What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

saintmar

Juniors
Does Bud know that next year is 2023? He still can be the No.7 in 2024? Saints have not really lied to him as 2023 can be used to give him more experience to NRL. It is the Bulldogs clearly driving this promising him more than what Saints are for 2023. Why is the NRL not stepping in seeing every article with Bud has the Dogs "waiting in the wings to see what happens" or "monitoring the situation" inserted which is clear he is tapped up.

For Gus to want him this bad that is a sign even more for Saints to keep him.
Spot On.
100% Correct

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Another year under Payten would be beneficial for Young.
Potter would be a good option for 2023. It would be a good oppertunity for him to show what he can do to secure a first grade role elsewhere.
No to Young he needs to stay away for another 5+ years and get a HC role with another club.
I honestly think Potter would end up the same at the Dragons will give us a lift for a few games then mediocre after that, we have Flanagan give him the job for 3 years will put the mongrel back into the team.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If Flannagan is desperate to land a head coaching role, I am sure if Saints give him 2023 to prove himself and then be re-signed based on results he would jump at the chance. That is if he is desperate for a return.

Saints have nothing to lose, if he goes well re-sign him, if not bring in Deano. This shows leadership and planning on Saints behalf and at least some ambition to improve on 2022 like most clubs in the bottom 8 have done. Gold Coast may be the exception as they have not done much to change from 2022 but the coach played his juniors so has a valid excuse as next year he will hope that they would definitely improve with 2022 under their belts. If they don't then he will be under pressure but at least he tried using the pathways system they have in place not ignored it.

True_Believer

Juniors
Gold Coast may be the exception as they have not done much to change from 2022 but the coach played his juniors so has a valid excuse as next year he will hope that they would definitely improve with 2022 under their belts. If they don't then he will be under pressure but at least he tried using the pathways system they have in place not ignored it.
By taking this path what happens in 24 if things don't improve or get worse?

1. Is it the coaches fault for not identifying the correct juniors?
2. Is it the coaches fault for not coaching the juniors properly?
3. Is it the coaches fault for bringing them through too quickly?
4. Is a year enough time to give a coach to develop youth in first grade?
5. How long do you persist with this scenario until something has to change?

I mean in the end, based on fans expectations, a coach can't win UNLESS every single choice made is a success AND he is successful immediately.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Cleary took that chance and look what happened? Sometimes it works sometimes not, at least you try. By doing so you have belief that these kids will come good and they will put in a good shift. Getting the old hasbeens instead is much more of a risk as we all saw. Injuries, poor discipline and a real lack of desire as they have been there and done that and looking to wind down their years in the NRL and get paid well. Youngsters on the other hand are looking to get the big pay and will put in much more effort.

As a club if Holbrook fails next season, give him a crack by bringing in some players that will help and see how he goes there. But in fail I mean GC come last. If they make top 10 that is some improvement based on junior talent.

I thought the GC played good footy in 2022 and alot of the losses were due to inexperience more than anything. They could definitely attack well.

slippery5

Juniors
I have to be honest I don’t care who our next coach is, as long as it’s not Hook.

Apart from Bennett you can’t predict who will succeed or not. Many including me thought Griffin would have been a good fit with his focus on youth, defence & discipline, unfortunately he’s been a disaster, we are a mess!

If Des is available I’d be happy with that, if not I’d be happy with Deano in 2024. Anyone who has the guts to shift Hunt to 9 so we can keep Sullivan.

I’m so frustrated & it’s only October, at least the cricket starts soon.
We can't wait for Deano in 24
We need some one in 23 !!!!!!!!!!!!

slippery5

Juniors
No to Young he needs to stay away for another 5+ years and get a HC role with another club.
I honestly think Potter would end up the same at the Dragons will give us a lift for a few games then mediocre after that, we have Flanagan give him the job for 3 years will put the mongrel back into the team.
There is more chance of Mary coming back than Flanno getting the coaching role....
otherwise he would have been one on the assistant coaches already, instead of been demoted from that role when Hook took charge.
Although I'de be happy enough with that over the current bloke it's like Possm's idea of signing Fafita & Turbo coming TRUE. (sorry Possm)

possm

Coach
But, someone’s gotta be the coach. At least Dean will have some experience - and he’s not Hook!
I don’t think the argument ‘he’s keeping hook so Dean can come later’ stacks up. If he‘s genuinely that dominant and Machiavellian he would‘t give a rats arse who the coach is for ‘23.
Dean has had a little first grade coach experience but nothing to writ home about. He would be a failure and so, I really don't want him on the coaching staff. Des is available, has the experience and is tough enough to turn this club around

possm

Coach
There is more chance of Mary coming back than Flanno getting the coaching role....
otherwise he would have been one on the assistant coaches already, instead of been demoted from that role when Hook took charge.
Although I'de be happy enough with that over the current bloke it's like Possm's idea of signing Fafita & Turbo coming TRUE. (sorry Possm)
Craig Young has his son lined up to come in 2024 however, the situation is so negative right now that he would not want his son to take on the Dragons just ow and so, Flanno or Hasler are the ones that might just get the job.

Latest posts