What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Old Timer

Coach
Neither of the amalgamated clubs are attractive in any respect and only $$$ will get players to come regardless of whether they are good one's or mediocre one's.

If not for the great crop of juniors created under Brown 2009 - 2011 wouldn't have happened.

We again must go back to our junior stocks and create a pathway through and then add the finishing touches as Bennett did.

Not easy to do and also very painful but essential.

However in doing so this place needs to understand not many of the juniors coming through are going to make it and we need to stop agonising over every one that might leave us.

If they do leave then back to the well we go and forget about $1m / year signings like Hunt or ridiculous upgrades like JDB until such times as we have most of the ducks lined up.

We panic far too often.

Dragon David

First Grade
I'm not convinced that Spencer Lenui will be leaving the Panthers.

LIKELY PANTHERS STARTING 17 FOR 2023

1. Dylan Edwards

2. Brian To’o

3. Izack Tago

4. Stephen Crichton

5. Taylan May

6. Jarome Luai

7. Nathan Cleary

8. James Fisher-Harris

9. Mitch Kenny

10. Moses Leota

11. Luke Garner

12. Liam Martin

13. Isaah Yeo

14. Soni Luke

15. Scott Sorensen

16. Spencer Leniu

17. Jaeman Salmon (off-contract)

The above is from Foxsports news and doesn't mean that the team will in fact consist of those players but it shows Salmon being off contract but not Lenui so what goes on?

Parko1310

Juniors

1. Dylan Edwards

2. Brian To’o

3. Izack Tago

4. Stephen Crichton

5. Taylan May

6. Jarome Luai

7. Nathan Cleary

8. James Fisher-Harris

9. Mitch Kenny

10. Moses Leota

11. Luke Garner

12. Liam Martin

13. Isaah Yeo

14. Soni Luke

15. Scott Sorensen

16. Spencer Leniu

The above is from Foxsports news and doesn't mean that the team will in fact consist of those players but it shows Salmon being off contract but not Lenui so what goes on?
Because salmon is off contract this year, leniu is off contract next year. Fox just predicting salmon will be re-signed.

possm

Coach
Neither of the amalgamated clubs are attractive in any respect and only $$$ will get players to come regardless of whether they are good one's or mediocre one's.

If not for the great crop of juniors created under Brown 2009 - 2011 wouldn't have happened.

We again must go back to our junior stocks and create a pathway through and then add the finishing touches as Bennett did.

However in doing so this place needs to understand not many of the juniors coming through are going to make it and we need to stop agonising over every one that might leave us.

If they do leave then back to the well we go and forget about $1m / year signings like Hunt or ridiculous upgrades like JDB until such times as we have most of the ducks lined up.

We panic far too often.
There can be only one reason why the St George Illawarra junior pathways structure is not as good as the Panther's structure. To me our BOD just are too lazy to put in the necessary effort to make it happen.

Parko1310

Juniors
Speaking of the attractiveness of our club in comparison to the tigers, what's happening with our high performance centre? Last heard that state gov might not actually give up funding for the facility, but have heard nothing from the club since the announcement it was going to happen. No update about when it's expected to begin construction or if it even will begin anymore in the forceable future. Anyone with any connections in the club or anything actually know what is going on?

Trifili13

Juniors

1. Dylan Edwards

2. Brian To’o

3. Izack Tago

4. Stephen Crichton

5. Taylan May

6. Jarome Luai

7. Nathan Cleary

8. James Fisher-Harris

9. Mitch Kenny

10. Moses Leota

11. Luke Garner

12. Liam Martin

13. Isaah Yeo

14. Soni Luke

15. Scott Sorensen

16. Spencer Leniu

And to think all teams basically spend the same amount of the salary cap. We have 1 team that has made the last 3 GFs and won 2 of them, and then you have JVs, mergers, whatever you want to call them like us and the Tigpies, who were sold to their members that they were creating super clubs, yet can't even make the 8. And on top of that have to bend their cap out of shape to attract a decent player who still knocks them back.

TruSaint

Referee
Im old enough to remember Saints just missing out on winning the old " all 3 grades ".
It meant something then and it does now.

Penrith will be a force for a long time.

They are a powerhouse club now. They will miss Api and co., but they will be there at the end of next season.

Cleary, Luai, and Edwards are 24, 25 and 26 years old. They will be the basis for the next 5 years or so until the next batch come through.

Watching the GF, not for one moment did i think they would lose. Composed, almost perfect first half.

Hard to begrudge their success.

since77

Juniors
Im old enough to remember Saints just missing out on winning the old " all 3 grades ".

They are a powerhouse club now. They will miss Api and co., but they will be there at the end of next season.

Cleary, Luai, and Edwards are 24, 25 and 26 years old. They will be the basis for the next 5 years or so until the next batch come through.

Watching the GF, not for one moment did i think they would lose. Composed, almost perfect first half.

And unlike Melbourne, they don’t cheat.

carltonsouth79

First Grade

We panic far too often.
Good analysis OT. Penrith are a powerhouse even with teams like the Rorters also targeting some of their junior clubs for recruits. Massive strength with the large Polynesian communities. Also I feel the joint venture clubs do suffer from split home grounds. The non - venture clubs can put all their focus, money and marketing on one ground, generally in their heartland. Living in the Mountains I see the Panthers complex regularly. It’s growing, and likely a new super stadium as well.
The community is united and central. We seem quite disparate and lacking focus in many ways. Same fate seemingly for the Tigers as well. Not sure of an answer, if there is one.

Nanadragon

Juniors

1985 - I was there TruSaint and remember it well. Won 3rd grade, Reserve grade but lost 7-6 to the Bulldogs in the big one. I think we also won the Club championship that year. My 2 kids and I didn't go home happy that day.

BLM01

First Grade
1985 - I was there TruSaint and remember it well. Won 3rd grade, Reserve grade but lost 7-6 to the Bulldogs in the big one. I think we also won the Club championship that year. My 2 kids and I didn't go home happy that day.
Was it not long after that game and Burgess taking bombs all day in goal and us having to drop out, caused them to change the rules to a restart to the defensive side when taking it on the full in goal?

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Was it not long after that game and Burgess taking bombs all day in goal and us having to drop out, caused them to change the rules to a restart to the defensive side when taking it on the full in goal?
Plus, Graeme Wynn was ‘taken care of’ …. that might be somewhat questioned today. We also lost John Fifita for the GF would gave been handy! Our centre choices were Chris Johns, Michael Beatie, Brian Johnston or Michael O’Connor…. not a bad headache to have.

Parko1310

Juniors
The infamous bbq gate house has officially been leased out. The article describes the bedrooms as "spacious" with "plenty of places to hide". In all seriousness, the sooner vaughn jets off to england and gets away from lomax, the better it will be for us in my opinion. I can't say I think he was the greatest influence.

Gomarchin

Juniors
And to think all teams basically spend the same amount of the salary cap. We have 1 team that has made the last 3 GFs and won 2 of them, and then you have JVs, mergers, whatever you want to call them like us and the Tigpies, who were sold to their members that they were creating super clubs, yet can't even make the 8. And on top of that have to bend their cap out of shape to attract a decent player who still knocks them back.
I can't speak for the Tigers but the difference between the Panthers and Dragons is the front office/BOD.

They have one that planned for success and put everything in place to achieve that long term.

We have a BOD that is happy to compete and success = avoiding the spoon each year.

Latest posts