What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Rob Dragon 1

Juniors
Agree, until we rid ourselves of this board,and recruitment department, we are certainly not moving forward. It all starts at the front office.
BBTB, good point re Recruitment. I know Possm has had it in for Millward for ages and I agree with him. How has Millward come out of the last decade unscathed? Has he got compromising photos of some of the board members? He has done a terrible job and yet he enjoys a free run at it.

blacksafake

First Grade
Gypsy, they're doing well because they are being properly coached. The unimaginably bad decision to not only appoint that idiot McGregor once (but then to resign him twice) not only led to poor on field performances but it costs you juniors who don't want a bar of it, and you cannot attract players of quality to the club as a result of it.

Two salient points here re that idiot McGregor:

i. Does anyone think that any player of quality or any developing player approached their managers in the 2014 - 2020 seasons and said "At all costs get me to the Dragons. I just have to play under Paul McGregor"? And don't throw me the Ben Hunt signing as a counter argument. His signing actually proves my point. We had to pay significantly more then he was worth to even get him thinking about coming to us. He was properly valued at about $600K; and not a cent more.
ii. For all of McGregor's "mates club support" has anyone offered that idiot another coaching gig, even as an assistant? And forget the bone that was thrown at him for the NSW U/18's.

Bad decisions permeate through an organisation for many years. We have all experienced the "dick head boss"; "the incompetent fool of a boss". They erode morale and ultimately performance. We have had this leadership vacuum at the Club since Bennett left. And then the Leaders become obstinate and entrenched in supporting their bone head decisions; hence the resigning of that idiot McGregor twice.."we'll show you supporters what's what". Leadership is absolutely paramount and we have very little to show.
Agree with the exception of calling him an Idiot, A term I would only use on myself or someone I know well in jest. But yes you're right as far as his ability to coach at NRL level & the fact his name is never mentioned as a replacement for any coach under pressure, especially from those Journos that continually stuck up for him is testament to this.

Gaygo

Juniors
Why was he allowed to leave. Former Junior Kangaroo if not mistaken. I know this is a fantasy but we long suffering fans need to have a say in who we want to wear the Red V and who we dont. After all we are the ones that put bums on seats and fill board coffers.. what for? So they can sit in their ivory tower and shop off players that we fans think are good for the club and will win us games.
Good luck with that Baggygreen.

Rob Dragon 1

Juniors
I agree, but out of curiosity what would you offer ( as an untried and very inexperienced player and keeping the cap in mind ) him ?
OK Denis, I would offer him the full time # 7 from 2023 after nursing him through again next season. Remember that he has played very little this season. I would be offering him 5 years at a starting point of $400K, rising to $600K in Year 5.

Shaun_Timmins

Juniors
The non-selection of St George Illawarra young gun halfback Jayden Sullivan in the Red V no. 7 jumper is puzzling given the Dragons season is gone and there’s nothing to play for.
Sullivan, 19, has long been spoken about as one of the best emerging halves in the NRL and is an out and out no.7.
But last weekend as the Dragons made it seven losses in a row since BBQ-gate the talented rookie played at hooker.
Rival NRL clubs are onto it and have already signalled an intention to make a play for the south coast junior once November 1 rolls around

If we lose this bloke they won’t have any members or supporters left

denis preston

First Grade
OK Denis, I would offer him the full time # 7 from 2023 after nursing him through again next season. Remember that he has played very little this season. I would be offering him 5 years at a starting point of $400K, rising to $600K in Year 5.
Well, i guess that you have to have belief that he is going to be a good to very good NRL halfback and your deal certainly does that and ties him up for 5 years. It would be very interesting to compare this to Lomax's contract. If he is on more than 500-550k a year it is overs and Sullivan already represents better value. In all that i'm still getting over Debellin getting a payrise of 200-250k a year for not playing !

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
Well, i guess that you have to have belief that he is going to be a good to very good NRL halfback and your deal certainly does that and ties him up for 5 years. It would be very interesting to compare this to Lomax's contract. If he is on more than 500-550k a year it is overs and Sullivan already represents better value. In all that i'm still getting over Debellin getting a payrise of 200-250k a year for not playing !
I think the clubs are in a tough position, as they have to predict what a player is going to be worth a year or two in the future. The clubs rarely win. If they are perceived as having paid too much to keep a player who they believe might be poached by another club, then they get bagged by the fans. If they don't pay enough and the player is poached, then they get bagged by the fans! Tough job.

thebigredv

First Grade
id 100% throw a 5 year deal at both amone and sullivan. in 3 years time we will be laughing to the bank

We MIGHT be. Precisely why we needed to see more of them this year but we just kept seeing Corey Norman. Not saying I haven't liked what I've seen but just not enough to confidently say either Amone or Sullivan will be high quality long term players.

I actually feel more confident about Sloan who was for some reason second choice to jack bird at fullback.