What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Dragon David

First Grade
And what does it say about the nature of the Competition that we are still a chance to make the 8? The NRL head honcho's need a real re-think about the structure of the Salary Cap, TPA's, Transfer Fees for clubs producing juniors etc.

What does it say about the club when a team from a non NRL state has been the best team over the last 20 years? Are they well run etc blah, blah,blah. Melbourne isn't, never has been and never will be a rugby league city. Never. But the obsession with spreading the "brand" is totally at the expense of the heartland (Newcastle, Illawarra, Sydney West, all of QLD), but persist we must! I am so thoroughly sick the The Storm and everything about them.
This SMH article written by Andrew Webster in 2018 is worth a read.

BBTB

Juniors
And what does it say about the nature of the Competition that we are still a chance to make the 8? The NRL head honcho's need a real re-think about the structure of the Salary Cap, TPA's, Transfer Fees for clubs producing juniors etc.

What does it say about the club when a team from a non NRL state has been the best team over the last 20 years? Are they well run etc blah, blah,blah,blah. Melbourne isn't, never has been and never will be a rugby league city. Never. But the obsession with spreading the "brand" is totally at the expense of the heartland (Newcastle, Illawarra, Sydney West, all of QLD), but persist we must! I am so thoroughly sick the The Storm and everything about them.
I think it stinks.The storm has been give extra money in their salary cap for more than 10yrs.The NRL has favoured them over all NRL teams.
...Just because they wanted them to be success
in Victoria....an AFL state.The NRL is a very shonky organisation at best......& the Melbourne Storm are a close second.

Trifili13

Juniors
Really good post.

I'm increasingly of the belief that each year there are 4 or 5 clubs with good rosters, 3 or 4 clubs with obviously poor rosters and the remaining 8 or so are simply fighting to fill out the broadcast schedule come September.

It's interesting then to think of what separates those 8 teams. Certainly luck - both on and off the field - plays a part as does form and coaching. But there's never actually any chance of winning the comp so a "grand final" is really just scraping into those last four places in the eight.
While I agree with what you are saying, I think you will find that in most high level competitions, only a handful of teams (and in some cases it's a one or at best a two-horse race) actually have a chance to win the competition (not sure about American sports as don't follow the NFL, NBA or baseball). The rest just make up the numbers with the odd shock victory such as Leicester in the EPL a few years ago. I actually enjoy the relegation battle in the European football leagues and the emotion and drama of seeing your team survive or go down. Unfortunately we don't have the depth in player numbers and cost of travel is prohibitive for such a big country to have a second division.

Just wish the Dragon's were one of the 3 or 4 teams with a chance of winning each year.

Gomarchin

Juniors
We need an owner that cares and WANTS the club to succeed.

Simple as that.

We have an owner that doesn't care and probably wouldn't know whether we were 4th or 14th on the table.

But, the blame should be on the board who agreed to sell the club to WIN corp. How ironic??! WIN? We haven't done that since Bennett left in 2011.

Dragon David

First Grade

Simple as that.

We have an owner that doesn't care and probably wouldn't know whether we were 4th or 14th on the table.

But, the blame should be on the board who agreed to sell the club to WIN corp. How ironic??! WIN? We haven't done that since Bennett left in 2011.
Is there such an organisation called LOSE - Lost Our Saints Empire?

BBTB

Juniors
While I agree with what you are saying, I think you will find that in most high level competitions, only a handful of teams (and in some cases it's a one or at best a two-horse race) actually have a chance to win the competition (not sure about American sports as don't follow the NFL, NBA or baseball). The rest just make up the numbers with the odd shock victory such as Leicester in the EPL a few years ago. I actually enjoy the relegation battle in the European football leagues and the emotion and drama of seeing your team survive or go down. Unfortunately we don't have the depth in player numbers and cost of travel is prohibitive for such a big country to have a second division.

Just wish the Dragon's were one of the 3 or 4 teams with a chance of winning each year.

Simple as that.

Exactly, that was Doust's parting gesture. WIN gets to
reap the benefits. Of another
Shonky deal. Others tendered their price,for ownership of the stgeorge/ill club. Doust selected WIN..They take half of Club at 50% of it's TRUE value.Doust then resigned.
Then Andy Gordon is made
"Chairman of the Board".
And unbelievably f**kn "Doust" pops back up on the Board again,thanks to the stinking Gordon's. It's got to be illegal. And the NRL does
Nothing as usual.

Dragon David

First Grade
Shonky deal. Others tendered their price,for ownership of the stgeorge/ill club. Doust selected WIN..They take half of Club at 50% of it's TRUE value.Doust then resigned.
Then Andy Gordon is made
"Chairman of the Board".
And unbelievably f**kn "Doust" pops back up on the Board again,thanks to the stinking Gordon's. It's got to be illegal. And the NRL does
Nothing as usual.
I've forgotten how the ownership/BOD was before Bruce became part owner. Anybody know?

Como Connection

First Grade
Then Andy Gordon is made
"Chairman of the Board".
Nothing as usual.
Incorrect, Illawarra sold there share to Win.
CC

BIG RIG

Juniors
So now that Moses Mbye is officially signed who do you think will be next that the club chases

Has anyone heard any genuine rumours ?

Rob Dragon 1

Juniors

Simple as that.

And there it is folks, in a nutshell. One has to wonder what WIN's motivation was to buy out the Illawarra share? Surely they (and St George Bank) don't want to see the diminution of their brands by being associated with this rabble. Is there any table thumping and explosive outbursts behind close doors to the effect of "get this fixed and get it right or you'll be skinned alive". I suspect not. I keep coming to the conclusion that the purchase was ego driven, and a play thing for Bruce Gordons son, little Andy!

RedVee

First Grade
And there it is folks, in a nutshell. One has to wonder what WIN's motivation was to buy out the Illawarra share? Surely they (and St George Bank) don't want to see the diminution of their brands by being associated with this rabble. Is there any table thumping and explosive outbursts behind close doors to the effect of "get this fixed and get it right or you'll be skinned alive". I suspect not. I keep coming to the conclusion that the purchase was ego driven, and a play thing for Bruce Gordons son, little Andy!
The worst thing is that they gave away control to the Gordon’s as well

Nicholas Kosic

Juniors
Yes but what about St George bank ,are they happy with this pack of bushwhackers 🤬

BIG RIG

Juniors
I am very confused into where our squad is going for 2022

With Clunes release mayby Hook is freeing up cap space for a particular signing ?