What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

qld redvee

Juniors
He is just another cocky prick that thinks he's bigger than the game. The ego of a bloke that shops himself around like he did, not the type of person I'd ever want to see in a Dragons jersey. Roosters probably a good fit!
and he is this way due to the media feeding his ego by making him out to be a "super player that is sooo funny etc " thats why he has developed into what he is today

Gareth67

First Grade
and he is this way due to the media feeding his ego by making him out to be a "super player that is sooo funny etc " thats why he has developed into what he is today

Ever so right qld redvee - he laps it up , I can see this bloke joining the ranks of former Roosters - the bubbler guzzler and the doggie grinder . 🙄

Last edited:

redVinme

Juniors
While Verrills may be an upgrade on Macca, the Roosters rarely release quality players.

All teams seem to release players due to salary cap constraints, especially after winning the comp but I can't recall the last time the Rooster's were under salary cap pressure. Even the Storm have had to release high profile players this year.

They do, they just medically retire them.....

blacksafake

First Grade
The part I liked was Politis calling the roosters players (from LA) during the gold game and asking them how they are etc.

Could you imagine the Gordons doing that? They probably couldn't name one of our players let alone find their mob numbers to call them.
Smith must be dumber than I thought if he thinks Politis calling the players whilst on the golf course was not prearranged

jak

Bench
While Verrills may be an upgrade on Macca, the Roosters rarely release quality players.

All teams seem to release players due to salary cap constraints, especially after winning the comp but I can't recall the last time the Rooster's were under salary cap pressure. Even the Storm have had to release high profile players this year.
so are you telling us the chooks are aware there is a salary cap?

Trifili13

Juniors
so are you telling us the chooks are aware there is a salary cap?
They probably read something about it in the papers and heard the term 'salary cap' mentioned somewhere but thought it related to other teams and nothing to do with them. 🤣

I will actually cut them some slack for next year as they have lost Cordner, Friend, Liu and the Morris boys which would have freed up some money although they have resigned Manu, Watson has returned and probably upgraded some players. I recall reading that when Cronk signed and everyone thought that they would have to release players and most probably Pearce, the Rooster's said they could keep both and still be under the cap.

Puff

First Grade
Anyone that thinks he hasn’t moved for the money is a moron. And if you believe reported salaries or suggested playing for unders, your further kidding yourself.

99 percent of these decisions are taken with finance and setting up the future in mind. He was after a massive payday, and anything his prewritten conferences say is just fluff and garbage, or stupidity when they aren’t prearranged.

RedVee

First Grade
Yeah but I can’t blame the players moving for the money. You’d think twice about some destinations but they are one blown knee from retirement.

Was it young Alchin we had come over to us and he blew his knee out in a pothole at his first training session with us?

TruSaint

Referee
FFbc4IaVIAE8I4F

Trifili13

Juniors
Yeah but I can’t blame the players moving for the money. You’d think twice about some destinations but they are one blown knee from retirement.

Was it young Alchin we had come over to us and he blew his knee out in a pothole at his first training session with us?
Yeah, all you hear is that the players have a short timeframe to make money and 1 bad injury and career is over. Yet for the teams at the top of the table we are supposed to believe that players go there for some massive unders. I would understand if a player that was offered say $700k to go to a weak team would stay or go to a better side for maybe $50k less which ends up being just over $25k after tax but some of the unders they are supposed to be accepting to me is ridiculous. Can't see players managers missing out on their cut of the fee.

Apart from a draft with lower teams getting first crack at the talent available or each player is allocated a points value and each team needs to stay within the points cap, I don't know how you stop the paper bags, payments to relatives and cushy jobs promised after career is over.

RedVee

First Grade
Yeah, all you hear is that the players have a short timeframe to make money and 1 bad injury and career is over. Yet for the teams at the top of the table we are supposed to believe that players go there for some massive unders. I would understand if a player that was offered say $700k to go to a weak team would stay or go to a better side for maybe $50k less which ends up being just over $25k after tax but some of the unders they are supposed to be accepting to me is ridiculous. Can't see players managers missing out on their cut of the fee.

Apart from a draft with lower teams getting first crack at the talent available or each player is allocated a points value and each team needs to stay within the points cap, I don't know how you stop the paper bags, payments to relatives and cushy jobs promised after career is over.
Yep, some honesty would be nice.
“I am looking for the best financial deal I can get”…. Too hard?

Trifili13

Juniors
Yep, some honesty would be nice.
“I am looking for the best financial deal I can get”…. Too hard?
Yep, how many times do you hear "player X is after his last big pay cheque when he is about 30". If this player was at a good club for say $50k unders per year for the last 8 years, who in their right mind, apart from some poor bottom feeder club, is going to make up the $400k difference.

TruSaint

Referee
The constant media attention this Smith is receiving is music to his ears.

He knew too well, he would create a Storm ( no pun intended ). and went on the podcast anyway.

Guy thinks way too much of himself. Absolute twat.

Oh, and the hypocrisy of the NRL to investigate his "language", when they endorsed the MCGuire's Tigerland series which was basically a fu@kaothon.

qld redvee

Juniors
They could do it easy. All they need to do is release Verrils and that will free up about $1.2M.

In any case, I'm sure Smith would play for the Rorters on minimum salary just for the privilege of playing for such a great club.
Gippsy ,
Probably for the privilege of playing golf at a top course and winning a few holes from uncle nick whilst wearing a jersey he wants to win a premiership in ..................

qld redvee

Juniors
The bottom line IMO is that the NRL is fast become a joke with only about 4 teams been capable of winning the competition. The salary cap was supposed to stop this from happening but third party top ups are getting around it. Unless the NRL do something I think the fans like us will lose interest. Here’s my thought, third party dollars are limited to say 5% of the salary cap and must be spent on a minimum of say ten players.
Hewi,
why dont they look at a points system for players like they keep talking about - at least these couldnt be fudged ( probably will be somehow)

Gareth67

First Grade
because certain clubs won't let it happen
Hit the head on the nail . In my view the big boys of the NRL have allowed too much latitude in the games regulations which allow the big spending clubs of the game to maneuver - wriggle room .

In short as much as the appearance of a strict and firm rules may be , they have the same strength as a sheet of 2 ply toilet tissue .

The only way to correct this is to have the appropriate people in the game’s leadership roles - not those who appear to listen only to the whims of the more prominent club chairmans or perhaps even worse the television networks .

Last edited:

mickeylane

Bench
Way to isolate one player in the whole team salary cap. If he plays just like last season ( and there isn't anything to suggest otherwise ) it is still an upgrade of some of the plodders we had last year AND at not much more money.
Just saying one club looks to sign one of the worlds best players in their position and we are happy to sign journeymen even though I do think Woods will do well for us.

possm

Coach

I have always thought that all players should be contracted to the NRL and clubs then rent the players from the NRL on a two-year deal. Instead of a salary cap, clubs have a rent cap.

All player payments are made to players by the NRL through their managers. Players can be self-managed if they wish.

Latest posts