What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Flanagan at work already !
Former Cronulla head coach and current St George Illawarra recruitment boss Shane Flanagan looks set to attack his old side to secure a familiar catch.

According to reports from The Daily Telegraph, Flanagan currently holds an interest in bringing current Shark Briton Nikora across to the Dragons following the completion of his contract at Shark Park.
Not sold on Nikora atm- good edge runner but defence and discipline not so good imo. However, at 24 young enough for a good coach to improve.

blacksafake

First Grade
Part 2 of 2
Today's young guns remain under a microscope, but Soward feels an overall shift in the shape of NRL rosters post-NYC makes it a different scenario to that of his generation.
"When I was at the Roosters and we won Jersey Flegg undefeated, first grade had been to three grand finals in a row and Brad Fittler was one of the greatest players ever in the six," Soward recalls.
"I felt that pressure for sure. It was more of the off-field stuff and trying to fit in there. I think it was a lot harder than what it is today. It was just come in, put your boots on, and only speak if you're spoken to.
"You had seasoned first-graders everywhere. When you were playing reserve grade it was playing with and against first graders pissed off they weren't in first grade.
"I think it's a lot different now. There's a broader range of experience and you've got a lot of guys around you that have only played 10-20-30 games. You don't have to have played 60-70 first grade games to come in and express yourself."
That's certainly not an issue for Amone, Sloan, Sullivan and co. Their free-wheeling willingness to do so on the park is what's got people so excited.
Now on the Dragons coaching staff, it's something Soward shares, though it'll require some patience.
"I would hate to watch my first 60 games as a half," he said.
"You've got to be patient for sure, but last year was so good on so many levels for those guys getting that exposure to the NRL.
"Junior's one of those raw talents and he actually reminds me of Kyle Stanley a lot. He didn't have any luck with injuries, but he was just a natural footballer.
"He could play anywhere, was a big body and could do anything for your team. Junior reminds me of that with his five-eighth skills coming through being so elite.
"I think it's a huge learning phase for Tyrell at the moment. We've all seen what he can do with the ball, but the best fullbacks in the world do just as much stopping tries and getting people in the right position [defensively].
"Bud (Sullivan) has had some in-and-outs and a bit of a stuttered start with injuries but that natural game awareness is definitely there with him.
"The good thing is they've got the talent to be in that position, but there's experience around them so, when the ship starts rocking a bit, they can steady it."
Talent may be just one slice of the pie chart, but the trio tick plenty of other boxes. As young men, you'll hear nothing but good things.
The swagger's there, inevitable when winning's become a habit, but the ego that typically accompanies it is absent.
For his part, Amone isn't feeling any burden beyond nailing down the No. 6 jumper he finished last season in.
"I try and stay away from the media stuff. There's some good stuff out there and there's some bad stuff," he said.
"I try and steer clear of it either way. Read the good stuff and your ego will get up, read the bad stuff and it's getting to you.
"You can't avoid all of it. People say they don't see it but you're always going to see it, it's all over Instagram, Facebook, Fox Sports and all that.
"What people say and what people's expectations are, I don't let it get to me. We know what we've got to do to be a part of this.
"We knew coming into first grade, especially after last year, that there would be talk about us. We try and not focus on it too much.
"We just want to go out there and play footy. That's what we do best and I don't worry about the outside noise."
In perhaps the most ironic twist, the foreseeable future will see Amone in competition with Sullivan for the one spot alongside skipper Ben Hunt.
While it's "a lot different" to what they've experienced as a dynamic duo, Amone's confident it'll bring out the best in both of them in the long and short-term.
"People might look at it from the outside and think it's awkward but we know how it is. That's footy," Amone said.
"We've played together since we were young and never really competed against each other but we both want what's best for the team.
"With Ben Hunt there we knew we'd have to battle it out sooner or later. I'd rather have a battle with a close mate than someone fresh coming in because I'm still helping him get better and he's still helping me get better.
"You're not going to get the best out of yourself without that competition. You can't get too comfortable. If you are, you'll never hit your best."
Impressive trial form and a hamstring injury to Sullivan will see Amone get first crack alongside Hunt for Saturday's round one clash with the Warriors.
Hunt will be calling the shots, but there's a noticeable shift in the mindset of his young foil on the back of a full preseason.
"Last year I was coming in just trying to find my feet and hoping," Amone said.
"I wanted to train and prove to Hook (Griffin) that I am ready for that No. 6. I feel like I proved I could do that at the end of last year, but it's a different thing playing 26 rounds.
"I feel like I have to step up a bit and try to be more of a leader on the field now. It's definitely a different mindset this year."
Great read, thanks @AyiosYiorgos
For such a young age there appears to be a great level headed attitude amongst these young men which is a credit to them & their families.
Hopefully success follows them onto the field.

denis preston

First Grade
If i had to rate them on percentage chance of a great career I'd still put Sullivan first but certainly the other two will have more NRL experience by mid season to succeed. Good position to be in for the club and it may be the case of under coaching them and give them a lot of creative freedom. I get shivers down my spine thinking of what the last coach would have done to them !

Amone signed for 2 more season
I read Amone was contracted only till '23. Not so?
he will be again once he given a chance
I like being the odd one out here. I saw what Sullivan did in those few games he played at hooker last year. He was obviously playing out of position as he did not look all that comfortable. His cover was missing once or twice and his service not all that crisp. The only footage I have of him at half is from back in 2019 and he looked a natural.

Last edited:

Adolf_Spritzer

Juniors

I like being the odd one out here. I saw what Sullivan did in those few games he played at hooker last year. He was obviously playing out of position as he did not look all that comfortable. His cover was missing once or twice and his service not all that crisp. The only footage I have of him at half is from back in 2019 and he looked a natural.
Of course you do, you're the forum contrarian after all 😅

BLM01

First Grade

"I read Amone was contracted only till '23. Not so?"
So.. he is signed till th end of 23 which is 2 seasons incl this year