What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Gareth67

First Grade
Apparently the Academy Awards ceremony is moving to Melbourne next year ! The Hollywood heavyweights are so impressed with the performance of rugby leagues Storm’s acting ability that a decision has been made to move the spectacle to Sin City Australia .

Also heard from my mate ‘ Hollywood Horace ‘ , that a special mention shall be given to Josh Aldo Carr for limping around the field with a expression of extreme pain and discomfort to his legs whenever tackled - as in tonight’s game .

In fact eerily similar to the performance he displayed after being tackled by the our man big Josh McGuire - who received 5 weeks due to Carr’s performance and the injured Carr ? Well his legs were not that bad after all , he went on to score 2 tries after the McGuire tackle .

The delaying tactics of lying all over the Broncos tonight is unbelievable and the referees failure to penalize the mugs is shameful . The Brisbane side were holding their own until the illegal play turned the tide .

The NRL would like a better game , then why don’t they have a crackdown on those tactics and actors . I am sure that the majority of league fans would support such a move.

Last edited:

Ghostrider22

Juniors
Apparently the Academy Awards ceremony is moving to Melbourne next year ! The Hollywood heavyweights are so impressed with the performance of rugby leagues Storm’s acting ability that a decision has been made to move the spectacle to Sin City Australia .

Also heard that a special mention shall be given to Josh Aldo Carr for limping around the field with a expression of extreme pain and discomfort to his legs whenever tackled - as in tonight’s game .

In fact eerily similar to the one he displayed after being tackled by the our man big Josh McGuire - who received 5 weeks due to Carr’s performance and the injured Carr ? Well his legs were not that bad after all , he went on to score 2 tries after the McGuire tackle .

The delaying tactics of lying all over the Broncos tonight is unbelievable and the referees failure to penalize the mugs is shameful . The Brisbane side were holding their own until the illegal play turned the tide .

The NRL would like a better game , then why don’t they have a crackdown on those tactics and actors . I am sure that the majority of league fans would support such a move.
Gareth67 nothing is going to change mate, it’s great to be in purple they can do no wrong. The problem as you know and everyone else they are the creators of what everyone has been watching since ‘99.

And the NRL allows it simple as that because they are to weak and and now it’s to late. A new law this week is as soon there is a hold down and 6 again they are supposed to go to the bin, the purple cheats did it twice in 2 tackles nothing happened. What more can you say.

Gareth67

First Grade
Gareth67 nothing is going to change mate, it’s great to be in purple they can do no wrong. The problem as you know and everyone else they are the creators of what everyone has been watching since ‘99.

And the NRL allows it simple as that because they are to weak and and now it’s to late. A new law this week is as soon there is a hold down and 6 again they are supposed to go to the bin, the purple cheats did it twice in 2 tackles nothing happened. What more can you say.

Your right Ghostrider , the NRL have all but hamstrung themselves by allowing the sods so much latitude in the first instance and like an army of mercenaries the Storm have taken advantage of that weakness , to the eternal detriment of the game .

I realize that I am not the only person that feels this way , however as I said in my previous post , I thought that the Broncos were at least competing with the Storm at 4 nil , but of course the final score was a blowout .

Last edited:

blacksafake

First Grade

Also heard from my mate ‘ Hollywood Horace ‘ , that a special mention shall be given to Josh Aldo Carr for limping around the field with a expression of extreme pain and discomfort to his legs whenever tackled - as in tonight’s game .

In fact eerily similar to the one he displayed after being tackled by the our man big Josh McGuire - who received 5 weeks due to Carr’s performance and the injured Carr ? Well his legs were not that bad after all , he went on to score 2 tries after the McGuire tackle .

They tried clamping down on the wrestling two years ago. The storm & roosters were struggling coming to terms with it until the press whinged about too many penalties so it was forgotten about after the first five rounds.

Ghostrider22

Juniors
Your right Ghostrider , the NRL have all but hamstrung themselves by allowing the sods so much latitude in the first instance and like an army of mercenaries the Storm have taken advantage of that weakness , to the eternal detriment of the game .

I realize that I am not the only person that feels this way , however as I said in my previous post , I thought that the Broncos were at least competing with the Storm at 4 nil , but of course the final score was a blowout .
I know Gareth67 broncos looked so good in the say first 10 to 20 minutes should have scored probably 2 try’s, came up with 0 and the purple cheats scored and then never looked back

Gareth67

First Grade
They tried clamping down on the wrestling two years ago. The storm & roosters were struggling coming to terms with it until the press whinged about too many penalties so it was forgotten about after the first five rounds.

Well at least they tried , but not hard enough . So many members here realize that today’s game is a mere shadow of what it once was and I am not only referring to the ‘ golden years ‘ of rugby league in the 50’s to 70’s , but up to the early 2000’s .

However certain aspects of the game began to change and as each season past yet another , until we now have the very building blocks of rugby league totally altered which has the game on very shaky foundations .

This reasons for this are many and varied , however with the illegal tactics that are part and parcel of some teams uniform , to the games power brokers themselves . One major flaw of the NRL - imo - is that many of their hierarchy have no grounding in rugby league whatsoever .

V’landys from horse racing is an example , I mean should the NRL not fill these prominent positions to those who have 1st hand experience in the game itself , as actually playing rugby league ? To me looking at the game purely from “ how much can we get for our product “ is the wrong viewpoint . What I would consider to be the correct view is how could we make the game stronger , so as it survives for years to come .

Part of the answer is to completely stop the illegal and at times , downright infuriating niggling tactics that teams employ nowadays to get penalties , that would at lease be a step in the right direction .

However , I have got that of my chest , end of rant .

Last edited:

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Well at least they tried , but not hard enough . So many members here realize that today’s game is a mere shadow of what it once was and I am not only referring to the ‘ golden years ‘ of rugby league in the 50’s to 70’s , but up to the early 2000’s .

However certain aspects of the game began to change and as each season past yet another , until we now have the very building blocks of rugby league totally altered which has the game on very shaky foundations .

This reasons for this are many and varied , however with the illegal tactics that are part and parcel of some teams uniform , to the games power brokers themselves . One major flaw of the NRL - imo - is that many of their hierarchy have no grounding in rugby league whatsoever .

V’landys from horse racing is an example , I mean should the NRL not fill these prominent positions to those who have experience in the game itself ? To me looking at the game purely from “ how much can we get for our product “ is the wrong viewpoint . The correct one is how could we make a game stronger so as it survives for years to come .

Part of the answer is to completely stop the illegal and at times , downright infuriating niggling tactics that teams employ nowadays to get penalties , that would at lease be a step in the right direction .

It’s an interesting one. Agree with you assessment of the game being a shadow of itself Gareth. I do think however, that they do have the product in mind so it survives and that’s why they believe (i feel incorrectly) that they have to keep modifying the game to suit the TV viewer.

They have targeted scrums, draws, contesting the ball, knock ons, stripping as areas that needed modifying. Trouble is their alternative in my opinion is crap! I liked the scrum contest vs the laughable presentation now; enjoyed the rake back; the draw after 80 minutes; the belief that the ball carrier is required to hold possession, the cleaver ball distributing forward and the hip legs tackler. All gone, no more! It’s faster sure, but arguably, less interesting and a bit boring and more predictable than its older model.

I think it requires a lot more thought, rigor and discussion when changing ANY rules to the game than they have so far demonstrated before implementation to appease both the TV executive with the money supporting the game and the Rugby League fan and purist.

Last edited:

blacksafake

First Grade

V’landys from horse racing is an example , I mean should the NRL not fill these prominent positions to those who have experience in the game itself ? To me looking at the game purely from “ how much can we get for our product “ is the wrong viewpoint . The correct one is how could we make a game stronger so as it survives for years to come .

A fine rant too Gareth

blacksafake

First Grade
It’s an interesting one. Agree with you assessment of the game being a shadow of itself Gareth. I do think however believe that they do have the product in mind so it survives and that’s why they believe (not me) that they have to keep modifying the game to suit the TV viewer.

They have targeted scrums, draws, contesting the ball, knock ons, stripping as things that needed modifying. Trouble is their alternative (in my opinion) is crap! I liked the scrum contest vs the laughable presentation now; enjoyed the rake back; the draw after 80 minutes; the belief that the ball carrier is required to hold possession, the cleaver forward ball distributor and the hip legs tackler. All gone, no more! It’s faster, but arguably i find it less interesting and a bit boring and predictable than its older model.

I think it requires a lot more thought when changing ANY rules and a lot more rigor and discussion that they have current demonstrated before changes are implemented to appease both the tv executive and the money supporting the game and the Rugby League purist.
Agree with you, The no contest for the ball in today’s game is a shame.

Dragon David

First Grade
There is some rumour that some senior players want Vlandys gone. The Sydney Morning Herald and Foxsports news have articles on this.

Dragon David

First Grade
DCE?

If he is upset, tell his players to stop hitting people in the head
I think that in general most coaches and players are not happy with the way the new rules came in so heavy in the magic round and even up to now because of the inconsistencies of the penalties imposed. They clubs were told before that round but there was not proper consultation and even some of the coaches were not prepared fully and some still not.

These sort of rule changes should have waited until the pre-season and performed during the trial periods. All coaches and players should have received detailed instructions on how the new rules should be applied. It is not simply to stop players from hitting heads but also a raft of other matters like the proper tackling techniques required to avert hitting a player and avert the tackler from hitting his head, plus others.

There should have been an "instruction booklet" prepared to help with all of this together with a detailed list on how penalties would be applied for consistency purposes such as what constitutes sin bins, on reports, send offs etc. A hit to the head is a hit to the head so a penalty is given. If the player hit is sent for HIA, the offender should be sin binned for the same period and remain off for the duration of the HIA and if the HIA guy does not come back on then the offender is out but a replacement from the bench is allowed to take his place so that there would be 13 on 13 etc. This is an example of what the "rules book" and "instruction booklet" that all clubs should have and also published on the NRL.com site for fans to peruse as well.

We ourselves are jumping up and down and upset when we see one of our players copping it but yet another opposition player getting off. So if it is written in black and white every one should be clearer including the referees and bunker guys. Maybe there is something like this and if so, what are they complaining about?

V'Landys has done his best to ensure that the games came back on last year and he is continuing to make sure that in the interest of all players, their welfare is taken care of. All that the NRL needs to do now is to consult with the relevant players union and coaches and provide in writing a manual on the rules applications. That is how I think it could remedy the whole affair.

BLM01

First Grade
I think that in general most coaches and players are not happy with the way the new rules came in so heavy in the magic round and even up to now because of the inconsistencies of the penalties imposed. They clubs were told before that round but there was not proper consultation and even some of the coaches were not prepared fully and some still not.

These sort of rule changes should have waited until the pre-season and performed during the trial periods. All coaches and players should have received detailed instructions on how the new rules should be applied. It is not simply to stop players from hitting heads but also a raft of other matters like the proper tackling techniques required to avert hitting a player and avert the tackler from hitting his head, plus others.

There should have been an "instruction booklet" prepared to help with all of this together with a detailed list on how penalties would be applied for consistency purposes such as what constitutes sin bins, on reports, send offs etc. A hit to the head is a hit to the head so a penalty is given. If the player hit is sent for HIA, the offender should be sin binned for the same period and remain off for the duration of the HIA and if the HIA guy does not come back on then the offender is out but a replacement from the bench is allowed to take his place so that there would be 13 on 13 etc. This is an example of what the "rules book" and "instruction booklet" that all clubs should have and also published on the NRL.com site for fans to peruse as well.

We ourselves are jumping up and down and upset when we see one of our players copping it but yet another opposition player getting off. So if it is written in black and white every one should be clearer including the referees and bunker guys. Maybe there is something like this and if so, what are they complaining about?

V'Landys has done his best to ensure that the games came back on last year and he is continuing to make sure that in the interest of all players, their welfare is taken care of. All that the NRL needs to do now is to consult with the relevant players union and coaches and provide in writing a manual on the rules applications. That is how I think it could remedy the whole affair.
It is not the rules but like everything NRL no commonsense in its application, same as the bunker review
Trying to make a black-and-white out if grey when you cant
If 3 sets of eyes on field can’t see it then deal with it at match review like everything else
Keep bunker out of it as everything in slow motion looks worse anyway
If 3 sets of eyes see it then they judge on severity and thats where they can be instructed to be black-and-white and apply penalty only, send off or sin bin as they have the best feel for the game to deem what it is worth.

You see If they had not overloaded the officials with coaching and negotiation duties and instructed them to be reliant on the backup video replay instead of just reffing or side line duties applying rules, confidence in making decisions then we would not be in this mess.
Review great innovation but leave it for try scoring situations where their view is obstructed or clouded and just get on with it

blacksafake

First Grade
It is not the rules but like everything NRL no commonsense in its application, same as the bunker review
Trying to make a black-and-white out if grey when you cant
If 3 sets of eyes on field can’t see it then deal with it at match review like everything else
Keep bunker out of it as everything in slow motion looks worse anyway
If 3 sets of eyes see it then they judge on severity and thats where they can be instructed to be black-and-white and apply penalty only, send off or sin bin as they have the best feel for the game to deem what it is worth.

You see If they had not overloaded the officials with coaching and negotiation duties and instructed them to be reliant on the backup video replay instead of just reffing or side line duties applying rules, confidence in making decisions then we would not be in this mess.
Review great innovation but leave it for try scoring situations where their view is obstructed or clouded and just get on with it
Spot on.
The rules have always been there but for some reason most have been ignored for the last ten years or so, For some reason the refs have been too concerned with “coaching” the players instead of just reffing to the rules.
It pi55es me off no end listening to the ref telling the players what & when they can do it.
Things like release, dominate, stay behind etc, etc. If they’d have called high tackles, forearms to the heads, hands in the ruck, not square at marker, offside, forward passes & so on before them imo we wouldn’t be in the mess we’re in now.
Sorry about the rant.

Blood&Bandage

Juniors
Hey all, just venting, but with the amount of rule changes or cracking down on existing, I’d like to see the below:

Referee- only to use jumper number and captain, no names!!!

Referee to blow a penalty when players are offside. Stop telling them to get back and giving warnings. Use the side line officials for 10 metres (I wouldn’t mind going to 5 metres and reducing the interchange either)

All forwards must be in the scrum and bound. Half tells players when the ball is out, not the ref. Any early break/s from the scrum is a penalty.

When a ball is out of play. Time is stopped.

Thoughts?

Latest posts