At this stage I'd say shoot out between Fui and Burns, with Kerr hoping for a bench spot, probably as middle. However I would say that this is the spot they are trying hardest to fill, so could still see some movement before the season starts.
Moses Suli to left side second Row.
Matt Feagai to left centre
Tyrell Sloan to left wing
Any coach of first grade standard would easily recognise Suli’s inefficiencies as a centre. If he can’t play out the 80minutes in S Row , then bring on one of the young blokes like Ryan Couchman off the bench.
Matt Feagai was probably our most improved player in 2022 and needs to see more ball in hand.
These are the sort of changes required to take us to the next level , but it remains to be seen if Hook has the foresight to make it happen.

denis preston

First Grade
Moses Suli to left side second Row.
Matt Feagai to left centre
Tyrell Sloan to left wing
Any coach of first grade standard would easily recognise Suli’s inefficiencies as a centre. If he can’t play out the 80minutes in S Row , then bring on one of the young blokes like Ryan Couchman off the bench.
Matt Feagai was probably our most improved player in 2022 and needs to see more ball in hand.
These are the sort of changes required to take us to the next level , but it remains to be seen if Hook has the foresight to make it happen.
As bad as we played last year Suli was one of our very few good players SO why move him ????

Iron Mike

Juniors
Suli’s style of play resembles nothing like a top class centre. For example Mark Gasnier and Mark Coyne were probably our best centres we have had in last 40 years. Both had good speed, agility, could step and hand great hands . Suli has none of the above. Suli’s poor agility is further exposed in the centres rather than S row. His only asset is to gain metres which again is better suited to S Row

carltonsouth79

First Grade
At this stage I'd say shoot out between Fui and Burns, with Kerr hoping for a bench spot, probably as middle. However I would say that this is the spot they are trying hardest to fill, so could still see some movement before the season starts.
My thinking too. Kerr was on the outer last year but not moved on so must be a possible. Burns seems to be well regarded by Hook. Still time to recruit

Iron Mike

Juniors
I am pretty sure that Lomax just moved to left centre against the Broncos to accommodate Katoni Staggs. I believe he will go back to right centre in 23.

Iron Mike

Juniors
Suli is the prime target for every coach when playing Saints. Gets burned on the outside almost every week. Can’t pass to save his life. If we want to change the outcome of our position on the ladder then changes like this must happen.
Otherwise expect the same result

shiloh dc

Juniors
This is the most depressing off season I can remember in nearly 50 years. Terrible recruiting, constant hammering by press (most with agendas) and the realisation there doesn't appear much on the horizon. One or two key injuries and we will fall into the dungeon of the abyss we care currently in. Honestly, I cannot recall an announcement or read a post since 2011 where i've felt the club is going forward and is in good hands. I think it was around 2011 where the salary cap rose significantly. That has contributed to the mess we're in today as the Board is under-resourced and cannot compete with other cashed-up creative boards/owners.

Crush

Coach
Suli is the prime target for every coach when playing Saints. Gets burned on the outside almost every week. Can’t pass to save his life. If we want to change the outcome of our position on the ladder then changes like this must happen.
Otherwise expect the same result
Best thing to happen in 2022 was Suli.
He’s the absolute least of our MANY problems.
If you think he’s the prime target for every coach then maybe you have taken too many hits on the chin Iron Mike.

Iron Mike

Juniors
Des Hasler had Morgan Harper and Brad Parker ahead of Suli at Manly for good reason , and Neither Harper or Parker are what you would call Gun centres.
If the Dragons call on Hasler to replace Hook you can bet on Suli getting punted or at least moved to back row.

Gareth67

First Grade
1. Sloan
3. Ramsey
11. Suli
If Ramsey has completely recovered from his illness then he would be the better of the two for the fullback role .

Sloan has been in the position , but has failed to impress , more so in his final game there where he allowed the ball to bounce as if he was a distant relation of Mr. Duffy .

Undoubtedly Sloan has plenty of speed , but we need to someone with a bit of size at fullback to tackle . I am not saying that is Ramsey’s strong point , however to me he offers much more than Sloan in that position .

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
This is the most depressing off season I can remember in nearly 50 years. Terrible recruiting, constant hammering by press (most with agendas) and the realisation there doesn't appear much on the horizon. One or two key injuries and we will fall into the dungeon of the abyss we care currently in. Honestly, I cannot recall an announcement or read a post since 2011 where i've felt the club is going forward and is in good hands. I think it was around 2011 where the salary cap rose significantly. That has contributed to the mess we're in today as the Board is under-resourced and cannot compete with other cashed-up creative boards/owners.
Completely agree Shiloh , usually there is a player of note that is a chance of going up to Wollongong , but as you have said this off season no one .

Webb said that the Dragons had money to use , however apparently they are waiting on the salary cap to be announced ( as are many clubs ) to see whom is available .

The clubs mistake for too many seasons of late is to snag a quality player for an outrageous amount of money and long term , only to discover that they have hamstrung themselves for a number of years thereafter .

We can only hope that should they sign a couple of decent players , then they do so with the future in mind in terms of both the bank balance and the prospective players true worth .

Last edited:

kit66

Bench
Des Hasler had Morgan Harper and Brad Parker ahead of Suli at Manly for good reason , and Neither Harper or Parker are what you would call Gun centres.
If the Dragons call on Hasler to replace Hook you can bet on Suli getting punted or at least moved to back row.

Who cares what Hasler thinks. Last year he had a very good team to run out every week, great forward pack, spine and wingers and could only manage 9 wins and 11th on the ladder, I wouldn't be putting too much faith in Dessie's opinion.
And anyway 2021 with Suli in the team they won 16 games and finished 4th.

I want a rampaging, 110kg, 24 year old Suli playing out wide, averaging 143 mtrs a game all year. Leave the forward work to forwards and let Suli do his thing. There's nothing wrong with his passing either.

Parko1310

Juniors
Suli is not the primary target, he actually substantially improved his defence last year which was impressive and made the right decision on almost every occasion. We saw in the trials he can pass, he either didn't want to last year or was told to just run and at times might have overdone it. Lomax is the target for oppositions, can be a clueless defender.

Latest posts