What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Smurf

Juniors
Link isn’t working Smurf

Sorry about that
Not sure why

Short article says

Off-contract Penrith star Kurt Capewell is set to be hot property come this off-season, with North Queensland emerging as a suitor for the second-rower, reports The Courier Mail.

Capewell, 27, has been outstanding since signing with the Panthers from Cronulla ahead of the 2020 season, earning an Origin debut with Queensland where he played a key role in the Maroon’s origin series victory.

blacksafake

First Grade
Sorry about that
Not sure why

Short article says

Off-contract Penrith star Kurt Capewell is set to be hot property come this off-season, with North Queensland emerging as a suitor for the second-rower, reports The Courier Mail.

Capewell, 27, has been outstanding since signing with the Panthers from Cronulla ahead of the 2020 season, earning an Origin debut with Queensland where he played a key role in the Maroon’s origin series victory.
I’d pass on him.
Good player but imo not as good as they say, especially for the money he’d be after. Seems to be a bit of a mercenary & apparently what’s to go back to Queensland.

LINESPEED

Juniors
Another McDope move!
CC

And no wonder the reserves are playing so poorly

... they must be demoralised by the ‘pathway blocking’ acquisitions & buying-in rumours

A Club with a healthy pathways & secure coach should be debating who’s debuting & who’s being upgraded next?

I did wonder WTF Merrin was talking about in referencing something about young ones coming through

....and the Duff bashing hysteria bellows on

Dad used to say a bird in the hand’s worth two in the bush

Last edited:

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
Not sure if I have this right re JDB

But if he is not found guilt of the charges, his contract is paid by us as it is right now but we receive salary cap relief for all games not played through this period less a replacement player arrangement that may have been agreed to again?

My guess is that the NRL and dragons would have done everything to keep this quiet and out of the media.

lombard

Juniors
Not sure if I have this right re JDB

But if he is not found guilt of the charges, his contract is paid by us as it is right now but we receive salary cap relief for all games not played through this period less a replacement player arrangement that may have been agreed to again?

My guess is that the NRL and dragons would have done everything to keep this quiet and out of the media.
My understanding is the dragons are paying him only minimum wage right now and outside of the salary cap for this year. If however he is found not guilty, his new contract agreed to previously is then registered and we start paying that higher amount only from the registered date as he is then free to play.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
My understanding is the dragons are paying him only minimum wage right now and outside of the salary cap for this year. If however he is found not guilty, his new contract agreed to previously is then registered and we start paying that higher amount only from the registered date as he is then free to play.

Correct.
His contract with us, and ultimately the NRL expired Nov1 last year. Although he has signed a contract with us "in principle' thst wont be registered until given a favourable verdict. The contract would then start once it is registered with the NRL and be for the remainder of this season (Nov1)

Maddragon99

Juniors
I think his contract has been accounted for already. If he did come back we are pretty stacked.
I would love us to have a crack at Luke Capewell I think he’s a very good player

COWBOYS ENTER RACE FOR PANTHERS STAR

Panthers star Kurt Capewell is hot property, with the Cowboys emerging as the latest in a long line of contenders for the Origin star’s signature, according to The Courier Mail.

The 27-year-old has been in outstanding form for the Panthers this season after starring for Queensland in last year’s Origin series triumph.

Capewell has taken a new starting role in the second row this season and has four tries and 16 tackle breaks for the Panthers who remain unbeaten after seven rounds.

Capewell has already been linked with the Broncos and the Bulldogs to reunite with former assistant Trent Barrett.

The Panthers are dealing with salary cap pressures, which means Capewell is increasingly likely to leave, with a move back home to Queensland firmly on the cards.

Cowboys football operations boss Michael Luck revealed Capewell has the right experience, utility value and character to help improve the club going forward.

“We are OK for outside backs but Capewell is certainly a guy we are looking at to bring some experience to our side,” Luck told The Courier Mail.

Capewell has scored 14 tries in 79 NRL games for the Sharks and Panthers since his debut in 2016.

redv13

Bench
Sorry about that
Not sure why

Short article says

Cheers for clearing that up, much appreciated

Lindsay Moss

Juniors
As we all know, there are so many juniors that show potential in all clubs but it does not mean that they will all be great first graders. As you say be55, the coaching staff are in a better position to make better judgement than us on these players.

A guy like Gagai would definitely be a good signing, but I think Souths would be crazy to let him go.
your best juniors if given a chance usually make the grade. Hook has only been given two years he needs instant results no time to blood juniors just yet.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I would take Capewell in a heart beat. This guy is really good. See how he basically won the Origin Series on his own back. One of the best performances I have seen by a newbie on the origin arena. He would fit in well at Saints.

He declined Saints as Mary was in charge at the time. Smart move as he thought Mary would be coaching him for a few years and that would be a disaster for him so you cannot blame him for knocking the Dragons back.

Dragon David

First Grade
I would take Capewell in a heart beat. This guy is really good. See how he basically won the Origin Series on his own back. One of the best performances I have seen by a newbie on the origin arena. He would fit in well at Saints.

He declined Saints as Mary was in charge at the time. Smart move as he thought Mary would be coaching him for a few years and that would be a disaster for him so you cannot blame him for knocking the Dragons back.
Yes, Capewell is above average and we should go for him. A plenty of money offer.

Dragon David

First Grade
Cronulla will be searching high and wide for several players and I'm sure that Fitzgibbon will be sending his request to the recruiters at the Sharks to sign up Reynolds, Capewell to name a couple and because it is Fitzy, those players and others will want to join up for the right money and terms of course.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Cronulla will be searching high and wide for several players and I'm sure that Fitzgibbon will be sending his request to the recruiters at the Sharks to sign up Reynolds, Capewell to name a couple and because it is Fitzy, those players and others will want to join up for the right money and terms of course.
That is the annoying thing about Fitzy going there. One more club with a desirable coach we have to compete against. The more clubs that stink the less options players have and maybe they will come to the V. On another note though, the Rorters think Fitzy won't raid them but if his job is at stake he will.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Wow, Fitzy is unproven in NRL yet they have him as a top NRL coach already. With the Sharks high standards, making the 8 is not good enough, he needs to win the comp to please them, so he is definitely not guaranteed to go the 3 year distance. He may even get sacked after 10 rounds knowing the Sharks. If they signed Flannagan they would have had more pull in the market seeing he is a premiership winning coach. I don't see how a new coach like Fitzy would have more pull over someone who has got their team in the 8 or there about's. Look at Trent Barrett. Worst start in their history and everyone had them as a threat because of him.

Price came in under Bennett, then you have Holbrook, O'Brien, Siebold was the next big thing etc and they are not guarantee premiership winning coaches that is for sure. The best coaches in the game are still Bennett, Bellamy, Robbo and possibly Stuart all who have been in the game more than a season or 2. I suppose you can throw Cleary up there as well but again this is not his first gig and still without a winning a comp. They would still get their man ahead of Fitzy if push came to shove.

Dragon David

First Grade
That is the annoying thing about Fitzy going there. One more club with a desirable coach we have to compete against. The more clubs that stink the less options players have and maybe they will come to the V. On another note though, the Rorters think Fitzy won't raid them but if his job is at stake he will.
In a way just like Barrett. Where are the whiz kids in our catchment areas? We need plenty who bleed the red and white of SGI. We have several in the lower grades but will they be competitive enough?

The Rorters have a habit of whinging about their injury toll but I wouldn't mind some of their back ups to play first grade for the Red V.

Cronulla's planning for the future will probably make the club a genuine top tier one similar to the Storm, Roosters, Penrith and Souths. By doing this players with plenty of potential and already established ones will head to the Shire. Their juniors appear to be quite good and Fitzy will be able to pick and choose the cream for next year.

The Dragons must do something similar otherwise we will remain an also run club.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Wow, Fitzy is unproven in NRL yet they have him as a top NRL coach already. With the Sharks high standards, making the 8 is not good enough, he needs to win the comp to please them, so he is definitely not guaranteed to go the 3 year distance. He may even get sacked after 10 rounds knowing the Sharks. If they signed Flannagan they would have had more pull in the market seeing he is a premiership winning coach. I don't see how a new coach like Fitzy would have more pull over someone who has got their team in the 8 or there about's. Look at Trent Barrett. Worst start in their history and everyone had them as a threat because of him.

Price came in under Bennett, then you have Holbrook, O'Brien, Siebold was the next big thing etc and they are not guarantee premiership winning coaches that is for sure. The best coaches in the game are still Bennett, Bellamy, Robbo and possibly Stuart all who have been in the game more than a season or 2. I suppose you can throw Cleary up there as well but again this is not his first gig and still without a winning a comp. They would still get their man ahead of Fitzy if push came to shove.
It is not that he's a top coach, but a coach with connections.